would helicopters coming in and out of philadelphia use

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
Would helicopters coming in and out of Philadelphia use the tower channel or the tracon app dep channel or the helicopter Unicom channels can anyone help me out on this just wanted to know if I should include these in my radio.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Would helicopters coming in and out of Philadelphia use the tower channel or the tracon app dep channel or the helicopter Unicom channels can anyone help me out on this just wanted to know if I should include these in my radio.

They would use the same frequencies as low altitude fixed wing aircraft, so the same tower freqs, approach control, and en-route freqs. They're probably going to be VFR, so there might be VFR corridor frequencies to listen to.

Go to a nearby pilot supply shop and pick up the local sectional charts. The frequencies of interest will be listed on the chart. If there are any dedicated ATC frequencies for helicopters, it would be listed on the sectional chart. CTAF frequencies for small airports would be used, as well.

What you won't find on the sectional is things like FBO frequencies.

pilotman6012

In my area they use regular approach for major airports and unicom for the smaller airports also 123.0250 Helicopter unicom,multiple military and medical choppers on that frequency everyday,so that others know when they are inbound or outbound from a hospital.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys I will put the app and dep channel back in my radio I had the helicopter channel and air to air in the radio along with there private channel. I am trying to hear the helicopter in the area of the train derailment but I only here trooper 1 calling philly pd and that was it .

ampulman

Thanks guys I will put the app and dep channel back in my radio I had the helicopter channel and air to air in the radio along with there private channel. I am trying to hear the helicopter in the area of the train derailment but I only here trooper 1 calling philly pd and that was it .

I frequently monitor the local news media frequencies, which include the helicopters on the scene. You can frequently hear 'raw' audio as well as on the scene reports.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.