Listening to various agencies on ICIS, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

I've got what is a embarrassingly simple question I'm hoping you guys could help answer with regards to ICIS and listening to various agencies etc.

I've been monitoring LAPD, LASD, LAcoFD and quite a few others for years and years with no problem on my uniden scanners, I've got different favorite lists and systems setup for the different areas I goto and turn them on/off via QuickKeys as I drive around. [for example when I'm in the valley I've got a FL with LAPD, LAFD, CHP etc that only has those areas. Same with Hollywood. West Hollywood. EastSide, WestSide, downtown etc] It helps me only hear local things which I prefer.

That said, I've always had trouble listening to things on ICIS because i find the whole scheme confusing. Perhaps someone can help me.

for example. if I'm in Burbank, and want to hear verdugo fire and burbank PD, I'd have those TGs enabled but which sites should I have turned on/off? Are they both on the P25 system or is one and another separated.

Same goes for Beverly Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Culver City, etc.

is it possible to organize a trunked system that way to where I've got a simple 'Burbank" favorite list that has only the burbank agencies/sites or no?

I get confused as to whose on white sites, whose on which system and though the database helps, there's a lot of duplicate agency stuff in there.
Just wanted to get some clarify on your best tips/tricks.

Last edited:

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert but I've been listening to ICIS for a while and have them set up in 2 different FL or banks.

ICIS - Trunked covers many stations - too many to list here but I'm sure you already know this.
ICIS P25 has Verdugo fire, Glendale, Burbank PD plus some Pasadena stations.

I guess you could conceivably put different stations in separate FLs such as Beverly Hills in 1 and PD Detectives in another.

I have it set up in 2 banks on my Pro-106. On my BCD436 I have ICIS and P25 in the same FL list. I've noticed that the 436 scans a little slower with this setup so I think I will put them in different FLs soon.

I hope this helps and I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

karldotcom

Well, in my "older" 296 and 796 scanners, I have a bank for Burbank, bank for Glendale, bank for Pasadena P25. The Burbank bank also has other conventional Burbank frequencies like the backup airport freqs, school district, RR, the studio security folks, etc. I also have a bank for FIRE that has Glendales ICIS cell,with only Verdugo TGs then all LAFD and LACFD freqs and some others.

In my 396, I have each individual ICIS cell as its own system...and some conventional freqs as systems and linked via a Quick Key

Quick Key 1 - Burbank ICIS system
Burbank P25 test system (not sure if this is still up)
Burbank Conventional Freqs System

Quick Key 2 - Glendale ICIS system (GPD, Verdugo, other Glendale TGs)
Glendale P25 system (Public Works, GCCPD TGs)

Quick Key 5 - All LAPD frequencies

And in case there is a big event (plane down, disaster)
Quick Key 98 - All Basin LAPD Dispatch, Tac, Simplex/LAFD frequencies for South of Mulholland
Quick Key 99 - All Valley LAPD Dispatch, Tac, Simplex//LAFD frequencies for North of Mulholland

http://www.icisradio.org/maps.asp

If you look at the ICIS maps, you can see the predicted coverage for each cell. For example, Glendale's cell covers Burbank, but Burbank's cell doesnt cover Glendale or Pasadena. And while I can get Pasadena P25 system well in West Burbank, I don't think it will come in well in the Downtown area against the mountains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.