Frequency Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
For the most part a frequency counter is a piece of test equipment. Frequency counters can be used to measure from audio frequencies through RF frequencies. In the case of commercial transmitters they can be used to determine if the transmitter is within tolerance as required by the FCC. I am not aware of any laws that would affect the use of a frequency counter in the course of repairing or working on electronic equipment. A curious question so I suspect you have a specific circumstance you are interested in. Can you give us the details?
BB

Last edited:

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Under NY state law, it's generally illegal to hit someone over the head with a frequency counter, except in self-defense. It's also illegal to strangle someone with the power cord from a frequency counter.

D

DaveNF2G

What motivation would the legislators have for banning simple test equipment?

To answer your questions:

1) Except for the obvious (and amusing) response from blaze, there are no NY laws that specifically cover frequency counters.

2) FCC Regulations do cover them, but primarily as unintentional radiators under Part 15.

jonsmth

Under NY state law, it's generally illegal to hit someone over the head with a frequency counter, except in self-defense. It's also illegal to strangle someone with the power cord from a frequency counter.

...there's a particular HP 5335A Frequency Counter I've thought about beating with a sledge hammer from time to time, but have held back for fear of arrest by authorities.

eng5

Premium Subscriber
I'd imagine the OP is asking about pocket-size frequency counters like Optoelectronics. Regardless of their legality, you probably don't want to get in the way at an incident with one, or debate their legality with a police officer on the side of the road.

716polarbear

For the most part a frequency counter is a piece of test equipment. Frequency counters can be used to measure from audio frequencies through RF frequencies. In the case of commercial transmitters they can be used to determine if the transmitter is within tolerance as required by the FCC. I am not aware of any laws that would affect the use of a frequency counter in the course of repairing or working on electronic equipment. A curious question so I suspect you have a specific circumstance you are interested in. Can you give us the details?
BB
Law Dawg! I charged a burglar for possessing a Radio Device and Burglar Tools, in the 80's he had a scanner tuned to are freq. during the act. Frequency counter at that time would have qualified for the same charge at that time. Times have changed, just curious you guy's are up on that! I will be searching are CPL and Penal Laws and that includes V & T Law's. Thank you to all.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you show up at the N.I.S.T. Laboratories with a freq counter unannounced, you may be arrested (or worse). All ways call before you go...

Like Dave said, just Part 15 for radiation. Now, practically, a frequency counter is usually not effective unless it's in extremely close proximity to whatever's transmitting. I'm talking within inches or feet. If you take a frequency counter into a dense RF environment, all it's going to do is clock noise and display random frequencies.

The other side of this is that there are so many "boogeymen" around today - real or imagined, it doesn't make a difference - that you could easily be pegged for one if you tool around a major city with something like that in your pocket unless you can demonstrate the immediate need for it (like being a radio technician or engineer).

Status
Not open for further replies.