Statewide tac - PL or no PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Had a few people state there is a PL on this channel, and a few that say CSQ and yet a couple that say its been discontinued.

From the DB:
154.69500 KA4207 BM CSP STW TAC Statewide Tactical

Anyone fill in the blanks?

I've also been told that the VHF channels are slowly being completely phased out with the recent patrol car builds..

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I recall reading various materials indicating CSP spent large sums of money trying to build VHF towers in various places, and/or equip all vehicles with VHF radios. I also recall reading they had unexpected problems/complications and fell behind schedule. I really wish someone in the "know" would explain what the status of the VHF "network" is for CSP, how many vehicles they plan to equip with VHF radios, how many vehicles are currently so equipped, whether they plan to build more VHF towers, etc. I've seen some vehicles with DTR & VHF antennas, and some vehicles (even in the 1 Adam area) with a single DTR antenna.

As I'm writing this, it just dawned on me that CSP's primary purpose for installing VHF radios may NOT be for use with CSP-owned frequencies, but rather VHF towers owned by agencies who still use VHF (i.e. Clear Creek Co, Gilpin County, Boulder County, etc). So, maybe they don't have any plans to build out additional CSP-owned VHF repeater sites.

As best I can tell CSP only uses 2 VHF channels in the Denver-Metro area, and one of them operates in half-duplex mode. At least from my locations/scanning, it is quite rare to hear CSP use any fully repeated channels within the Denver-Metro area. I last heard it about six months ago from 1 Adam troopers. Also, it seems like the fully-repeated channel they've used in the past (I can't remember the freq offhand) hasn't been emitting any morse code tones for some time. (I have a vague recollection of hearing morse code from a CSP freq in the last 1-2 years, but not recently. Can someone else confirm this?)

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
VHF was their legacy means of communications prior to accepting DTRS... so its really nothing new to them.

VHF radio's remained in the cars for chit chat and backup purposes until coverage was accepted by CSP on DTRS.

Basically, they are not building out the VHF system, but that its not in use anymore as it once was - since everything is essentially - DTRS. The only use I have heard, which from what I am told and know of is the old Channel 3 which was a car/car channel.

My question is, are the VHF radios no longer being installed and VHF abandoned at the patrol level, and on the old statewide channel (which has essentially be replaced by the statewide DTRS talkgroups) PL, CSQ, or really no longer in use?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
My notes show that I've heard traffic within the past 1-2 years on Statewide, Channel 3 and Channel 5. Some time ago I removed the PL tones from these freqs, because I heard them so rarely I felt it was impossible to "confirm" the "correct" PL just from scanning.

ron36

Csp colorado .

154 695 is Csq no tone .. 154 .905 m and use its tone. or in search tone mode. keep both as a listed frequency if not programmed as a Back up system they on DR system primary .. keep 3 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.