New Ham looking for encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
I received my technicians license about a month ago and I am working on my General ticket to expand my knowledge of the hobby. I have been making contacts and really trying to be a good operator. I have been running into more experienced guys who can obviously tell I'm new and seem to take pleasure in making me feel inexperienced and almost unwelcome. Is this common? While I really do appreciate constructive criticism and helpful pointers I am an adult and I feel somewhat discouraged at times. I know not all folks are not like this. I am joining a local club to meet some people and to hopefully make some regular contacts. I'm just wondering if any of the more seasoned people on this forum remember going through this sort of thing.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As with life in general, unpleasant people can be found in all interactions with other people. A "BS/Unpleasant" filter button on every rig would be useful. I haven't seen an electronic version yet so many of us rely on the one between our ears. Learn to avoid and don't get discouraged... there are many pleasant and helpful hams out there. Be ready to encounter them whenever you get on the air or go to a meeting.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
Popnokick, thanks. That would be a great feature! It's not like I have thin skin, I work in a blue collar job and I'm used to "rough" individuals. I am keeping my chin up and really looking forward to getting more involved and learning all I can.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Von -

If you're definitely using good operating habits then you're already a better operator than them. When you find a noob just remember what happened to you and snap the cycle. Keep at it, get on HF with that general class ticket and avoid the local yahoos if that's what it takes.

People should exercise the "do unto others..." bit more often. Keep at it.

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
Von -

If you're definitely using good operating habits then you're already a better operator than them. When you find a noob just remember what happened to you and snap the cycle. Keep at it, get on HF with that general class ticket and avoid the local yahoos if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really like all the different aspects of amateur radio, it seems there is something for everybody. Thankfully there are people like yourself out there that are there to help newcomers and hopefully someday I will be able to pass on words of encouragement and share any knowledge I have as well. 73s!!!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, we do live in a new world these days, where people have little respect or patience for new operators. They, thankfully, are in the minority. I have seen some experienced hams with more of this attitude as they feel new hams did not have to work as hard as they did. However, I have seen new hams come on the air without any respect either. Some bring a CB mentality which will go over like a lead balloon. I would encourage every new ham to join a club [yes there are politics involved] to have the members get to know a new ham. There are a couple of threads on this already here. Just recently we had a new ham who came on every day asking for a radio check. He did get a few people talking with him the first few days, but I think the hams got tired of this after awhile. One day, a couple of Older Experienced Hams were having a conversation on a repeater and this new ham would continually throw out his call sign. The OEH did come back and tell him that they were having a conversation and would have acknowledged him is he had not been transmitting when the parties were talking. I haven't heard the new ham since. You really have to know when to enter a conversation. So I would encourage everyone to start operating the way amateur radio operators should. I would like to say that I have heard this OEH that blasted this new ham, also readily accept new hams as well. Although he has gotten a little turned off with people using hand helds and being chopy into the repeaters. And I don't blame him on this aspect. I hear a lot of newer hams not understanding why no one talks with them. The main reason being you can only hear 10% of what they are saying. Thus, find an Elmer and try talking with him through repeaters and simplex so that you know you have a good enough signal for a conversation.

Last edited:

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
On the topic of mentors, especially if they're well respected in the ham community, people will hear him/her talking to you and think "ok, so KF8xx is talking to this guy, maybe I'll say hi next time he calls out as well."

Or in my case when I was a new ham, my original mentor was so involved in the mentoring process that he actually sent out newsletters to all of the people he was working with and basically scheduled QSO's for us with topics to talk about. To this day, I'll never forget some of his lessons. A mentor is a great person to have around and is usually a fountain of knowledge whenever you need it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Well, we do live in a new world these days, where people have little respect or patience for new operators. They, thankfully, are in the minority. I have seen some experienced hams with more of this attitude as they feel new hams did not have to work as hard as they did. However, I have seen new hams come on the air without any respect either. Some bring a CB mentality which will go over like a lead balloon. I would encourage every new ham to join a club [yes there are politics involved] to have the members get to know a new ham. There are a couple of threads on this already here. Just recently we had a new ham who came on every day asking for a radio check. He did get a few people talking with him the first few days, but I think the hams got tired of this after awhile. One day, a couple of Older Experienced Hams were having a conversation on a repeater and this new ham would continually throw out his call sign. The OEH did come back and tell him that they were having a conversation and would have acknowledged him is he had not been transmitting when the parties were talking. I haven't heard the new ham since. You really have to know when to enter a conversation. So I would encourage everyone to start operating the way amateur radio operators should. I would like to say that I have heard this OEH that blasted this new ham, also readily accept new hams as well. Although he has gotten a little turned off with people using hand helds and being chopy into the repeaters. And I don't blame him on this aspect. I hear a lot of newer hams not understanding why no one talks with them. The main reason being you can only hear 10% of what they are saying. Thus, find an Elmer and try talking with him through repeaters and simplex so that you know you have a good enough signal for a conversation.

I will echo everything robertmac has said, and add the following. Listen and get a 'feel' for how the repeaters are used, and the 'cadence' of how the operators act.

Listen lots, and do not jump on everyone that calls out. We have a local guy that used to do that... A few of us traded phone numbers and would calla do 'save' each other when this guy used to jump on us, even when we were calling a specific different person.

Look for an Elmer, someone you 'click' with that is respected by the other hams, listen and learn what he has to offer. Most of all, do not come off as a know it all. You got to earn your 'cred' before others will take you seriously. Nothing worse that the new guy acting like he knows it all. It does not matter of you are a 25+ yr radio tech that manages an Astro 7.15 system, you still gotta earn your respect from others, it's not just given.

Most of all have fun. Locally a lot of folks have forgotten that.

Welcome to the hobby, there is a huge amount one can do, that is waiting for you explore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Go for the General ASAP! That way you aren't confined to repeaters and the bozos that are often on them. Now there are great ops on repeaters, but with the General you can try HF, PSK, CW! The world is your ham oyster! (is that a food group?)
It's really fun to work a new op on CW...you can tell by his slow and methodical way of sending. You go slow, help them along and often in just that one QSO you see a change in the new guys fist.
Enjoy the hobby...don't let the morons get you down!!!

Vondutch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the responses! I totally understand how one can get frustrated with ignorant behavior from a new person, or an experienced one for that matter. I think it probably comes down to respect and using common sense. I would never interrupt 2 people talking face to face, the same should apply on the radio. I have really been making an effort to listen how conversations flow and getting a feel for how it all works. The books teach you all the technical things but it seems opening one's ears is the best way to learn how everything is put into practice.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
The books teach you all the technical things but it seems opening one's ears is the best way to learn how everything is put into practice.
Good advice to give yourself. :wink:

I was a former policeman who talked on the radio all the time and was in charge of our communications and our dispatch center, and had been a monitor (scanner buff) since my early teens, and I sill took a while of just listening before I started talking.

I still listen more than I talk.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I received my technicians license about a month ago and I am working on my General ticket to expand my knowledge of the hobby. I have been making contacts and really trying to be a good operator. I have been running into more experienced guys who can obviously tell I'm new and seem to take pleasure in making me feel inexperienced and almost unwelcome. Is this common? While I really do appreciate constructive criticism and helpful pointers I am an adult and I feel somewhat discouraged at times. I know not all folks are not like this. I am joining a local club to meet some people and to hopefully make some regular contacts. I'm just wondering if any of the more seasoned people on this forum remember going through this sort of thing.

I am a younger operator and know the feeling. You just have to learn to have a thick skin. Find open minded amateurs to communicate with. They're out there.

It may be a hobby but that doesn't mean everyone wants to share the fun with others. This goes for any other hobby for that matter.

Many won't agree with me, but I am very direct with people. If another ham patronizes me, I let them know about it. Perhaps if some of these hams had their behavior called out publicly, they'd stop.

Keep your chin up and don't get walked all over. That is good advice outside of amateur radio too.

AC2OY

Hang in there man I hear tons of idiots on the machines. I just change the frequency or choice not to feed their idiotic mentality. I recently bought a HF rig and can't wait to have my antenna party and explore HF and hopefully some DX,!! Upgrade as soon as you desire and you will have more frequency privledges! I will not not let a few bad apples ruin this hobby for me.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Von -

Odd thing is I find more idiots on HF.

KC9LVX

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Von -

I'll echo this. I was fortunate in having my grandfather as well as several local folks as 'Elmers' when I got my ticket lo those many years ago (so long ago that the local ARES net was on 10m SSB!!!), and with only a few exceptions most of the local folks were very friendly and helpful.

Part of this might be that some folks don't like change; when a newly minted ham shows up on the local repeater he can come in for some flak from folks who think he may be a transient trespasser on their "turf." One way to break down these barriers is to get involved with the local ham clubs, including ARES or Skywarn. Once you get to know these folks, they'll probably be pretty good friends, and can be a wealth of knowledge to a newer ham.

Like others have said, by being a considerate operator you're already way ahead of the nimrods in the group. Keep at it and don't let them get you down. :)

N0VGL

Go for the General ASAP! That way you aren't confined to repeaters and the bozos that are often on them. Now there are great ops on repeaters, but with the General you can try HF, PSK, CW! The world is your ham oyster! (is that a food group?)
It's really fun to work a new op on CW...you can tell by his slow and methodical way of sending. You go slow, help them along and often in just that one QSO you see a change in the new guys fist.
Enjoy the hobby...don't let the morons get you down!!!

Actually, you can be involved in HF, CW and digital with your Tech. license. 10 meter FM phone, the entire six meter band for phone, CW and digi., two meter SSB are all within the scope of the Tech. license. Depends on where you are located, but repeaters are only a small part of what you can do as a Tech. If you really want to get in over your head, look into EME, meteor scatter and some of the really exotic modes in SSB and digi.

jonvenusti

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

dont get me started, see the thread "jerks hogging the repeater" it is not uncommon for nasty, old , disgruntled men to be rude to young people... i get it ...it sucks when your going to die soon

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
SMH...

Jon, do you understand that by bringing up the same comments over and over that you're doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING that the "old farts" are doing on the repeaters? You know, that same thing that you dislike, yourself. Repetitive comments that really have no ground to walk on beyond the basic comments that frankly, no one can seem to agree with. I'm about sick of hearing it from you. One day, you'll be on death's door too.

If you don't like it, leave. Please stop being a virus to the hobby I enjoy. Sad part is, I've never had to say this before. I smell a troll.

jonvenusti

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
SMH...

Jon, do you understand that by bringing up the same comments over and over that you're doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING that the "old farts" are doing on the repeaters? You know, that same thing that you dislike, yourself. Repetitive comments that really have no ground to walk on beyond the basic comments that frankly, no one can seem to agree with. I'm about sick of hearing it from you. One day, you'll be on death's door too.

If you don't like it, leave. Please stop being a virus to the hobby I enjoy. Sad part is, I've never had to say this before. I smell a troll.

Well obviously im not the only person who has a problem with old people...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.