BCD436HP Id shows but no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzle

Occasionally when my 436HP stops on an trunk ID, the ID shows but I can hear no audio. Anyone else experience this? Any fix?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Possible inadvertent key-up - a user presses the transmit button unknowingly?

If this is a digital simulcast system, sometimes that simulcast distortion pest shows up as no audio. The scanner is receiving digital data, but is having trouble decoding it into intelligible audio.

troymail

Silent Key
Occasionally when my 436HP stops on an trunk ID, the ID shows but I can hear no audio. Anyone else experience this? Any fix?

Seen this quite often -

As ofd8001 says, the radio sometimes switches to the voice frequency but can't properly decode the digital stream.

Other times, I also only hear a "hissing sound"...

And still other times - assuming you have another radio - the x36 just totally misses the activity in the control channel stream and the radio doesn't even switch to the voice frequency.

Upman and others used to say (maybe still do) --- YMMV ("you mileage may vary").

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

How is this being done? Is this in a fav list or scanning the full db?

I had an issue using the zip code method. I put in my zip and set a range. The scanner was trying to scan the Ct state police. I was getting 4 bars and had tg's showing up but no audio. Being on Long Island, I thought of the rf was there, I was hearing the system.

The issue was that the range listed for the Ct state police was set too high, and it was overlapping my search range, hence why the scanner loaded the system. And one of the sites in the Ct state police used has some of the same freqs as my local county trs uses.

So while it seemed like it was receiving the Ct system, it was actually receiving the county system here on Long Island. The tg,s would pop up, but never any audio..

Bizzle

Happens when scanning the full db. I have only had the scanner roughly a week and haven't had the chance to make favorite lists.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Happens when scanning the full db. I have only had the scanner roughly a week and haven't had the chance to make favorite lists.

You are likely encountering encryption. The x36's mute it and resume scanning when they detect it on Phase 1 systems, and the RRDB is full of encrypted talkgroups that have been logged.

If anyone over at Uniden (say UPMan for example) is reading this and contemplating a future firmware option or Sentinel setting, I suggest adding an option that allows you to automatically skip talkgroups that the RRDB has marked as encrypted when scanning the full DB. I'm sure the support group gets plenty of calls/emails about this exact same issue daily so that would be an easy way to keep them from having to answer this one again and again.

-AZ

Voyager

Then what happens to those TGs that are tagged encrypted but aren't using full time encryption? I would rather see a TG flash on the display than miss unencrypted comms.

Voyager

I haven't seen an answer to my previous question: Are you using the latest firmware?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I have this happening also, nothing but dead air or a slight hiss. In my situation, I narrowed it down to a particular frequency (773.03125) in the site that is doing it. Phase 1 traffic comes over fine, however phase 2 is always silent or a slight hiss. My Prod668 does the same thing, so my first thought was that there is a problem with the site, however it has been like this for a couple months now and I only noticed it after they added another frequency to the site and the offending frequency in question became the first used channel in the group.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have this happening also, nothing but dead air or a slight hiss. In my situation, I narrowed it down to a particular frequency (773.03125) in the site that is doing it.

What site is doing it to you ?

The freq you mentioned is used in New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS)
Hunterdon Simulcast Site Details (New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS))
Netcong Site Details (New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS))

and Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network 700MHz P25 Air-Ground as an alternate control channel
Reesers Summit (YORK01) Site Details (Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network 700MHz P25 Air-Ground)

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
That is a good 2 hour drive by car. I can't imagine that site would interfere. Anything over Phase 1 is perfect, but not phase 2. That is the only frequency on that site that gives a problem, all the other's are fine.

I also ruled out any interference inside my house by going into a nearby open field.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The 3 I listed were the only identified in nj and pa, I wonder if you searched other states near you if anything else would show up. .

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Then what happens to those TGs that are tagged encrypted but aren't using full time encryption? I would rather see a TG flash on the display than miss unencrypted comms.

True... hence the option to enable them or not, like we currently can with services. Guys like me and you might want to try out a talkgroup that is flagged as encrypted once in a while, but the average "plug in your zip code and go" moe isn't going to want that, most likely. I normally don't either.

Getting off the subject... Bizzle, let's see what system and talkgroups specifically you're talking about and we can go from there. There has to be an explanation.

-AZ

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have this happening also, nothing but dead air or a slight hiss. In my situation, I narrowed it down to a particular frequency (773.03125) in the site that is doing it. Phase 1 traffic comes over fine, however phase 2 is always silent or a slight hiss. My Prod668 does the same thing, so my first thought was that there is a problem with the site, however it has been like this for a couple months now and I only noticed it after they added another frequency to the site and the offending frequency in question became the first used channel in the group.

Since it's happening on 2 different manufacturer of radios I would lean towards a system issue...but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.