ADS-B and Diamond D3000N antenna's twin towers! Amazing Reception..Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Well, I finally got around to putting my D3000N antenna up on the side of the house, grounded properly, and the results are very very good. I am in North Brampton and TTC is booming (BTW, I have a friend there in the radio department, he says the Tetra testing is in its infancy, and you are looking at least another 2 years of listening! He sent me a picture of his handheld...

Go Transit, Region of Peel, Toronto City Services, City of Brampton LTR, all coming A+ I am really liking this Diamond antenna! Cheers,

DSC_0124 by CYYZGUY, on Flickr

DSC_0122 by CYYZGUY, on Flickr

Jason

Last edited:

tilt404

Have you had any trouble with the wind? Just on the Diamond x50a I had, it would shake at the tip like a wet noodle in high winds and cause so much vibration down the mast.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I will try to answer some of the questions here...So far I have not had any wind/vibration problems. I am using 2, 18 inch standoff brackets going in to lead anchors in to the brick work. The ADS-B antenna has been through a few bad wind storms and has survived. And yes the ADS-B is a DPD antenna. My mast is about 15 Feet in length, up about 18 feet on the house, so a total height of about 33 feet, plus antenna height.

Jason

jim202

Hey guys, I will try to answer some of the questions here...So far I have not had any wind/vibration problems. I am using 2, 18 inch standoff brackets going in to lead anchors in to the brick work. The ADS-B antenna has been through a few bad wind storms and has survived. And yes the ADS-B is a DPD antenna. My mast is about 15 Feet in length, up about 18 feet on the house, so a total height of about 33 feet, plus antenna height.

Jason

I would like to point some important information out those that my not know better. You notice the anchors are placed in the brick and not in the mortar between the bricks. The reason I point this out is the mortar is much softer than the brick. It may be a tempting place to put your anchors, but they won't last. Over time the wind vibration will loosen up the anchors in that mortar and they will come loose and pull out.

If your looking to put up a really tall mast, get the brackets as far apart as you can to cut down on the stresses. Maybe even consider a second set of brackets. That brick wall doesn't have a whole lot holding it to the inside wall of the house. They were made to just sit there, not be put under torsional tension and stress.

Get the correct drill bit and a hammer drill. Drill the holes into the brick slowly so you don't crack the brick. You will be much happier over time with the installation lasting. You won't have to pay for a mason to come and repair damage caused by your poor installation using only the mortar joint for your anchors.

What ever you do, never consider using your chimney for the support for any antenna.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Some excellent advice Jim, I tried to avoid the Mortar as much as possible, sometimes it just does not line up the way you want it to. However I did a pretty good job at going around them.

Thank you.

Jason

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 sections...one 10 foot..one 5 foot. They are of course flared like any other joining posts so they slip in to eachother. For extra strength i put in 4 steel screws holding them together. I tried 20 feet...but there was just too much sway....

Jason

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Just an update as to my scanning results: Located in North Brampton

Reception ratings...

Go Transit 10/10
Peel Region 10/10
City of Brampton LTR 7/10 (always seems to be rather weak/low voice)
NOAA Weatherradio Buffalo 162.550 10/10
Canada's Wonderland 10/10
CYYZ Various Frequencies 10/10 Both Ground/Tower and in the air.
Eaton Centre LTR system 5/10

I am loving this Diamond D3000 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.