NMO or UHF mount for mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT0DD

Probably a tired subject but which is better for mobile use...NMO or UHF mounts?

Thanks. K-T0DD

dbord

Premium Subscriber
Neither one is better than the other but NMO is the one used by the majority of hams.

jim202

You don't get the corrosion problems with the NMO style mount that show up in a UHF mount.

Plus with the NMO type mount, your selection of antennas is almost unlimited. Where the UHF mount style has much fewer antennas to choose from.

One other comment about UHF connections is that as you go up in frequency, it's performance goes down. That style of connector was never designed for use at high frequencies. It has been improved some with the use of Teflon insulators.

But given the choice, I would always use the NMO type mount. When you take off the antenna, there is very little that sticks up above the roof. It doesn't collect water if you go through a car wash with the antenna removed like the UHF mounts do.

KT0DD

Thanks all...I just ordered a Comet CA-2X4SR NMO for my car radio...a Alinco DR-638. Hopefully it will be a good combo.

N0VGL

NMO (new motorola) is generally water resistant where the uhf (unless waterproofed by you with sealant) is not, hence the corrosion factor.

kc0kp

NMO (new motorola) is generally water resistant where the uhf (unless waterproofed by you with sealant) is not, hence the corrosion factor.
So few people know that. Old Motorola was basically the ASP-201 that snapped into a 3/8" hole. New Motorola appeared in the early 70s forty five years ago. The fact that there has not been any newer base taking over is testament to the design.
As for waterproofing, I always use a dab of silicon grease on the antenna gasket before screwing the antenna down.
UHF connector was never designed to be an antenna base and is virtually impossible to seal to prevent corrosion. I have an ATAS 120 that I replace the connector on the truck annually to prevent corrosion from building up.
Craig

k6cpo

Thanks all...I just ordered a Comet CA-2X4SR NMO for my car radio...a Alinco DR-638. Hopefully it will be a good combo.

You're aware that the NMO mount requires drilling a ¾ inch hole in the sheetmetal of your vehicle for installation, correct?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
You're aware that the NMO mount requires drilling a ¾ inch hole in the sheetmetal of your vehicle for installation, correct?

Not necessarily. I have an Austin Spectra mounted on my Escape on a trunk mount and it works just fine.

ke6gcv

+1 for NMO. +1 for using a dab of silicon on the rubber gasket/seal between the metal and the mount. I will also +1 the replacement of said gasket/seal annually (though I never had to do this). The overall look of the NMO is very professional upon installation.

Think of it this way. What would you prefer when going through a non-touchless gas station-type car wash? The chance of the roof brush damaging the UHF connector in is high. (FYI... I do prefer to hand wash my cars, if at all possible.)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Two things I don't like about the 2x4SR...too stiff for roof/trunk mount (personal experiences with it) but works just fine with a bracket such as a hood channel or trunk lip mount and they don't have the seal around the base like a lot of commercial grade NMO antennas do (though that can be fixed with a $1 gasket that is usually sold with the cheap $7 1/4 wave whips).

As far as installing the actual NMO mount, I use a 3/4" NMO hole saw...looking at trying it with the Green Lee 3/4" punch but that requires dropping the headliner more than I usually do. I have done it with a step bit just gotta take your time an check your hole each step. Actually installing the mount is pretty easy. Wipe the roof around the hole clean with a damp rag or acetoned rag, make sure the seal on the bottom of the retaining ring is clean, insert and assemble the mount. As long as everything is snugged up it'll give you many years (measured in decades) of service, even when automated car washes are involved.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
they do make a spring section for the 2x4SR now. Debating if i want to order it or not.
Ive hit mine twice, once was a tree and i didnt care, but once was the entrance arch in a hotel, and i actually backed out.

Darn thing is too stiff and solid for roof mounts, especially in a higher vehicle.

I have moved that particular radio's antenna to a hood mount and solved that.

Status
Not open for further replies.