Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I'm in the process of buying a 2m/70cm transceiver for use at home. What power supply should I look at? Its a TYT TH-9000 VHF FM 2M 136-174MHz radio.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. Samlex SEC-1223BBM and add a battery to it if you have frequent power issues.
2. Samlex SEC-1223 if you do not have power issues.

Either of them have more than enough amps for that radio. If you want to power an HF radio later, either one will also handle most 100 watt rigs. If you avoid transmitting at the same time, you can power both radios with one of these simultaneously.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Look for something like a switching power supply, 12 volts, 15 amps continuous.

If you plan on adding more equipment later on, consider purchasing a higher capacity power supply.
Some might balk at switching power supplies for communications use. A long time ago they were noisy and could cause a lot of issues, not so anymore. Used to be "good" ones were big heavy transformer based power supplies. They weighed a ton and generated a lot of heat. I'd avoid that unless you own stock in the utility company and have someone with a strong back to move it around.

Also, depending on what your intended use it, you -might- want to consider a power supply with a "battery revert" connection. These will allow you to connect a 12 volt gel-cell type battery. The power supply will keep it charged, and if the power fails, all your gear will still run.

Modern LMR radio systems almost all use switching power supplies. Get a good quality name brand model and you'll be fine.

happystuff

I have a TYT-9000 UHF at home hooked up to a 12V marine battery. Yes, I know a deep cycle battery would be better but this works for me under my budget. I've tested it to run solely off the battery for a week before I got impatient and hooked it back up.

Anyway, I have a lead acid battery maintenance / charger attached to the same battery.

It's basically the same setup you'd have running it out of a car, minus the car :)

Status
Not open for further replies.