Audio cutting out on BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbycop

Hey, I purchased the above-referenced scanner brand new in November 2014 from Amazon.

For the past week, I have noticed that the audio is cutting in and out. I have an old analog Bearcat Scanner and turned it on and followed the same frequencies as my new one, and the old one is working perfectly, but the digital is not, so I know it has to be the scanner, and not the dispatchers' voices.

Has anyone else had this problem with the same scanner? Not sure what to do with it; do I send it back to Amazon, or try to get Uniden to fix it? Advice, please, and thank you!

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Does the audio cut out at certain intervals of time or just randomly? My first thought is you have either Close Call or Weather Alert Priority turned on?

robbycop

Defective Audio on My Scanner

The audio cuts in and out just randomly. I run it 24/7 so I can say that for certain. My weather alert is set to OFF.
Can you walk me through the Close Call procedure? As far as I know, I don't use this option. Under Menu, should I choose Srch/Close Call Opt or Close Call? I looked at all those setings under those two options, but am uncertain how they work. I would like to turn off Close Call completely. I don't think I ever activated it when I programmed my scanner. I believe the option comes with the scanner. How can I turn it off? Help is greatly appreciated!

robbycop

Malfunctioning Audio on my BCD396XT

Also, the problem with the audio cutting in and out is a recent one. It's only been about the last two weeks the scanner has done this and yet I've used it 24/7 since I bought it in November 2014 and haven't made any changes to it.

I checked my FreeScan options and the Close Call system came with the scanner, but there are no groups listed underneath it. Should I perhaps check the box that says: Locked Out? Would that turn off the Close Call on my Scanner after I re-upload the info from my FreeScan software file?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You probably inadvertently activated it. Close Call can easily be turned on and off by pressing Function and Hold. (You will see a circle with a C in it (looks like the reticle in a rifle sight) in the lower right hand corner of the display when it is active).

Every time you press function, then hold, it will cycle through CC DND (Close Call - Do Not Disturb), CC PRI (Close Call - Priority), and CC OFF. (when it is in CC PRI mode is when it will cut out). In CC DND it will listen for close call hits but not interrupt other transmissions.

The Uniden DMA scanners are great radios but probably have more features than you will ever use. The link below is to an online scanner manual which explains all of this scanner's many features. I suggest you read it and refer to it when you have questions. (help is always available in the forums as well):

BCD396XT Easier to Read Manual

There is also help in the Wiki section:

Uniden DMA Scanners

Last edited:

robbycop

BCD396XT Scanner

Thank you, sir (or madam), for that information. You are right about my scanner. It has massive capabilities. I kept my old one, analog Bearcat, and that's how I noticed the cutting in and out when they ran next to each other.

I often wondered about that reticular symbol. It's in my manual for my old Bearcat scanner. I do have that Easy to Read Manual (I have the .pdf version) for the link you sent me. I looked in there, but couldn't solve my audio problem by reading it. I'm sure that sometime when I picked up my scanner, I pressed tlhe Function/Menu button and activated the CC. Thank you so much for that information. I so appreciate you helping me.

The reason I upgraded my Bearcat scanner is because my old one was analog and only picked up the 9 local police districts, fire, and EMS transmissions. The Bearcat BCD396XT does have those massive capabilities plus it's digital and gives me the ability to pick up the cities surrounding San Diego County since those cities are digital. SD remains analog until they can afford to upgrade.

I would probably like to use the CC function, but can't seem to master the art. I do cruise the Public Service channels occasionaly and sometimes listen to HAM radio but I'm really only interested in the law enforcment portion of my scanner. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.