"Air Comm"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
When a medevac, for example, Hackensack-1 switches to "Air Comm" is this a talkgroup on the NJSP system, or another frequency, or is this referring to the air band frequencies used by aircraft?

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about that area but AirCom is the name of the national dispatch center for Air Methods. This could be who they are referring to.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this is in reference to your question, but here in south Jersey Medevacs flying into Philadelphia contact Temple 1 ''Air Comm" for flight following on 151.5275. Not exactly sure where there located but I assume Temple university Hospital.

Steveradio

"Aircomm" for Medevac Lehigh Valley is actually Air Methods who dispatches Medevac.. They may also contract out for other air medicals in your area.

"Aircomm to Medevac 2 alert stat" etc.. just a thought

onsceno

AirCom is the name of the Air Methods dispatch center based in Omaha, NE. When Hackensack 1 takes a scene flight in NY, they will switch over to that (tower site based on the location of the job - Valhalla, Harris, Wallkill, etc) to communicate direct with the AirCom dispatcher to ensure the skies are clear and to coordinate with other air traffic. Once they are back in NJ, Hackensack 1 will switch back over to 478.2375 pl 131.8 to communicate with MICCOM and the north aviation talkgroup to communicate with REMCS. Regardless of what tower any of the medevac ships/aircraft utilize, the dispatcher is always called AirCom on the radio.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
MFR, are they using the old Statflight channels in NY 463/468.000 and .075?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBFD415

Chris- I think speaking for a lot of us here- we are perpetually interested in the medical helicopters. Some might not realize that the helicopters flown by the nearby hospital (etc), are not owned by that hospital or group. As you stated Air Methods is one company that does operate helicopters for hospitals and others.

Not knowing the details of their comm system I assume from your post the following: that Air Methods must have an extensive national communications system to keep in touch with all the aircraft nation wide?! So speaking specifically about Hackensack- as an example, they are switching over to a UHF conventional repeater to contact back to the corporate base? I would assume this is of course "wire lined" back to the mid-west base in Omaha? If you can clarify or add any other details, please do.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Chris- I think speaking for a lot of us here- we are perpetually interested in the medical helicopters. Some might not realize that the helicopters flown by the nearby hospital (etc), are not owned by that hospital or group. As you stated Air Methods is one company that does operate helicopters for hospitals and others.

Not knowing the details of their comm system I assume from your post the following: that Air Methods must have an extensive national communications system to keep in touch with all the aircraft nation wide?! So speaking specifically about Hackensack- as an example, they are switching over to a UHF conventional repeater to contact back to the corporate base? I would assume this is of course "wire lined" back to the mid-west base in Omaha? If you can clarify or add any other details, please do.

Communications are most likely ran via Voice over IP. I dealt with a Nebraska helicopter program that used a similar setup to communicate with their dispatch center in Missouri. We just ran a VOIP connection into the RACOM EDACS system.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Some to try in our area in northern nj,

123.025 News Helicopters / Air coordination
123.450 Air to Air
123.100 NYPD Aviation (NYPD Only)
127.850 Newark Class B
131.970 Kearny Heliport
123.120 Liberty Helicopters Ch 1
128.875 Liberty Helicopters Ch 2
123.050 Hudson River Air Traffic
123.075 East River Air Traffic
122.700 Ctaf
122.800 Ctaf
122.900 Ctaf
123.000 Ctaf

118.300 - Newark tower
119.500 - Teterboro Tower
118.100 - Morristown Tower
119.800 - Caldwell Tower
122.950 - Caldwell Ctaf

All of these feature some or all general aviation and helicopter traffic, good luck.
they also talk to the towers when getting there fuel big one around here
is Morristown / Newark Airport. The helicopter will use there call sign IE
Hackensack 1 or there tail number when calling the tower, most all
discreet codes so there can not be followed on public flight tracking software.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

tony, great list !. just with regard to (NYPD only), this fq. is a nationwide common for search and rescue operations <sar>. however, this is the best frequency to hear nypd pilots order their dinner. LOL !.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Once they are back in NJ, Hackensack 1 will switch back over to 478.2375 pl 131.8 to communicate with MICCOM and the north aviation talkgroup to communicate with REMCS. .

I'm showing Hackensack AirMed 1 on 462.950 DPL 662 which is the Hackensack Repeater. The above is licensed to a private individual even though the database lists it as Alpine.

Also show Atlantic Air 1 and 3 on 463.175 DPL 156

Last edited by a moderator:

mondaro

Feed Provider
tony, great list !. just with regard to (NYPD only), this fq. is a nationwide common for search and rescue operations <sar>. however, this is the best frequency to hear nypd pilots order their dinner. LOL !.

Thank You, I the years of monitoring never heard anyone except NYPD helicopters on 123.100
Thanks for your comment on it that's good to know.

Have a great day !!

Tony

Analogrules

I also have 123.100 also listed as US Coast Guard and Civil Air Patrol.
123.025 is also assigned by the FAA for Chopper and medivac choppers. (It was also heavily used in Baltimore for chopper to chopper comms during the recent riots according to their forum)

I have 123.050 as the Wall Street Heliport and 123.075 as the 34th Street Heliport.
122.900 has been used by Coast Guard, Newark Heliport, and was at least at one point the National Hi Jack negotiation channel
I have 127.850 listed as Newark PD Choppers (not sure how accurate that is)

123.000 - Linden Airport Tower

ecps92

CAP is authorized 123.1000 for SAR Only and for only Interop, not CAP to CAP traffic

I also have 123.100 also listed as US Coast Guard and Civil Air Patrol.
123.025 is also assigned by the FAA for Chopper and medivac choppers. (It was also heavily used in Baltimore for chopper to chopper comms during the recent riots according to their forum)

I have 123.050 as the Wall Street Heliport and 123.075 as the 34th Street Heliport.
122.900 has been used by Coast Guard, Newark Heliport, and was at least at one point the National Hi Jack negotiation channel
I have 127.850 listed as Newark PD Choppers (not sure how accurate that is)

123.000 - Linden Airport Tower

scannersnstuff

123.000 is unicom for uncontrolled air traffic. the pilot will verbalize take off/landing. this way the other traffic in the area will know whats going on. kblm <monmouth executive airport <farmingdale>also use's this fq.>

onsceno

OK... Firstly, folks, I apologize for not getting back to everyone in a more timely fashion. Work's been a bit hectic and I'm finally sitting down to take a look at some of the questions and remarks.

Signal-Zero: Yes. While they were used as "StatFlight" UHF conventional analog channels, they were assumed by AirCom (VOIP). 463.000 and 468.000 are out of Valhalla, NY (Westchester) at Westchester Medical Center (former StatFlight Air 1's base) while 463.075 and 468.075 are out of Kobalt Airport in Wallkill, NY (Ulster) at former StatFlight Air 2's base... now LifeNet 7-4 or more commonly LifeNet Air 2. The other VHF and UHF conventional analog utilized by AirMethod's ships in NY are all area specific as well located at or near each base - with one exception - the Selkirk tower on 155.235 DPL 245. Why, you ask? I wish I knew and it's relatively new. Hackensack 1 is still licensed on Med 9 and 10 with a dpl of 662 on both repeaters but primarily communicates when airborne or on the ground in the greater northern New Jersey area over 478.2375.

RBFD415: Correct, sir. Air Methods is a nationwide corporation dealing in both fixed wing (plane) and rotorary wing (helicopter), both holding "lifeguard status" on the conventional air/aviation VHF frequencies and called "medevac" _____________ (regardless of fixed or rotary). Hackensack 1, while part of Air Methods is an HBS (hospital based system) located at Greenwood Lake Airport in West Milford, NJ. While on the ground at base or in New York, they operate on a MotoTRBO system. That being said, this MotoTRBO system is patched (98% of the time) to the conventional UHF frequency listed earlier - 478.2375 pl 131.8. Regardless of what they are talking to MICCOM on, you will hear them (again, 98% of the time, patch dependent). That being said, Hackensack 1 is technically alerted by REMCS for ALL New Jersey scene jobs. MICCOM provides flight following past that, but the ship still communicates with REMCS - as they are the statewide medevac dispatch point. Hackensack 1 will only be alerted via MICCOM directly when notified for a stand by or response by AirCom (Air Methods Communications Point) for their coverage area - which could be within a 100 nautical mile radius from their base. They will also be alerted directly through MICCOM for interfacility requests. Any time they leave the REMCS/MICCOM response area, they will switch over to AirCom and communicate with them over the area specific frequency/tower. These other towers are linked to AirCom via VOIP (voice over internet protocol).

AC2OY: As for the Saint Barnabas communications on 476.####, while anything is possible, the last frequency I had for Saint Barnabas was 463.3000 pl 71.9.

I hope this helps clear some questions up.

Status
Not open for further replies.