Montclair PD on 700 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Montclair PD and other locally on 700MHz

There were SO many complaints about Montclair PD's previous system, just wondering how they're sounding now on 700 MHz?

I have been monitoring Montclair for a few months now on the NJICS system. Their radio operations though P25 Phase 2 are quite clear (and in the clear for now) and readable on my BC436 scanner. My location is line of site to West Orange tower and I can copy them quite well on either side of the 2 Watchung ridges, especially on the West side... Passaic Ave through Fairfield, The Caldwells, Roseland, and Eisenhower Parkway through Livingston.)
Little Falls and recently the Passaic County Sheriff are on this system. One PCSD officer in charge of communications says "they love it". Fairfield PD is P25 Phase 1, Also no issues I can decern.

My 2cents based on my reception experience.

Max :cool:.

I was actually more interested in how the 700 MHz is working within Montclair itself.

Reportedly, there were many complaints from officers that coverage on the old system within Montclair stunk. In particular, portable coverage was said to have been abysmal.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Fairfield is experiencing some issues the past few days. Both headquarters and units in the field are complaining of missed transmissions and having to repeat multiple times. They have been switching back and forth between NJICS and their old 800 MHz conventional channels while the techs try to figure it out.
As far as Montclair PD is concerned, the NJICS system is much better than their old system ever was. I have many contacts in Montclair and have not heard of any complaints. The ambulance unit is still trying to get updated equipment to join too. I think that's why they are still simulcasting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
I've heard 1, maybe 2, "CAD a radio interference" call since the migration. Compare that to 3-5 per day on their legacy TRS. To get an idea of how crappy coverage was, throw the 500MHz system townwide talk group into your radio and listen to the frustration that the parking authority has on that analog talk group. I actually think it has something to do with mis-matched wide-band and narrow-band equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.