Uniden BCD436HP Vehicle Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am currently using a Uniden HP1 on a RAM windshiled mount. I just bought a Uniden BCD436HP and I am looking for a suitable way to mount it. I am considering another RAM mount and a Panavise Model: 777 ClipCaddy Holder. I am wondering if anybody here has mounted their Uniden BCD436HP this way and, if so, how well that has worked out for them. Also, if you have any photographs of that installation, I would love to see them!

Uniden | A World Without Wires - BCD436HP

http://www.rammount.com/

https://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=174

Voyager

I use a simple mic hanger mounted on my dash. Cheap, durable, puts the scanner at arms length and easy to read, and it lets the scanner 'swing' to help avoid shocks. Better to get the kind that is a full rectangle as opposed to just the fork type, but either should work.

Triangulum

I use a simple mic hanger mounted on my dash. Cheap, durable, puts the scanner at arms length and easy to read, and it lets the scanner 'swing' to help avoid shocks. Better to get the kind that is a full rectangle as opposed to just the fork type, but either should work.

Can you link to something similar to what you speak of? Thanks.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I'm using this RAM mount with a 396 but it should work with the 436 as well.

Attachments

• DSCN4770.jpg
    DSCN4770.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5,097

Aero125

I fully agree, simple basic mic holder works great with both a 396 and 436 handheld. It's a cheap and unobtrusive solution.

Voyager

There are some areas that would give you grief over the 'obstruction of vision' due to the mobiles.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I'm using this RAM mount with a 396 but it should work with the 436 as well.
Mike Bennett:

I love your scanner mount in the photo. Can you share where you got the mount for your mobile scanners? Also, what is the switch on the left side of the scanners? Very nice looking setup!!!

Metrofire31
Mike
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Mike, not so much the attraction of theft factor (I surmise you have an auto alarm equipped in your vehicle), but the sun baking on electronic components can be brutal. My iPhone and iPad in my car just flat out won't work if it's too hot. They will go into the sleep mode, and wait for the A/C or many minutes to drive with the temperature cooler in the car before doing ANYTHING. Radios in my particular situation aren't too bad, as I run four Motorola's and a Kenwood, Yaesu, and Alinco for ham rigs. If you haven't already considered this easy fix, think about throwing a "matching color" towel over the equipment that resembles the dashboard. Although it isn't any great shakes, it might take the intense heat down a few degrees while your vehicle is sitting idle in the baking sun.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Mike Bennett:

I love your scanner mount in the photo. Can you share where you got the mount for your mobile scanners? Also, what is the switch on the left side of the scanners? Very nice looking setup!!!

Metrofire31
Mike
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

It's actually a compilation of various mounts I had laying around. I had these radios stacked in a previous vehicle but this car has a readout on the dash so I had to improvise to I could see the readout by raising them up. There are two switches on the left. One turns on the power to the handheld and the GPS that controls both mobiles. The other switch routes the audio output of the left mobile to either the internal speaker or through the audio system.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Mike, not so much the attraction of theft factor (I surmise you have an auto alarm equipped in your vehicle), but the sun baking on electronic components can be brutal. My iPhone and iPad in my car just flat out won't work if it's too hot. They will go into the sleep mode, and wait for the A/C or many minutes to drive with the temperature cooler in the car before doing ANYTHING. Radios in my particular situation aren't too bad, as I run four Motorola's and a Kenwood, Yaesu, and Alinco for ham rigs. If you haven't already considered this easy fix, think about throwing a "matching color" towel over the equipment that resembles the dashboard. Although it isn't any great shakes, it might take the intense heat down a few degrees while your vehicle is sitting idle in the baking sun.

I've been using this set-up for about seven years and haven't had a problem. During the summer I put a head-shield in the window which cuts down on the "baking" factor.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I agree with KB6KGX. Here in California, if you had an accident and the other party photographed that set up in your front windshield, and you tried to get your insurance to cover, you would have some real issues. If there was any question as to who was at fault, show that picture to the judge, and you probably will not win.
I am not knocking your set-up Mike, it actually looks pretty neat. But the CHP or LA Sheriff would pull me over in a heartbeat with that in my front windshield. Maybe that is the difference between living in Sherman, Texas, and me, Steve Sherman, living in Los Angeles.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
The "obstruction" is more of an illusion due to the fact that I took the photo from the rear and was sitting lower than I would in the driver's seat.

It's actually even better than the last install where the radios were stacked in a Toyota Corolla where I sat lower in the driver's seat and even then it wasn't a problem.

N8OHU

The "obstruction" is more of an illusion due to the fact that I took the photo from the rear and was sitting lower than I would in the driver's seat.

It's actually even better than the last install where the radios were stacked in a Toyota Corolla where I sat lower in the driver's seat and even then it wasn't a problem.

It's not the actual level of obstruction that is the problem; it's the perceived level of obstruction. Most folks aren't going to get a picture of you sitting in the car and make it obvious that you can see over the radios; they'll get the picture without you in there and the judge or other individual that is looking at the picture will only see the potential for obstructed vision. Even law enforcement officers may look askance at the radios being there and try to cite you for it if you're in an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.