Sangean 909X Wire Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko10

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong (being a newbie) but when listening to a particular AM station, using the whip, I get a signal level of around 4. However, when I plug the Ant 60 wire antenna (that came with the radio) into AM External Antenna port I lose the signal entirely. Moreover, it does not appear I can get any signal the Ant 60 regardless of the band/frequency.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Most of these portables have an antenna switch on the side of the radio to select the external antenna...Mike

[edit] Hmm, just looked at the Universal website and didn't see it - did you check the manual?

Last edited:

Boombox

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong (being a newbie) but when listening to a particular AM station, using the whip, I get a signal level of around 4. However, when I plug the Ant 60 wire antenna (that came with the radio) into AM External Antenna port I lose the signal entirely. Moreover, it does not appear I can get any signal the Ant 60 regardless of the band/frequency.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

The 909X is pretty similar to the 909 / DX398, which I own.

If the 909X's external antenna jack is wired similarly to the external antenna jack on the 909 (and it probably is), when you plug an external antenna into the radio, it switches off the internal loopstick.

The rest of the time (nothing plugged into the external antenna jack) the radio gets the MW/AM band signal off its internal loopstick antenna.

You are going to get much more gain on the AM band from the 909X's internal loopstick than you will off a short wire antenna like the one I'm sure came with the radio (I haven't seen an Ant 60, but unless it's over 100 ft. long, it won't be much use on the AM band).

This is why you are getting more signal without the external antenna plugged in: it's just not as efficient an antenna at the long wavelengths required for MW reception -- the radio's internal loopstick is designed to work well on MW.

If you want to DX the AM band with your 909X, either use the internal loopstick (i.e., no external antenna), or get an external loop, like the Select-A-Tenna or Eton AN-100 -- a tunable loop you sit next to the radio, which boosts the signals that way.

An external wire will do you no good on the AM band / MW band unless it's at least 100-150 ft. or more, because of the resonant wavelengths required.

I don't know why you would have trouble hearing SW with your external antenna, unless it's propagation. It's possible there is something haywire with the external antenna jack -- but Sangean has a pretty good rep for quality.

Gecko10

The 909X is pretty similar to the 909 / DX398, which I own.

If the 909X's external antenna jack is wired similarly to the external antenna jack on the 909 (and it probably is), when you plug an external antenna into the radio, it switches off the internal loopstick.

The rest of the time (nothing plugged into the external antenna jack) the radio gets the MW/AM band signal off its internal loopstick antenna.

Found this in the Yahoo user group and it seems to work

Thanks

Contrary to popular belief the antenna jack is really a stereo plug. with the tip being for SW and the ring for MW.
The problem you have is that when you insert a mono plug, it shorts out the MW signal. There are a couple of solutions for this. On is to buy a stereo plug with RCA connectors. The other is to buy a Stereo male to mono female plug. This will keep the MW section from being shorted out when you want to use an external antenna for MW.

Boombox

True -- it's the stereo input jack that switches the MW loopstick out of the circuit.

It's that way on a few other Sangean digital portables, too (including the Sangean ATS505 / RS 200629 "World Receiver, discussed in other areas of this board).

Good luck experimenting with it and good DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.