Multi-tone repeater controller with link ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

Greetings to all -

I have a question to see if anyone makes a certain all-in-one repeater controller. Here is the basic design I am looking for: a single repeater controller that Rptr Rx 147.600Mhz 141.3 and Rptr Tx 147.000Mhz 141.3 and send it out on a link radio, but then also Rptr Rx 147.600Mhz D023N and Rptr Tx 147.000Mhz 141.3 but does NOT send it out on a link radio.

I know I could most likely design one but why reinvent the wheel in regards to this design. Basically, we have a LARGE linked repeater system and sometimes we want to talk locally on the repeater. We do not have any other repeaters close by and thus need to use the same repeater. We want to be able to use the same CTCSS tone output so we can listen if someone else is calling us through the links or if someone is driving through the area.

Please I am just looking for information if something like this exists already and not trying to start a war on repeater design or why do this and not this, etc. Any help is welcomed!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Arcom RC-210 supports three repeaters and they can be linked together in pretty much any combination. A link can be one-way in that what repeater A hears goes out on repeater A and repeater B, but what repeater B hears only goes out on repeater B. Repeater ports can be repeaters or link radios.

The NHRC 7 is also an option, though I find it harder to program and less feature rich than the RC-210.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You can do this with DTMF commands to hook/unhook the repeater to the link port but it sounds like you want this to be a little more automatic by PL steering. Two channels on your radio, one local and one system, makes it foolproof.

The trouble is I don't know of any ham repeaters that will decode PL/DPL. Commercial community panels have the ability but only provide one port to run a single repeater. I'm not aware of any controller that combines the features you need to accomplish what you're asking. Anybody know?

That said, I have configured repeater controllers (RLC-2 if I remember) to do what you want. Just split the repeater out to two ports watching out for audio loading and such. Connect an outboard PL decoder to the repeaters discriminator audio and have that run the second port input. The rest is just programming the controller the way you want it. Really not hard at all.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
To expand a bit on the Arcom controller features, the use of "alarm inputs" and "events" will allow you to do what you want.

The PL decoder is not included with the controller. That being said, they are easy to interface. So lets say you want to decode tone 1 such that it provides local repeater use only and tone 2 enables a linked system. To do so simply requires that each of the PL decoders is connected to separate alarm inputs. Then, the controller is programmed by you to take the action you desire when the decoded input(s) are detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.