PRO 197/MPSCS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I picked up a pro 197 for a song and a dance so i'm tinkering with PSR500 (trial so far) to get it working here in SE Michigan. one thing i've noticed are some limitations to of the scanner when trying to 'build' MPSCS system for a large area.

My question is, what are some peoples tips they have found useful for organizing a large system within the confines that the 197 has?

i not asking how to use PSR500, or how to use the 197, or how to program anything but i'm curious if anyone's set up a multi site, multi county MPSCS successfully in the area and how they organized it in a PRO 197 type scanner.

It seems like your kind of pigion holed into x number of tower freq's and x of scan lists, as compared to say a PSR 800....

GeneseeCoMI

Hi,

I picked up a pro 197 for a song and a dance so i'm tinkering with PSR500 (trial so far) to get it working here in SE Michigan. one thing i've noticed are some limitations to of the scanner when trying to 'build' MPSCS system for a large area.

My question is, what are some peoples tips they have found useful for organizing a large system within the confines that the 197 has?

i not asking how to use PSR500, or how to use the 197, or how to program anything but i'm curious if anyone's set up a multi site, multi county MPSCS successfully in the area and how they organized it in a PRO 197 type scanner.

It seems like your kind of pigion holed into x number of tower freq's and x of scan lists, as compared to say a PSR 800....

If you want the whole state, it'd be best to divide it up into sections, a la MSP's districts, with one district per vscanner. I have all of the public safety in my county and the six surrounding it, as well as a bunch of other stuff, in a single vscanner on my Pro 106 and I'm barely taking up half of the allotted 1854 objects a vscanner allows.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
interesting...if i go to memory usage for my first attempt, I'm at:

Object Blocks used: 914
Object blocks available:938
50% free

That was just for a set of towers that comprised exactly 32 frequencies and 700 some odd TGID's for metro detroit and perhaps 150-200 conventional's...

It never occurred to me to try to follow their districting. Ive found some maps online, so i suppose you could use that as the guideline. How did you integrate, so to speak, the local municipalities? A lot of cities in metro Detroit share the system and i found it pretty easy to parse thing out in the GRE PSR 800. This 197 seems like a bit more thought needs to go into it.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My 500 was configured with different counties as different scan lists, and a "general" list.

I have lists for:
Washtenaw County
Livingston County
Wayne County
Detroit
Monroe County
Macomb County
Genesee County
Federal
Military

I did run in to issues with wanting more control channels than the radio had partitions for, so I had to start sorting in to "different" systems.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
This is not a rs/whistler brand bashing but yep there are limitations on rs/whistler models of those 32 frequencies, 20 scanlists and the listenable memory.
You can separate out as mentioned above also look to just program in only the control channels and alternate frequencies and you'll free up a lot of space doing that! Its how I program the radios.
They claim 39,000 memory but they are counting the vscanners that its memory can have but you cant listen to it, all one can do is swap in-out the 1,854 memory at a time.

Areas such as the s.e. mi areas is where on the uniden side you have 100 quickkeys (i.e. banks/scanlists type) and 25,000 listenable memory on XT models. I do have every control channel on the mpscs in one quickkey has about 83 frequencies in that one.

Last edited:

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
They all have pros and cons of course. i have the 197 in the daily driver now and i really like having some front panel buttons to control the radio with and the audio is pretty good, easy to hear in my rickety 200,000mile truck. The 800 is 'powerful' where the 197 seems more user friendly.

I think i can work within the confines of the 197 since it will basically only see service in monroe, wayne, and macomb so i think i can get it to go, even in this dense area.

the only thing i haven't figured out is if its possible to get the 197 to not flip between TGID and scanlist title. seems like every time my eyes make it over to see who's talking, its telling me the scanlist! argh!

GeneseeCoMI

interesting...if i go to memory usage for my first attempt, I'm at:

Object Blocks used: 914
Object blocks available:938
50% free

That was just for a set of towers that comprised exactly 32 frequencies and 700 some odd TGID's for metro detroit and perhaps 150-200 conventional's...

It never occurred to me to try to follow their districting. Ive found some maps online, so i suppose you could use that as the guideline. How did you integrate, so to speak, the local municipalities? A lot of cities in metro Detroit share the system and i found it pretty easy to parse thing out in the GRE PSR 800. This 197 seems like a bit more thought needs to go into it.

For Genesee Co, I divide the public safety by type: since there's so many of them, each one has its own scanlist (e.g. PD, FD, EMS, mutual aid, and Flint City and Fenton City since they're independent). Then the surrounding counties and the statewide event channels are in one scanlist each. I also have one for the airport, one for Consumers Energy, one for railroads, one for conventional security guards, 8TAC frequencies and DPW's, one for Flint MTA, one for Flint Citizens Radio Patrol, and one for milair. That adds up to 20 scanlists and 933 items taking up only 54% of this vscanner's memory.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
GenesseeCoMI,

Did you create just one MPSCS "system" for the things that are found there in your lists?

I think i will be creating at least two, one for Detroit, then another pretty much the rest.

im going to experiment between the two camps: by county, or by type.

GeneseeCoMI

GenesseeCoMI,

Did you create just one MPSCS "system" for the things that are found there in your lists?

I think i will be creating at least two, one for Detroit, then another pretty much the rest.

im going to experiment between the two camps: by county, or by type.

Each tower has its own object and I program each county for the nearest tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.