BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 wont connect to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a bcd996p2 and it wont connect to the computer went to 996p2 TWIKI and got the drivers.zip ,ok I pointed to this in windows 10.
The device manager says uniden serial device or something and says its ok.
There is no way to set the baud rate on the scanner,no documentation for the usb or connecting to the computer ,seriously how the heck do you do this?The scanner is on,windows makes a noise when i connect and disconnect the scanner.I did have a bcd436hp before this no issues at all.
The Butel software is ARCXT and it says it supports this scanner.
On the 996XT at least I had something to go on ....

Voyager

Install the drivers (or reinstall them if Windows chose what to install the first time), then connect the scanner. Make sure you are using the latest version of ARC-XT.

If this is the first connection, when Windows asks for the drivers, point it to the directory where you unzipped the driver file you DLed from Uniden. DO NOT let Windows choose the drivers.

The 436 is an external storage device, so it's different from the 996P2.

SCPD

QRT
996p2 pain

I did that it doesnt work with the usb drivers that uniden supplies on their TWIKI.I hit choose drivers myself.

1 Uniden Serial Device <<<what its supposed to be I assume

2.USB serial device <<what windows 10 assigns.

Been there....Still no joy.
So far this scanner is annoying royally.The XT was easy sometimes a pain but easy!

Tried butel in compaitbility mode for xp,7,and no good
when I exit the read/write the scanner beeps like an error (do-da-doo)

The scanner doesnt even have a baud rate settings screen.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
On the XT series yes, but there is no "Set Serial Port" in the menu of my 996P2. I know, because I actually own one :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I cannot verify whether the drivers will work for Windows 10. Does the device manager indicate that the drivers are working properly?

SCPD

QRT
No windows 10 driver

I cannot verify whether the drivers will work for Windows 10. Does the device manager indicate that the drivers are working properly?

Works now, but no Windows 10 driver :( using old OS now.
Even if I force the usbuser_drivers it says its ok but its not
comes up with uniden serial driver,says all good,but no just beeps.
So we're stuck with an old OS for this radio,waiting for driver for Windows 10.
:eek:

Forgot how much I love the 996.Got rid of my 436 for this puppy.All is working good now.Phase 2 is a little screwy but what can I do?

cap_sk8

Premium Subscriber
I don't have BCD996P2, but had a similar issue with my 396XT and 15X when using Windows 10, ARC XT Pro and the Uniden USB drivers.

Tried running ARC XT in compaitbility mode with no luck. Device manager indicated the driver/ Uniden Serial Port was working properly.

Ended up installing and changing the driver to an older Uniden Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm port driver and ARC XT is able to upload/ download to my Unidens under Windows 10.

trunker

I don't have BCD996P2, but had a similar issue with my 396XT and 15X when using Windows 10, ARC XT Pro and the Uniden USB drivers.

Tried running ARC XT in compaitbility mode with no luck. Device manager indicated the driver/ Uniden Serial Port was working properly.

Ended up installing and changing the driver to an older Uniden Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm port driver and ARC XT is able to upload/ download to my Unidens under Windows 10.
Can you point us to where you got it?

cap_sk8

Premium Subscriber
The file was in my scanner file archives. PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1210.exe .
When installed the driver properties are dated 3-12-2010 v3.3.11.152 . I'm pretty sure the file was an old update for the USB-1 from Uniden, not sure if they have any download archives.

Right now I'm on Windows 10 build 10122. Let me know a location to post the file to or send a pm and I'll email.

When installing, you'll need to un-install the current driver from device manager. Run the installer in the above package. Then from device manager, update the driver choosing the older driver from the list. Avoid the 8-15-2014 v3.4.67.325 version and the Uniden Serial Port 1.0.00 dated 1-1-2014 .

Ten42

Another P2 that software doesn't recognize

I bought this 996P2 about two months ago, as my county (Pittsylvania, Va) uses a Harris P2 system. I was on the talkgroup development committee so I had everything I needed for data, (frequencies, talkgroups, etc...) I updated my ARC-Pro, and guess what, it wouldn't recognize the scanner. Then, just before I throw the POS2 into my back yard, it reads it. Well today, I decide I want to add to my NC VIPER file, the ARC-Pro reads the scanner, I go thru the motions, try to upload the new talkgroup info, then the computer DOESN'T recognize the scanner. I have downloaded the BC VUP3 and unzipped it, no luck. I cannot get the scanner firmware updated because neither of my computers will recognize the scanner driver. I am using both Windows XP and Windows 8. This scanner has been nothing but a headache and complete PITA in so many ways. I bought it from the bearcat warehouse, it came completely unprogrammed, not even weather frequencies, although I was told it would have some basic programming. I am no computer expert, but I can program every one of my other scanners, even Motorola, Ericsson or Harris, and Kenwood two-way radios, but nothing compares to this piece of crap. I haven't even started on the P2 audio................it's terrible, but my county radio works great. UpMan, or someone at Uniden, please pay attention, I have a BC780XLT, a 996T, and love them both. This new 996P2, is no comparison to previous models, I never wanted to toss those in the dump. The only good side to this scanner is the sensitivity, it is superb.....but only after you can get it programed!!!! Now that I have vented, somewhat, can ANYBODY please, in a easy step by step process, help me understand why this could keep happening, and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Voyager

You can program your other radios because you learned the SW. Why do you think a scanner should come any easier? If you installed the driver correctly, there should be no issues with recognizing the scanner. Have you tried other SW or have you not eliminated that variable and just assume it's the fault of the scanner? I use XP on my P2s without any issues. BTW, I also at one time thought Motorola SW was the biggest POS on the planet. Then I learned the terms unique to Motorola and learned the SW and it's been fine since. That was back in the DOS RSS era.

Based on what you said, I suspect the issue is operator error and the fix is for the operator to learn the scanner and associated hardware.

For me, knowing many radio SWs as well as FreeScan, the scanners are easier to program than any Land Mobile radio. But, you have to learn things before you can apply them correctly.

SCPD

QRT
996p2

I bought this 996P2 about two months ago, as my county (Pittsylvania, Va) uses a Harris P2 system. I was on the talkgroup development committee so I had everything I needed for data, (frequencies, talkgroups, etc...) I updated my ARC-Pro, and guess what, it wouldn't recognize the scanner. Then, just before I throw the POS2 into my back yard, it reads it. Well today, I decide I want to add to my NC VIPER file, the ARC-Pro reads the scanner, I go thru the motions, try to upload the new talkgroup info, then the computer DOESN'T recognize the scanner. I have downloaded the BC VUP3 and unzipped it, no luck. I cannot get the scanner firmware updated because neither of my computers will recognize the scanner driver. I am using both Windows XP and Windows 8. This scanner has been nothing but a headache and complete PITA in so many ways. I bought it from the bearcat warehouse, it came completely unprogrammed, not even weather frequencies, although I was told it would have some basic programming. I am no computer expert, but I can program every one of my other scanners, even Motorola, Ericsson or Harris, and Kenwood two-way radios, but nothing compares to this piece of crap. I haven't even started on the P2 audio................it's terrible, but my county radio works great. UpMan, or someone at Uniden, please pay attention, I have a BC780XLT, a 996T, and love them both. This new 996P2, is no comparison to previous models, I never wanted to toss those in the dump. The only good side to this scanner is the sensitivity, it is superb.....but only after you can get it programed!!!! Now that I have vented, somewhat, can ANYBODY please, in a easy step by step process, help me understand why this could keep happening, and how to fix it.

I'd say its the computer,I am using Windows Xp and no problem there is a wiki with the drivers for the scanner,if you need the drivers PM me.
My issue was this has no Windows 10 drivers,if it doesnt work the drivers are the answer!The 996P2 to me works great,the P2 part of it needs fixing but hopefully will be fixed with a firmware.

Ten42

k2ool,
Thanks for your help, I send a PM.

Last edited:

Ten42

Voyager: I am glad you know how to use CD:/MRSS. so do I. I will actually be using DOS Monday. As for the P2, if I did not know how to use the SW, how did I get it programmed in the first place? Also I mentioned I knew of the firmware upgrade and but I couldn't get it to load. Again, my problem is the SW working one time then not working the next. So let me articulate my problems once again. Has anyone that owns a 996P2, had an issue with the drivers, or maybe the USB cable not working correctly? My P2 works great on Phase 1 systems, its sensitivity is superb. But, what's so irritating to me, is no other radio I own, or work on, has programming issues like these. Also, I know it is operator error, that's why I am asking for help.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have NO issues - I have a 996p2 and a 325. I have used the following to PC's to load and run Freescan as well as Unitrunker and Pro96Comm.

Win8.1, Xp , Vista and Windows 7. A collection from Lenovo,Dell and HP. I have had a 325 running Pro96Comm constantly for at least a week.

I've installed the driver on each machine with zero issues.

Voyager: I am glad you know how to use CD:/MRSS. so do I. I will actually be using DOS Monday. As for the P2, if I did not know how to use the SW, how did I get it programmed in the first place? Also I mentioned I knew of the firmware upgrade and but I couldn't get it to load. Again, my problem is the SW working one time then not working the next. So let me articulate my problems once again. Has anyone that owns a 996P2, had an issue with the drivers, or maybe the USB cable not working correctly? My P2 works great on Phase 1 systems, its sensitivity is superb. But, what's so irritating to me, is no other radio I own, or work on, has programming issues like these. Also, I know it is operator error, that's why I am asking for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.