Central Valley "Sky King 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

Yesterday evening I heard Kings County Sheriff asking if "Sky King 1" was still up and available. I was wondering if anyone knew who this aircraft belonged to, and what type it was? I have never heard this call sign utilized before so I am a little puzzled. Thanks.....

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Yesterday evening I heard Kings County Sheriff asking if "Sky King 1" was still up and available. I was wondering if anyone knew who this aircraft belonged to, and what type it was? I have never heard this call sign utilized before so I am a little puzzled. Thanks.....

I'm not from your area so I'm not entirely positive on this, but I do see that King's County Sheriff has an air operations unit. Could this be the airship they were calling for?

Air Support (Helicopter) Unit

car5le

Premium Subscriber
Sky King One is a Robinson helicopter that both Tulare County and Kings County use. It is a contract program privately operated. I'm not sure of the amount of flight time they have, but they aren't up much.

emt_531

Thanks for the response. I remember a few years ago they contracted a helo along with several agencies in Tulare County but it had a different call sign. I am assuming that it's the same company.

Henry One was the call sign now that I think of it......

Last edited:

emt_531

Just an update: It's definitely not a helo. It looks to be a small airplane. I wonder if Kings County bought the aircraft they said they were going to a few years ago?

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
Sky King, the TV show.

Yes, I do. Even as a kid I questioned how Sky used an aircraft radio to contact the Sheriff on his public safety LMR.

kma371

QRT
Just an update: It's definitely not a helo. It looks to be a small airplane. I wonder if Kings County bought the aircraft they said they were going to a few years ago?

Car5le sources are pretty good. What makes you think it's not?

emt_531

Car5le sources are pretty good. What makes you think it's not?

I agree, he was the person I was hoping would respond to thread. I saw the aircraft in operation the other day and it is indeed a tiny airplane. A very quiet one at that. It also identified itself as Kings County Sky King 1 while on a mutual aid call.

kma371

QRT
I agree, he was the person I was hoping would respond to thread. I saw the aircraft in operation the other day and it is indeed a tiny airplane. A very quiet one at that. It also identified itself as Kings County Sky King 1 while on a mutual aid call.

Ah, well quite possible then according to this article:

http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/loc...cle_1f9a4d5c-68c7-11e3-8af4-0019bb2963f4.html

But I don't see anything registered to them. Must be contracted out if anything.

Last edited:

emt_531

Status
Not open for further replies.