Dayton, OH: AOR to demonstrate their new AR-DV1 Multi-Mode Digital Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
AOR to demonstrate their new AR-DV1 Multi-Mode Digital Receiver at the Scanner Master booth #402 on Friday May 15th at 2 PM

We are so pleased and excited to announce that Taka Nakayama of AOR-USA will be at our booth on Friday afternoon at the Dayton Hamvention this year to demonstrate the eagerly awaited, all-new, AR-DV1 receiver.

The DV1 is the first radio that provides decoding of many of the digital formats which no other scanner is able to receive, including:
MotoTrbo (tm)
DMR (tm)
dPMR (tm)
NXDN (tm)
as well as numerous amateur radio digital formats from Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom and Alinco. The radio will also decode APCO-25 Phase I digital as well as conventional analog traffic. (The receiver does not trunk). MotoTrbo systems are now used by public safety agencies and business around the country and the world. NXDN is used by public safety as well as railroads around the nation.

This radio is a huge breakthrough and we hope you'll join us at Dayton this year to see the receiver in action, live at our booth. We also will have a small stock available for purchase at the show and it is also available through our website to order. Gommert Buysen of BuTel Software will once again be at our booth as well.

freqseek

Thanks Blantonl, Great News, a good incentive, I just may have to make the trip now.

Voyager

There is another thread with lots of performance reports. One really disappointing thing is that it apparently won't show any CC/RAN/RAS or TG info.

RayAir

DV-1 : $1200 , no digital channel information

DSD- v1.074, Free, displays digital channel data, maps and logs digital TRS activity, GPS location tracking map display, control channel only decode.

It's cool someone finally released a receiver that decodes some popular digital formats, but I'm sticking with DSD+ and a laptop for now.

I have to give it to AOR for trying though. They are way ahead of Whistler and Uniden which are still about 10 years behind and continue to release new lame scanner after lame scanner.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
AOR

Some people need turn key solutions. Also I suspect these radios will improve with time.. I still have my no longer functioning Trunktracker 1 Bearcat 235. I loved it. Would have paid 1000 dollars for it back in 1997. Had to turn to the net to get the Fleet map right for a now deprecated Type 1 system. I sure cried when I realized it couldn't trunk out of the box. I sure envy these guys that can figure out all this complicated digital stuff.

RU3ANQ

Very interesting radio indeed. I've ordered one for testing. What AOR always doing great that is the radio. DSD is decoder software only, it is not a radio.

DSD it is like chineese Baofeng.

AOR it is like Moto.

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I will probably also keep the radio. I would like to see what the new firmware will do over time. I do have to hand it to AOR for trying something innovative. Being right near Torrance where AOR USA is located, and now having established a friendly relationship with Taka, I can interact with him as the radio develops and hopefully pass along some of our discussions to those who own the radio.
I brought over one of my Uniden 536HPs over to Taka a couple of days ago. We spent some time with the radio. He is going to use it to search out some P2 P25 trunk systems, then use a tapped scanner to record the I/Q data for his engineers in Japan. He hopes this will help them to add P25 phase 2 to a future firmware update. I told him he is free to use the 536HP as long as he wants, and travel with it to different locations like Las Vegas and Tuscon that have very active P2 systems.
I was frustrated at first, and still am, but as Balibago states, I also don't need something to work right away, although that would be nice. One of the things the AR DV1 has is good discriminator output from its auxiliary jack on the rear panel. So while you are listening to NXDN, P25, or DMR on the radio, you can also get the decode info from DSD+. Hopefully, this decode info like TG, RAN, Color Code, ... can eventually be incorporated in firmware. By the way, the discriminator out can be used to decode NXDN 12.5 Khz with DSD+ for the time being.
If AOR can get the scan speed better, and if the computer interface gets going so software can be written, it will be kind of exciting to watch what happens over time. I have decided that $1200 is probably worth it to be in on some of this new action on the receiver/scanner front.
I chatted with Taka the other day for probably an hour when I brought over the 536HP. The AR-DV1 basically incorporates many of the features of the ARD-300 decoder within this new radio. Taka and AOR seem committed to getting this thing to work.
Again, I have no financial interest in AOR. Just an interested scanner/radio enthusiast interested in new developments.

lep

There is so much to read that I save weekends for that chore so today I finally got around to the
April 2015 issue of SIGNAL (the Journal of AFCEA) for those not familiar with this magazine. On page 45 is a small color advert for the AR-DV1 (the same receiver shown at Dayton (it was not available to see until sometime after 2 PM on Friday). The advert text is not the same as the catalog sheet being handout out at Scanner Master prior to 2 PM (I had other things to do and did not bother to go back and see the actual radio.
However, according to the ad on p.45 it decodes: " Mototrbo; DMR, dPMR, APCO 25, Icom D-star, digital CR, Yaseu, Kenwood, NXDN, and Alinco EJ-47U as well as conventional analog systems."

I leave it to those who actually have their hands on the unit to comment further.

LEP

prc117f

Very interesting radio indeed. I've ordered one for testing. What AOR always doing great that is the radio. DSD is decoder software only, it is not a radio.

DSD it is like chineese Baofeng.

AOR it is like Moto.

Actually not really. It underperforms 500 dollar scanners even for conventional scanning. poor receive on FM modulation etc..

So you are paying 1200 dollars for a radio with poor RF performance, and it cant even trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.