DSD on Bearcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Are any of the newer Uniden 996XT 536 HP capable of DSD. and if so how would you go about doing such? Thanks in advance!!

Voyager

Any receiver is capable of a discriminator tap as long as the discriminator is accessible.
If you mean does it plug in a stock radio, it does not. It requires you to add a discriminator tap.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't wish to be rude or dissuade you, but I have to add that running and installing DSD is not a trivial exercise. It does require a bit of study and somewhat more advanced knowledge of the protocols it covers to really make sense of it.

Adding a discriminator tap to the 996 might be easier than on the 536 (in fact I don't know of any real doc on that subject - if there's someone that has been brave enough to do it on a 536, speak up...). The tap point, as I understand it, is in the middle of the main board on the underside, and it's even marked.

There are folks that will add a tap for a fee, or if you have some soldering and small tool skills, you can do it yourself.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
RE DSD

Ive read the wiki on DSD, my electronics knowledge will not allow my mind to understand what it says!!! I do understand the complexity and have no desire to ruin a perfectly good scanner with globs of solder or touching something I didnt need to. My local police use ProVoice and I was just hoping an easier way to listen since they wont give any scanner the right to use it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.