Yaesu: RT Systems software

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I am fixing to purchase a new Yaesu Ft-7900 and i currently have the RT systems software for My Ft-7800.
My question is will the programming software work on the new Ft-7900 or will I have to purchase software again or use chirp.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mikepdx

I am fixing to purchase a new Yaesu Ft-7900 and i currently have the RT systems software for My Ft-7800.
My question is will the programming software work on the new Ft-7900 or will I have to purchase software again or use chirp.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Look on RT systems site.
They specifically answer your question.

prcguy

RT Systems seems to isolate every possible radio so you have to purchase new software for any new radio you get. Same with their programming cables that don't seem to work with the factory software for the same radio. If I'm going to spend money on programming software I prefer to give my money to G4HFQ over RT Systems, he is much cheaper and his support is very good.

Chirp on the other hand is free and they are constantly upgrading software and adding new models. You can get programming cables on Ebay very cheap and I've had exelent results with Chirp.
prcguy

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
As commented before you will have to buy software for the new radio. The programing interface you will see and use is common. Tweaked a little or a lot as you move from tab to tab, each tab a different radio. Sometime you do not need a 2nd RTS programing cable. RTS specifies the cable per radio model and sometimes you get lucky and only have to buy the software. That happens when manufactured by the same company and vary similar in design. In the case of Icom 7100 I only had to buy the program as the factory supplies cable worked with RTS software. In the case of the FTM-400 radio you use a SD card to move data back and forth between computer and mobile installation.
Mike, KE5MC

P.S. Quick check on the RTS site and the FT-7800 and FT-7900 both use the USB 29B cable. Only buy the software!

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Last edited:

Colton25

If I have a cable already can I use it or must it be from RT?

RT Systems seems to isolate every possible radio so you have to purchase new software for any new radio you get. Same with their programming cables that don't seem to work with the factory software for the same radio. If I'm going to spend money on programming software I prefer to give my money to G4HFQ over RT Systems, he is much cheaper and his support is very good.

Chirp on the other hand is free and they are constantly upgrading software and adding new models. You can get programming cables on Ebay very cheap and I've had exelent results with Chirp.
prcguy

Colton25

I have a cable and I've set it up with the drivers but it's not being recognized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I've got to agree with prcguy. I have both the RT Systems and G4HFQ software for my 8800 and VX 170/ 270. I finde the G4HFQ to be easier to use and the support is excellent. Can't say the same with RT Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.