New Virginia member, new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Hello, just found this place (this subforum in particular) while Googling Loudoun County Sheriff's Office radio info. Found a lot of good info on quite a few different things, so I decided to join. I'm relatively new to Virginia, and live up in Loudoun Heights, not far from Harpers Ferry, WV.

As a kid I was really into radio and scanners, but technology started changing drastically in the mid/late '90s when I was a teenager. With the advent of trunked radio systems it became cost prohibitive for me to keep up, and I lost interest. Fast-forward about 20 years later, I bought a Uniden BC125AT on a whim last November. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and features of the radio for the price, but was also disappointed that most of the "good stuff" around me was all digital.

I stopped into Radio Shack today, hoping to find an outdoor scanner antenna, but they were all gone. I found a few other little things the discounts made hard to pass up, and made my way to the counter, where something inside caught my eye: the Uniden BCD436HP. What can I say, I'm a sucker for huge, backlit alphanumeric displays. But it was the price tag that made my heart skip a beat -$300!!! I thought about it a few minutes, did a little research on my phone to make sure it was compatible with what I wanted to monitor, stared at it a couple more minutes while probably making some pretty strange faces, and eventually decided to just go for it. I've only been playing with it for about half an hour or so, but this thing is AMAZING! I'm really looking forward to using it to its full potential, and looking forward to participating here.

randy6800

Premium Subscriber
I'm really pleased with my 436. Go to youtube and watch some videos by K4DPS on programming and short cuts.I've had mine a year now and still learning.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Have to echo Randy, love mine. I have the 436 and several GRE/RS units and love them. The 436 does astoundingly on digital and pretty darn good on the rest too.

Welcome to the forum and VA.

Make sure you set up your own favorite lists or you'll go crazy with all the stuff you're scanning.

Also read the easier to read 436 manual by Mark here, its fantastic. I also have to second, third and fourths what Randy said about K4DPS. His videos are amazing and really helpful. I watched them myself and couldn't have figured this stuff out without them. https://www.youtube.com/user/k4dps

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

mikev

I stopped into Radio Shack today, hoping to find an outdoor scanner antenna, but they were all gone. I found a few other little things the discounts made hard to pass up, and made my way to the counter, where something inside caught my eye: the Uniden BCD436HP. What can I say, I'm a sucker for huge, backlit alphanumeric displays. But it was the price tag that made my heart skip a beat -$300!!!

Which Radio Shack? The one in Leesburg? I've been considering a 436, but haven't wanted to shell out the dough to get it somewhere online. Not only would I be saving money, but I'd get instant gratification as well!

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I'd imagine any Radio Shack that had any left in stock would have them at the reduced price, but I got mine at the store in Charles Town, WV.

Status
Not open for further replies.