Vanity Call Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMGRN901

Hello all,
I just took and passed a tech class and am currently waiting for my call sign to be posted in the uls. I was hoping to get a vanity call sign but im kind of confused on how this works. I live in texas (region 5). From what i understand the call sign must start with A, K, N, or W. with one or two letters prefix.

please correct me if im wrong, but are these all the possibilities that the prefix could be:
A, AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG, AI, AJ, AK
K, KA, KB, KC, KD, KE, KF, KG, KI, KJ, KK, KM, KN, KO, KP, KQ, KR, KS, KT, KU, KV, KW, KX, KY, KZ
N, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NI, NJ, NK, NM, NN, NO, NP, NQ, NR, NS, NT, NU, NV, NW, NX, NY, NZ
W, WA, WB, WC, WD, WE, WF, WG, WI, WJ, WK, WM, WO, WP, WQ, WR, WS, WT, WU, WV, WW, WX, WY, WZ.

so with all those possible combinations i could use AA5XXX for example correct?

mikepdx

Hello all,
I just took and passed a tech class and am currently waiting for my call sign to be posted in the uls. I was hoping to get a vanity call sign but im kind of confused on how this works. I live in texas (region 5). From what i understand the call sign must start with A, K, N, or W. with one or two letters prefix.

please correct me if im wrong, but are these all the possibilities that the prefix could be:
A, AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG, AI, AJ, AK
K, KA, KB, KC, KD, KE, KF, KG, KI, KJ, KK, KM, KN, KO, KP, KQ, KR, KS, KT, KU, KV, KW, KX, KY, KZ
N, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NI, NJ, NK, NM, NN, NO, NP, NQ, NR, NS, NT, NU, NV, NW, NX, NY, NZ
W, WA, WB, WC, WD, WE, WF, WG, WI, WJ, WK, WM, WO, WP, WQ, WR, WS, WT, WU, WV, WW, WX, WY, WZ.

so with all those possible combinations i could use AA5XXX for example correct?

Tech class licenses can not start with any A prefix.
Can't use H,L,P as the second letter either (unless AK,HI,PR,VI etc.)
Can't use certain suffixes that are common radio abbreviations
such as SOS QRT QSL , etc. -- FCC? , probably not.
Each class of license has it 's own rules as to prefix & suffix.

Google vanity licensing for what combos you can have as a tech.
There are web sites entirely dedicated to the subject.

Welcome and good luck.

Last edited:

Voyager

Some of the prefixes are reserved such as KH/KL/KG, but generally you are correct.

It used to be that you did NOT have to apply for a call in your call area - meaning you can get any number 0-9. I'm not sure if that changed or not. I doubt it has.

And yes, I believe your example would be a valid choice.

Voyager

Tech class licenses can not start with any A prefix.
Each class of license has it 's own rules as to prefix & suffix.

Google vanity licensing for what prefixes you can
have as a tech, or use the search box here at RR.

Never heard that. Are the As reserved for Advanced (NLA as new) and Extra class licensees?

mikepdx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.