Highest rating of AA batteries for 436?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the eneloop batteries which last longer than the stock batteries. I ordered them from Amazon and they're highly rated.

Vermonster

stingray327

I've had very poor luck with off brand batteries--which I would consider the linked Amazon product to be.
Almost always they don't deliver the stated MaH or LSD.

Eneloops cost a little more but seem to be worth it.

I generally use the standards:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-...e=UTF8&qid=1430845171&sr=8-2&keywords=eneloop

But if you really need the extra capacity you can use the pros:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-...e=UTF8&qid=1430845171&sr=8-5&keywords=eneloop

tHANKS for the info.

minh6710

The actual factory supplied batteries aren't bad, considering that they are a weird brand I've never heard of. I use the standard white Eneloops 2100mAh (max recharge cycles 2100) and the black Eneloop Pros 2550mAh (500 recharge cycles). I mostly use the pros although honestly, I don't think they last that much longer. I monitor P25 and rarely make it 8 hours on a set of batteries. More like 6 maybe 7 hours. The Eneloops aren't cheap but if you buy them in bulk of 8,12, or 16 or more it can really bring the price per battery down. You can't have too many AA's in my opinion. I wish it would take 4 AA's. I would be willing to live with the larger form factor in exchange for longer battery life. I switch out batteries two to three times a day sometimes.

Also, make sure you have a good charger. I use the Lacrosse charger and select the discharge cycle every time as well as charge at the slower rate.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I'm going to spin the thread into an important direction...

How are you charging the batteries?

Use a slow-rate charger and even cheap rechargeable batteries can outlast new name-brand batteries on a 15 minute quick charger.

(Intentional large line break to stop your thought process from the above statement...)

I'm not convinced that in-radio charging mechanisms are the best possible method of charging a battery but that's only my opinion, I have no REAL facts to back this up.

Thoughts? Real-world research?

wtp

well,

my girlfriend liked to charge in the radio until she realized how hot the radio got,
my term for using the radio is to "charge them in the oven".
she now charges outside (ok i recharge them for her).
she keeps the radio set to not recharge (alkaline) and plugs it in.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

Use a slow-rate charger and even cheap rechargeable batteries can outlast new name-brand batteries on a 15 minute quick charger.

(Intentional large line break to stop your thought process from the above statement...)

I'm not convinced that in-radio charging mechanisms are the best possible method of charging a battery but that's only my opinion, I have no REAL facts to back this up.

If you read my post above, I use the Maha MH-C801D charger / conditioner. You will notice that a LOT of people on this site will choose NOT to charge batteries internally. Most people will use external chargers.A lot of people, like myself, even condition their batteries. It's just not a good practice to heat up your $400+ scanner. I recommend staying away from 15 minute chargers. They tend to cook your batteries and over time tend to shorten their life.

Manny

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber

I only charge in an external charger. I've been using the La Crosse BC-1000 smart charger for about three years and have been extremely pleased with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...715139&sr=8-1&keywords=La+crosse+charger+1000

Status
Not open for further replies.