REAPER day

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotman6012

Usually they are few and far between around here,catch one or two every now and then but today was different,Countem they were 8 B-2 in the area at the same time,REAPER 11 X 3 in the block 35,000-37,000,REAPER 21 X 3 in the block 29,000-31,000 and REAPER 31 x 2 in the block 33,000-35,000,all moving eastbound on 379.1250 Memphis ATC @ Tupelo,285.55 Memphis Atc @ Tupelo,299.2 Atlanta Atc @ Chattanooga.,354.05 Atlanta Atc @ Huntsville.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
B-2 stuff

Ok cool observation. Probably just a training hop? Given the time it takes to go somewhere and return safely maybe reconsider posting B-2 activity for a few days ok? Or not at all for God's sake!

pilotman6012

Your the reason this website is competely worthless,think you know what's best for everybody else,I was not born yesterday and spent 20 years in the military and know more about military operations and every aircraft in the inventory than you every will and know what is going on otherwise it would not have been posted,i suppose next your gonna tell me i should not post about the 12 B-52's thru here this morning.
Lindsay it's guys like him that are ruining your website and anybody that posts anything,that is why so people have left in the last few years.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I personally don't see the harm and think it's rather valuable info to know that a bunch of B2's are flying around over US airspace, especially given the current global climate and the fact that Russia and China aren't exactly being best buds of ours lately. Isn't that why we have scanners in the first place? The rest of the nation can get it's news from the news, but I prefer getting mine direct from the source whenever possible.

-AZ

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I don't see any harm in posting activity like pilotman6012 did. It may be a one time occurrence or a pattern may start showing up.

737mech if you don't like posts like this then don't read them.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I posted because my OPSEC flags went up. I guess I can't seem to shake that. I was in the Air Force with the F-117A at Tonopah everything was classified back then and they drilled that into us every day.
I agree I should not be the forum police here. The moderators can handle that. If Pilotman has knowledge as he states that he knows what's going on, especially after 20 years in the military, that his post would pose no danger to the mission that's good enough for me. Thank you for your service Pilotman.

mancow

Database Admin
I live fairly close to Whiteman. They are out and about almost 24/7. They come up on regular ATC frequencies with those callsigns as they travel. It's nothing secret.

Actually, as I type this they are up on 284.700 with KC Center using callsign Death.

They just said they are going to do a flyby at the Sporting KC park.

Last edited:
I posted because my OPSEC flags went up. I guess I can't seem to shake that. I was in the Air Force with the F-117A at Tonopah everything was classified back then and they drilled that into us every day.
I agree I should not be the forum police here. The moderators can handle that. If Pilotman has knowledge as he states that he knows what's going on, especially after 20 years in the military, that his post would pose no danger to the mission that's good enough for me. Thank you for your service Pilotman.
Lol, your OPSEC flags went up? Do you think the "enemy" is monitoring this thread?

BMT

Guy's COMSEC/OPSEC security is very important.
I have flown in a combat situation.
Every evening we would set up the new comm plan for the next day.
NVA/VC had a very aggressive RDF program.
Even back in the 1969-1970.
They still found us. ;-(

What we monitor everyday are training flights.
If any one are reading our post all they can learn is that "REAPER-23" was airborne on xx range at this DTG.
What they are really looking for is a pattern.

BMT

nyair1

If the military didn't want us to be able to hear them, I'm sure we wouldn't.

Hooligan

If the military didn't want us to be able to hear them, I'm sure we wouldn't.

ASSumptions can get people killed.

And if you REALLY didn't want me coming into your home uninvited, you'd live in a fortress, not a home with regular glass windows & a door that I could open with a sledgehammer, right?

Someone tried crying to daddy Lindsay here. Was it the same knowitall who claims to have spent 20 years in the military that cried? Doesn't Lindsay have & enforce a policy about not posting sensitive-op comms in near real-time, nor streaming law enforcement surveillance/Tac/SWAT channels?

Where's the lame old "Well, if they didn't WANT us to hear them... [we wouldn't][they'd encrypt]" BS in response to that?

Unless you live around Whiteman, 1 B-2 overhead is neat. 2 B-2s overhead is a good day. 3 B-2s overhead should make you wonder, & perhaps go turn on CNN or Fox News. My record here over the NTTR is 5, and some of the ones you heard that day later came to me before finally being cleared-direct to Whitey. But if you know you've had about half the total number of operational B-2s fly over you in the past couple hours, even if they're using one of their normal cross-country callsigns you may want to THINK about it a little more before you run to your computer to share the info with the world via radioreference.com. Should you chose to exercise your 'right' to share the information with the world, please don't act like "20 years in the military" means that you had a ^%#*& clue what was going on that day (let alone now) & gives you the right to be passive-aggressive ("Waaah, Lindsay!!") towards someone who politely & simply suggested that numerous flights/waves of B-2s being overhead is possibly something that shouldn't be quickly shared with the world.

mancow

Database Admin
Not trying to start and argument but I can only imagine that just about every nation out there has their own network of SDRs and God only knows what streaming RF intel back to the motherland.

Also, they come up on ATCs using their calls as they travel. Even if they didn't the audio signature of their radios is a dead givaway as they have that really flat digitized sound to them.

I live relatively near there. They run training ops all the time all over the US. I just can't see how it's a matter of concern.

ASSumptions can get people killed.

And if you REALLY didn't want me coming into your home uninvited, you'd live in a fortress, not a home with regular glass windows & a door that I could open with a sledgehammer, right?

Someone tried crying to daddy Lindsay here. Was it the same knowitall who claims to have spent 20 years in the military that cried? Doesn't Lindsay have & enforce a policy about not posting sensitive-op comms in near real-time, nor streaming law enforcement surveillance/Tac/SWAT channels?

Where's the lame old "Well, if they didn't WANT us to hear them... [we wouldn't][they'd encrypt]" BS in response to that?

Unless you live around Whiteman, 1 B-2 overhead is neat. 2 B-2s overhead is a good day. 3 B-2s overhead should make you wonder, & perhaps go turn on CNN or Fox News. My record here over the NTTR is 5, and some of the ones you heard that day later came to me before finally being cleared-direct to Whitey. But if you know you've had about half the total number of operational B-2s fly over you in the past couple hours, even if they're using one of their normal cross-country callsigns you may want to THINK about it a little more before you run to your computer to share the info with the world via radioreference.com. Should you chose to exercise your 'right' to share the information with the world, please don't act like "20 years in the military" means that you had a ^%#*& clue what was going on that day (let alone now) & gives you the right to be passive-aggressive ("Waaah, Lindsay!!") towards someone who politely & simply suggested that numerous flights/waves of B-2s being overhead is possibly something that shouldn't be quickly shared with the world.

First, I seriously doubt that the "world" is logged onto this thread on radio reference & 2nd, bust through my door with a sledgehammer & you'll be blown right back out......

Hooligan

Not trying to start and argument but I can only imagine that just about every nation out there has their own network of SDRs and God only knows what streaming RF intel back to the motherland.

Also, they come up on ATCs using their calls as they travel. Even if they didn't the audio signature of their radios is a dead givaway as they have that really flat digitized sound to them.

I live relatively near there. They run training ops all the time all over the US. I just can't see how it's a matter of concern.

OK, but just because you can't see how it's a concern does not make it a legit concern. You live nearby, but you don't know how unusual it is to have 6 or 8 up at once?!! You can point out vulnerabilities/signatures all you want, but regardless of their accuracy, it's completely irresponsible to be ambivalent about them. The same argument could be made about a DEA or FBI surveillance -- "Oh, I hear 'em all the time. Oh, I'll bet the dopers have scanners already, oh, their 167Mhz freq & 167NAC is a dead-giveway so I'm not concerned about posting the info..." but the reason we are not allowed to post that info in near real-time here is for the same basic logic that people need to have before they post military stuff.

CapStar362

i can see both sides here. being a Grunt, it is nice to see a few, also knowing out of Nellis, they will fly 4-6 B-1's 2-4 B-2's, at least a dozen or more F-16's and 15's. 4-8 F-22's, the aggressor squadrons, E-2 and E-4 AWACS aircraft, J-STAR's, KC-135's, C-17's, AC-130's...... need i go on? in large scale "RED FLAG" ops, and they let people stand there on the public roads filming and photo every aircraft that takes off......

oh, lets not forget when we invite foreign nations to participate with us. French Rafale-M's? British Tornado's and EF-2000's, uhhh what else have i seen..... Mirage 2000's, British Sea Harriers and Marine AV-8B's..... i mean you are talking well over 50-100 aircraft taking off one behind another for these ops. and what are they?

TRAINING.

if a real threat was present, there would be no comms going on. COMSEC/OPSEC would be fully in place, MP and civilian LEO would be preventing anyone from getting near the bases as they take off to get photos and film.

so lighten up. if they were audible, it was nothing. if it was real, they would be all buttoned up and on enc and we would be hearing NOTHING.

don't you think if it was a credible threat, civilian/commercial air ops would have been suspended around the area with large size TFR's?

common sense floats a long way people.

D

DaveNF2G

If they didn't want us to know immediately that we were hearing bombers on training missions, then the callsigns (DEATH, REAPER, etc.) would not be constantly used tipoffs.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
The 177th fighter wing here at ACY the callsigns that F-16s use in training is always the same "DEVIL". I was doing some work on the airfield a couple weeks ago and several F-16s were scrambled on what the pilot said was a simulated real intercept/mission. This group used a different call sign from the F-16s fly training missions which used the standard "DEVIL" call sign.

When I was in the USAF at a RBS site in Maine, the aircraft that flew against us had different call signs each day. These were training missions and aircraft from the same unit flying the same day had the same call signs. The next day and the same crew and aircraft had a different call sign.

with the cutbacks in funding I could see the military aircraft on training missions using the same call sign day to day BUT when it comes to real missions I'm sure the call signs are changed everyday in an effort to confuse they enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.