90 percent of traffic is dmr or nxdn. Uniden needs work this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

Lots of the stuff I listen to is nxdn or dmr which I can listen to with the sdr and dsd+ so obviously uniden could release a new scanner that will decide all these signals now that the narrowband mandate has been in effect for a while.

A narrowband mandate capable scanner is going to be a requirement.

So for the next version, focus the r&d money on core rf improvements and not new external features like wifi etc..

1 baseband and not discriminator tap tech from 1990s to fix simulcast issues and significantly improve digital demodulation.

2 capability to demodulate dmr,nxdn etc..

3 if possible track mototrbo etc..

If those 3 features get implemented I bet you would see a bunch of scanner sales.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Lots of the stuff I listen to is nxdn or dmr which I can listen to with the sdr and dsd+ so obviously uniden could release a new scanner that will decide all these signals now that the narrowband mandate has been in effect for a while.

So for the next version, focus the r&d money on core rf improvements and not new external features like wifi etc..

1 baseband and not discriminator tap tech from 1990s to fix simulcast issues and significantly improve digital demodulation.

2 capability to demodulate dmr,nxdn etc..

3 if possible track mototrbo etc..

If those 3 features get implemented I bet you would see a bunch of scanner sales.

I couldn't agree more. Anecdotally speaking, I'm sure the majority of business users here in Columbus (at least downtown, including all building security teams) have gone to DMR or NXDN. All of our Hospitals have also made the switch. And as we know, although ignoring interoperability, some Public Safety users have chosen this route.

prc117f

I couldn't agree more. Anecdotally speaking, I'm sure the majority of business users here in Columbus (at least downtown, including all building security teams) have gone to DMR or NXDN. All of our Hospitals have also made the switch. And as we know, although ignoring interoperability, some Public Safety users have chosen this route.

And more are moving quickly. All due to the narrowband mandate. now that unident blew its budget on the outside of the radio, ie LCD screen new UI and fancy wifi gadget, hopefully they will focus on the radio for the 6xx series.

Technically the 5xx series is really the 996 series in a new suit.

The 5xx series is pretty much obsolete as a serious scanner today. It was obsolete out of the the gate.

I suspect marketing was driving the design, not the engineers.

Voyager

Trunked MotoTRBO is proprietary and unless Motorola grants a license to use it, it can never legally be added to a scanner. Other DMR is possible, as is NXDN. But, it's really easy to check a box in the SW and encrypt either which is likely one reason the scanner manufacturers aren't gung ho to add it. It will only last a short time and may not be worth the R&D.

90% is DMR/NXDN? Why do I have such a difficult time buying that claim?

phask

Premium Subscriber
It's nearer to 0% in my area. I know of none, though there probably are some biz that I don't bother with.

Local hospitals re on the statewide interop.

prc117f

Trunked MotoTRBO is proprietary and unless Motorola grants a license to use it, it can never legally be added to a scanner. Other DMR is possible, as is NXDN. But, it's really easy to check a box in the SW and encrypt either which is likely one reason the scanner manufacturers aren't gung ho to add it. It will only last a short time and may not be worth the R&D.

90% is DMR/NXDN? Why do I have such a difficult time buying that claim?

I can send you a screen shot of 10mhz worth of UHF Tons of dmr and nxdn with a few scattering of analog Maybe where you live it's not a big issue, but where I live it is.

Now it's not a big deal for me since I have the airspy and can listen in even though I cannot trunk track. But there are workarounds using fast scanner plug in etc..

Hey if that is the direction you feel Uniden should go, then they should stop with the 5xxx series, fire the few engineers and just milk that model till the cows come home.

At least the one man shops are figuring out how to do it and are working on furthering the hobby

I find it funny that unident can't do it but a guy in his bedroom or garage can.

Thank god for the guys in the garage who can. Otherwise we would still be using punched card and mini computers.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
You can't hear Columbus from ZZV? :D

What agency? I can hear the .61 repeater :) But I don't have too much loaded that's in Columbus. I can't hear any of the COIRS or even MARCS IP in Licking but can hear MARCS in Licking.

The 3 or 4 major range of hills really hurt me. I have a 300' elevation gain 1/4 to the east and a 500-700' less than a 1/2 mile west

I'm at 800' elevation with a Diamond discone at 20'. I do need to re-do the coax this year, though I've set on the roof with a good antenna on an HP2 to check power levels and I'm about the same with it as the discone.

mmisk

I would like to see a scanner that has a display and OS like smart phones.
OS new versions with improvements could be simply downloaded.
Then developers could write additional applications etc.
Probably would never happen though.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes but OS and Firmware updates only work as high as hardware allows. And it sure looks like that is the drrection Uniden is headed with the SD card scanners. The part you forget we are in the 6th generation of smart phones and in the first generation of smart scanners.

mmisk

Yes, I do agree, you have a very good point there.
And the scanner market is so small compared to the cellphone market.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Of the literally hundreds of systems in my area, maybe 5 are DMR/NXDN. Not one Public Safety system, at least in Southern California. Businesses, Security guards, and the LA Light Rail operations.

While I would be happy to see some capability in the new models, I'm not gonna hold my breath that Uniden or Whistler invest into R&D for what is a niche market. They would be better off investing that R&D into compatible transceivers and let that piggyback into the scanner development.

These companies are in business to make money. If the capability would move the sales needle that much and made fiduciary sense, they would be selling them already.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'm still waiting for Passport. With LTR tech already built into the radio, this would be an easy addition. I have two large statewide Passport networks that both reach into my area and I can hear multiple sites on each system from my location. It would make tracking them so much easier...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Also the owners of the copyrighted PASSPORT would have to give them rights to use it at a cost of per scanner. If you look at the security or computer industry you pay on a per user charge not many companies are willing to give you money just to make money. Most hi-end video servers are set up with a cost of $200.00 or more per camera license plus the other side of this coin is the sales pitch that no scanner can hear our system and I have news for you they sell more radios than uniden sells scanners. Motorola sells more mototrbo radios than uniden sells scanners as does kenwood nxdn. So as you see its not that easy. P25 is an open system designed for Interoperability between all radio manufacturers. The problem is all the manufactures got greedy and decided to make Proprietary systems so only their radios could be used with their systems. And in most markets (like landline telephone, cell phone, cable tv, and even internet) would be called a monopoly DEFINITION of 'Monopoly' A situation in which a single company or group owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. By definition, monopoly is characterized by an absence of competition, which often results in high prices and inferior products.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The "Narrowband Mandate" has nothing to do with DMR (MotoTrbo) or NXDN digital formats

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Most modern scanners are capable of properly receive +/-2.5KHz transmissions.

The 'narrowband mandate' only requires LMR users to go from +/-5KHz deviation to +/-2.5KHz deviation. NOTHING requires them to switch from analogue to digital. Many are going digital simply to make up for coverage losses experienced by going from 5KHz deviation to 2.5KHz deviation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
dmr or nxdn? I wouldn't want to spend the money for it as its not in use for anything useless to monitor here in maine.

gesucks

So the correct Title for this thread should be:

"90 percent of traffic I LISTEN TO is dmr or nxdn. Uniden needs work this FOR ME."

With the first post being:

"Lots of the stuff I listen to is nxdn or dmr which I can listen to with the sdr and dsd+ BUT I WANT SOMETHING ELSE TO USE so obviously uniden could release a new scanner that will decide all these signals now that the narrowband mandate has been in effect for a while SINCE I DO NOT CARE IF IS LEGAL FOR UNIDEN OR NOT.

A narrowband mandate capable scanner is going to be a requirement BY ME.

1 baseband and not discriminator tap tech from 1990s to fix simulcast issues and significantly improve digital demodulation.(I'LL GIVE YOU THIS ONE)

2 capability to demodulate dmr,nxdn etc.. (SINCE I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN LEGALLY GET A LICENSE FOR IT OR NOT)

3 if possible track mototrbo etc..(AGAIN, SINCE I DO NOT CARE IF YOU CAN GET A LICENSE)

If those 3 features get implemented I bet you would see a bunch of scanner sales.SINCE THE SCANNER WILL COST THE SAME OR LESS SINCE YOU WILL HAVE TO REDESIGN EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT RECEIVE SIMULCAST BETTER. AND THE PAYING THE LICENSING FEES FOR DMR, MOTOTRBO AND NXDN WILL NOT DRIVE UP THE COST. OR IF YOU CANT GET THE LICENSES, THE EXTRA RISK LEGAL WILL MAKE YOU PUT IN THE BOTTOM LINE IN CASE YOU GET SUED WILL NOT RAISE THE COST EITHER.

Boatanchor

Most modern scanners are capable of properly receive +/-2.5KHz transmissions.

The 'narrowband mandate' only requires LMR users to go from +/-5KHz deviation to +/-2.5KHz deviation. NOTHING requires them to switch from analogue to digital. Many are going digital simply to make up for coverage losses experienced by going from 5KHz deviation to 2.5KHz deviation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Make up for coverage losses' - LMAO..

In my 'industry' experience, migrating to any digital voice format from analogue FM and even NFM has invariably required additional base station infrastructure at considerable cost to the end user/agency.

I have not seen a single system yet that 'went' digital with the same number of base stations as the legacy analogue system before it and this is true even with systems that stay on the same band.
Conventional digital voice system performance is the closest, coverage wise, to analogue, but as soon as you add trunking into the mix, you can factor in a 25-50% increase in the number of base stations required to cover the same geographic area, and that is for systems that stay on the same band.

Systems that get shifted from VHF or 400Mhz up to 7/800Mhz end up requiring an even greater capital outlay in base station infrastructure to provide the same coverage.

It's a good thing digital voice sounds so good to compensate for the additional costs - Oh, wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.