New Sentinel vs HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
I haven't updated my Sentinel Master DB in months. Today I attempted to download the latest DB and I got a message saying (paraphrasing) a new version of Sentinel is available and I must install it before downloading the latest DB.

Questions:

1. - Will the new Sentinel run on Windows 7?

2. - Does the new Sentinel support the HP-1?

3. - Will installing the new Sentinel wipe out my current favorite lists? If so, is there a way to save them before installation and then restore them after installation?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I haven't updated my Sentinel Master DB in months. Today I attempted to download the latest DB and I got a message saying (paraphrasing) a new version of Sentinel is available and I must install it before downloading the latest DB.

Questions:

3. - Will installing the new Sentinel wipe out my current favorite lists? If so, is there a way to save them before installation and then restore them after installation?

1. - Yes, no problem at all

2. - Yes, the current version of Home Patrol Sentinel (2.03 revision 02) supports both the HP1&2.

3. - from the Home Patrol support page:

"Note: If you have an earlier version of HomePatrol Sentinel, you do not need to remove it before installing the new version.

If You Have Favorites Lists

Start HomePatrol Sentinel, then select "Read from HomePatrol." This saves your current Favorites Lists as they are in your HomePatrol-1."

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Questions:

I'm running the "new" Sentinel on Windows 7
Yes. Sentinel (for the HP-x series) was updated to support the HP-21 as well as the HP-1

It did not wipe mine out when I upgraded. However, if you're still concerned, or just want a backup, export each FL to an *.HPE file. Then, if you ever needed them, just 'import from *.HPE. I export to *.HPE any Favorites list I'm about to delete. Many are lists that I put together for someone else, to give them a jump start. But they are in areas I am unlikely to travel to or through, so I don't need them sitting in my profile.

(I see fxdscon typed a little faster.)

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. Another question:

Will the Sentinel installation process actually delete my current Sentinel version and it's associated DB, or will I end up with 2 separate Sentinel versions and their 2 separate associated DBs on my computer?

Voyager

If you used the default install location, or if you specify the same location you used before, it will overwrite the old version without erasing your FLs. Make sure you install the correct version of Sentinel for your application (Original Sentinel vs x36 Sentinel).

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
If you used the default install location, or if you specify the same location you used before, it will overwrite the old version without erasing your FLs. Make sure you install the correct version of Sentinel for your application (Original Sentinel vs x36 Sentinel).

Now I'm confused. So there's separate Sentinel versions for HP-1/HP-2 vs 436/536? What if a person has BOTH types of scanners? (I don't, but I'm curious).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now I'm confused. So there's separate Sentinel versions for HP-1/HP-2 vs 436/536? What if a person has BOTH types of scanners? (I don't, but I'm curious).

Then you would need to install both Sentinel programs. The different Sentinel programs don't overwrite each other during installation, but newer versions of the same Sentinel will overwrite the older versions of that Sentinel.

If you install Home Patrol Sentinel, and then decide to install x36 Sentinel, you will have the two separate programs co-existing on your computer, and they will each maintain their own separate favorites lists.

If you install a newer version of Home Patrol Sentinel, it will overwrite the older version of Home Patrol Sentinel.

If you install a newer version of x36 Sentinel, it will overwrite the older version of x36 Sentinel.

marksmith

Yes. Pain in the ***. The HP-1/2 both running off one version is great. One database download, one favorites list database to maintain/modify and I can load the updated results on to 3 different HP radios in a couple minutes. Real slick.

Then I have to do the whole database download and favorites list updating all over again to update the 536. Pain in the ***.

Then all the same stuff over again for the GRE/RS/Whistler radios. At least for these, even though they all have separate apps, I only need to use them for firmware updates. I maintain the database and scanlists in one app, then just copy the days files to the other apps, as with the exception of the global radio defaults file the data is identical.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

lep

Sentinel for the HP installs on the desktop with an Orange colored shield. But Sentinel for the x436 series installs with an Green colored shield. Easy to tell the 2 different programs apart.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If you ae doing the same FLs in both - do it in the X series, then HPE for the HP1 (not vice versa)

Still a PITA - but if you have a LOT to do.

Yes. Pain in the ***. The HP-1/2 both running off one version is great. One database download, one favorites list database to maintain/modify and I can load the updated results on to 3 different HP radios in a couple minutes. Real slick.

Then I have to do the whole database download and favorites list updating all over again to update the 536. Pain in the ***.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Status
Not open for further replies.