N9JIG New Home Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
We moved to Arizona a few weeks back and I finally have my shack working. There are still some important parts to be done, especially the antenna farm. I need some help to get my antennas installed in the attic so in the meantime I have a few mag-mount antennas on steel plates connected to the scanners.

My R8500 is in the shop, when it returns from Icom it will be put on the desktop under the Windows monitor.

Each cabinet has it's own 12VDC power supply, 1 or 2 Stridsberg multicouplers and a PowerPole distribution strip.

I have 3 of these cabinets I brought from my old home, but I don't need the third at this time. I used a bunch of the BCT15's for fire toneouts but they don't use toneouts here so I can reduce the radios needed. If I need the additional cabinet later I can reassemble it.
Radio1.JPG

Above and below are the 2 radio cabinets and the Windows computer used for programming and the RadarBox. On the left cabinet are some of the handhelds. In the left cabinet are 4 BCT15X's, 4 BCT15's, a Pro197 and my trusty TMD-700.

On the right cabinet is my HP-1. In the cabinet are 2 BCD996XT's, 2 BCT15's, a BCD536HP, 2 PSR600's, an IC-7000 and a VHF/UHF pair of CDM1250's.

The Windows computer runs the RadarBox, various radio programming packages and other radio stuff.

Radio2.JPG

Below are the iMac and a second monitor for it. This is my main computer for writing, web development and Internet stuf***e.

Comp.JPG

I have also deployed some of my model aircraft collection. The larger ones are easily seen, the smaller ones are in the cabinet and can be seen when the doors are open.
Planes.JPG

Hopefully soon I will be able to get into the attic and install the antennas. I have 4 AntennaCraft ST-2's, a Diamond Discone, a couple HF dipoles and a few others.

Radio1.JPG

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Nice new shack Rich! Glad you're getting settled in AZ, but sorry to see you leave NE IL... you were a valuable resource here!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I actually had just thought the other day about your post awhile back sharing with us that you were moving. Glad to see the new setup!

12dbsinad

Excellent! Love it! So, what are you thinking on doing for attic antenna's?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Excellent! Love it! So, what are you thinking on doing for attic antenna's?

He listed that below the picture of the bookcase with his model airplane collection.

To quote: I have 4 AntennaCraft ST-2's, a Diamond Discone, a couple HF dipoles and a few others.

He just hasn't had the chance to get them placed.

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
Only two screws per rack mount. That sure would bug me. Nice setup but I get tired of listening to just one radio sometimes.

N9JIG

Sheriff
To answer some of the questions:

Xrorx: Good catch! I haven't yet put in all the screws since I wanted to make sure I was happy with the layout first. I have been changing things around quite a bit since I have been here and want to be sure of the final layout before the rest of the screws go in.

I even bought all new rack screws I am saving once I settle on the final layout, just to they don't show any scuffs...

HotDave: I have retired after a long career as a police officer, supervisor and 9-1-1 Director, I spent a few years as a fire-medic before that. I have been working on and off for ScannerMaster over the years writing articles, books and doing other work and just last month started working on a regular basis doing phone support, sales and web development. It works well to have a scanner in front of me when a customer calls to ask questions!

K9WSS: The office already had it's own 20A circuit. My neighbor is an electrician and he said that I would be fine with a few computers and the 2 or 3 12VDC supplies. He would help put in an additional circuit if it is deemed necessary.

ScanCapeCod: I got these cabinets from NorthComm (Radio Specific Power Supplies). Marc helped me out tremendously with the cabinets, face plates and power supplies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have 3 of these cabinets I brought from my old home, but I don't need the third at this time. I used a bunch of the BCT15's for fire toneouts but they don't use toneouts here so I can reduce the radios needed. If I need the additional cabinet later I can reassemble it.

So can we surmise from this statement that you will have some 15's for sale soon? Or are you keeping them in a box just in case?

Also, the last picture as linked to below doesn't load...following the URL says it doesn't exist...not sure what it is a shot of but hey we might like to see it! Haha

http://www.n9jig.com/radio/051415/Home/Radio1.JPG

N9JIG

Sheriff
The link should actually be http://www.n9jig.com/radio/050415/Home/Radio1.JPG
I think you copied it wrong as the picture appears in my post (the first shot...)

The items from my old shack that are not included in the new one are the R8500 (takes up 4 u's), a pair of decoders (2 mu u's) The MaxTrac and the HP-1 (which is on top now) for another 2 u's. An analog GRE scanner is now my radio for the garage.

If I decide to rack mount the R8500 again once it is back from the shop I may either restore the 3rd cabinet, otherwise I will need to pull 4 of the other radios to clear rack space. I am not sure which way it will go...
http://www.n9jig.com/radio/051415/Home/Radio1.JPG

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Hopefully soon I will be able to get into the attic and install the antennas. I have 4 AntennaCraft ST-2's, a Diamond Discone, a couple HF dipoles and a few others.
Don't forget that you live in Arizona now. Your attic will very quickly become unbearable.

Nice work, Rich. I was confident your new shack would be impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.