Yaesu: Why this type of mic connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
Why do some transceivers like a Yaesu FT900AT have a different type (modular) microphone connector? I don't understand the advantages or disadvantages. Would someone please explain?

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Modular connectors are cheap and they're compact.

The disadvantage is, they're cheap and they're compact.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Why do some transceivers like a Yaesu FT900AT have a different type (modular) microphone connector? I don't understand the advantages or disadvantages. Would someone please explain?
I am not that familiar with that particular product line, but the mic jack appears to be a standard RJ45 8P8C connector. That connector is very commonly used on Motorola commercial two-ways as well as by several other prominent manufacturers.

It's inexpensive and easy to repair, at least the mic end. Having 8 terminals, other functions beside PTT, GND, and MIC can be made available like HOOK, SCI+, HANDSET AUDIO. Some models have lines for programming and flashing, too. In many cases, you can use standard CAT5 cables to extend the mic or handset.

Most techs will have the 8P8C crimping die plus a stock of the RJ45's in their tool kit for replacing mic connectors. I just ordered a 25 pack of them to restock my kit. It was $3.99. You can't beat that.

In the the old days, mic connectors were outrageously expensive. Not so these days.

Frankly, I think a lot of us might think that connector as being much more common than other types.

Unless you're clued in to what the manufacturer's thoughts were in the proof of concept, it's not really possible to guess why one product has one type of mic connector and another has something else. Sometimes manufacturers have a "style guide" that defines the form factor and says something like, 'all of our equipment will have compatible accessories.' I know that marketing types get paid big money for, make a big deal out of, fonts and logos to the extent they have pushed approved color combinations, shapes, etc. (B.S. Bingo term: "Branding")

To that end, this could be -
The engineering group came up with the design independent of anything else,
The form factor group decided it "has to be" this kind of connector (for whatever reason... usually because of expense and parts availability).
Corporate/marketing decided to go off on a new track for accessories independent of legacy products,
Or, none of the above.

Yeah, it's cheap. The clippy things break. And Yaesu's mic cord materials seem to disintegrate in hot weather climates (been through three disintegrated mic cords in my daughter's car in 5 years).

The other thing on Yaesu's overall product line is that they seem to have products that are all over the map. Some of their radios are outstanding, easy to program and use, and others (like the FT1500M *choke* *gag*) are better suited for plinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.