• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I cant get my Xts 5000 to pick up trunked P25 digital or digital trunking at all. I can get conv digital, I have checked control channels and system ids. I am lost at words please help.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
sys key

I thought the system id was the same thing as the system key.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
No. And quite seriously with a very intense stare: if you don't know the difference between the two, don't program trunked systems or personalities, especially someone else's. If you're programming for systems you're an administrator for, carry on, but I think most system administrators know the system mechanics better.

I do say that from a system user safety perspective and a criminal law perspective, and I'm quite serious.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
First off I have a department radio for public safety. My dad is the admin for that. This is a interstate construction company and I have the owners permission for it just trying to do it myself to save money.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Excellent, then do please carry on as if I didn't say anything.

The System Key is an authorization key carried by each radio that gives it the appropriate permissions to affiliate to a system. That key has to be added to the radio by the system administrator. Typically, unfortunately, Advanced System Keys are the most common type these days, and they are usually given a limited number of radios they can be written to by the manufacturer, based on the capacity of system the administrator has purchased.

Basically TLDR, the System ID just says which system it is. The System Key provides the appropriate permissions for the radio to use the system and be authorized by the system. System Keys are generally fairly tightly controlled both by administrators and the manufacturer. Best thing, get in touch with the owner and see if you can get the system key added to your radio. Once it's in there, you should be able to take care of the rest.

SCPD

QRT
Excellent, then do please carry on as if I didn't say anything.

The System Key is an authorization key carried by each radio that gives it the appropriate permissions to affiliate to a system. That key has to be added to the radio by the system administrator. Typically, unfortunately, Advanced System Keys are the most common type these days, and they are usually given a limited number of radios they can be written to by the manufacturer, based on the capacity of system the administrator has purchased.

Basically TLDR, the System ID just says which system it is. The System Key provides the appropriate permissions for the radio to use the system and be authorized by the system. System Keys are generally fairly tightly controlled both by administrators and the manufacturer. Best thing, get in touch with the owner and see if you can get the system key added to your radio. Once it's in there, you should be able to take care of the rest.

Where do you people get this stuff? Do you make it up as you go, or.... what?

System keys are not stored in the radio. At all. Systems keys, whether legacy or advanced, simply give the CPS user access to program trunking parameter fields within CPS for a specific system ID identified by the key. The radio does not know and does not care about the system key. Furthermore, ASKs do not count the number of radios they are written to, though they can be used to restrict access to a limited number of the various trunking parameters, as well as password protect the radio from reading and writing.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Where do you people get this stuff? Do you make it up as you go, or.... what?

Yeah, I just make everything up because that's fun.

No, I read crap information from some people on this website and unfortunately don't vet it before I pass it on, usually because it's about a system type or attribute I have relatively little prior training or knowledge on. Not a good practice, I know, but if you tell someone a lie enough times... we all know where that saying comes from, and yet I still fall for it. Apologies for the gaffe and thank you for the correction.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
First off I have a department radio for public safety. My dad is the admin for that. This is a interstate construction company and I have the owners permission for it just trying to do it myself to save money.

Should be pretty simple then.

First thing, did your dad give you a radio ID for the system in question? Or is the system even the one your dad is the "admin" for? If so, then as stated earlier, he will have the system key and be able to program it for you. If not you (or your dad) will have to get with the system owner and probably have them program it for you.

And do you want to talk on said system or just listen? And are you sure it is flashed properly?

Hmm...maybe it won't be so simple...:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.