Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumper809

Premium Subscriber
Hello all..new to the scanner scene. I live in Monroe and see that most agencies are moving to the LWIN. I am looking at purchasing the Uniden BCD436HP scanner. Just wanted to make sure this one could cover all the frequencies on this system.

Thanks!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You have one of the best scanners for the LWIN system. Have fun, and if you find anythig new, please do submit the data.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Because that 396/996XT sucketh on simulcast. If he is even thinking of going near any of the LWIN simulcast sites, the 436/536 is the best option other than the WS 1080/1095.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The other factor is P25 Phase II. While that's not currently needed for the OP's location, it may be needed for areas that are traveled to or through, whether for business, pleasure, or visiting relatives. Here in the DFW area,we currently have two Phase II systems (actual Phase II, not one capable of Phase II, but currently using Phase I, like Plano's PAWM). Those are the Irving layer on FWWRS and Forney. But, by this summer, Carrollton wil move to Phase II. In the next 12 to 18 months, maybe sooner, Grand Prairie will switch to Phase II (as a layer on FWRRS), and Garland and Mesquite will combine their systems into a new Phase II one (both are analog Motorola Type 2's at the minute). There are more announced and/or in the planning stages.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
LWIN has plans for Phase 2 in the future, but has not issued any info thru GOHSEP on implementation as the original FCC mandate which LWIN was waivered til 2020 for, is dead. If you travel in MS there is Phase 2 in use on the MSWIN, and up in TN on the TACN. AWIN has also not issued any mention thru ASP, as they also had waiver til 2020, but again that mandate for 700 MHz to be Phase 2 ready by next year is dead. Here in IN, the SAFE-T is going P25 this summer thru next spring, and will be Phase 1 but IPSC has stated that they are thinking of Phase 2 implementation near 2020.

Jumper809

Premium Subscriber
SO I got the BCD436HP...All I can say is wow! This thing picks up everything. And with the zip code programming, you can't go wrong. Thanks for all the input.

Did I mention how AWESOME this thing is?

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Better get 2

I use 2 digital scanners in my area. Man there is a lot of talking going on between taxi cabs, fires, automobile accidents, and so on.

chickman1313

Premium Subscriber
what all kinda stuff are you able to pickup? im looking into getting the same scanner or the 396XT. keep wanting to pull the trigger but haven't been able to yet.

other than police and emergency services, can you pick up other things as well? what about weather and VHF and UHF stuff, does it literally "scan" all radio frequencies around and stop when it hears something?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I know nothing about this, trying to learn.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
will send you a pm after church

Hey I headed off to church,but will get back to you. I was once a novice too back in 1987.

Jumper809

Premium Subscriber
what all kinda stuff are you able to pickup? im looking into getting the same scanner or the 396XT. keep wanting to pull the trigger but haven't been able to yet.

other than police and emergency services, can you pick up other things as well? what about weather and VHF and UHF stuff, does it literally "scan" all radio frequencies around and stop when it hears something?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I know nothing about this, trying to learn.

Yes I can pick up RR, utility services, taxi's....you name it. It picks up UHF and VHF from what i can tell (you can see that on the display) and weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.