for Tryton/SPPD feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

newspaper_man

curious why this was discontinued. I know there was talk about the legality of providing the "sub channels" but didn't think there were issues with the main dispatch channels. for what I do, this feed has been extremely helpful. can someone shed some light please?

Thanks

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Tryton will surely chime in... but my understanding is that multiple local law enforcement agencies have asked feeds to be discontinued due to officer safety concerns.

Whether or not that concern is legitimate or not, some providers have pulled their feeds. I would imagine no one wants to be that guy referenced when an agency decides to enable encryption.

newspaper_man

that's a shame. in my opinion if you are a bad guy and want to find a cop its pretty darn easy. I believe that allowing the public access is better and until I can save up for my own scanner this is the best way to follow and provide tips. it also allows folks like me and the actual news media to check to see if what agencies claim is true. case in point is the car into house the other morning in st pete. pd says he wasn't being pursued but no way to know since I normally would have been able to listen and now cant.

guess I will ramp up my savings though now. sigh

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
In the past few years there's been a few people being asked by HCSO/TampaPD/Pinellas/Clearwater and surrounding counties to turn off the live feeds due to Officers safety in the area and the calls their being placed out on.

mitbr

I used to run the Clearwater feed and discontinued at the request of CPD. Then Tryton ran the feed for awhile and now has chosen to discontinue it along with the St Pete feed.
I applaud him for this. Thanks Tryton.

To the OP its better with your own scanner anyway because you can control what you hear and the good stuff is on tac anyways.
Tim

newspaper_man

Can you expand on why this is a good idea? Obviously there is pros and cons but it seems you went out of your way to applaud him for discontinuing it. I am a firm believer in being able to verify what PD units claim is quite important and of course the obvious of knowing what's going on.

Having your own scanner is fine and dandy if you have the funds to do that. Haha

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Having your own scanner is fine and dandy if you have the funds to do that. Haha

But at least it's a possibility for some people. Local public safety agencies can easily secure their transmissions like many others have done in this state already... ending the issue entirely. If feeds are a concern to law enforcement, feed providers would be fools to continue running them as it may ruin scanning for everyone else.

If you're in the media industry, ask your colleagues in Jacksonville and Orlando how great scanning law enforcement is...

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
But at least it's a possibility for some people. Local public safety agencies can easily secure their transmissions like many others have done in this state already... ending the issue entirely. If feeds are a concern to law enforcement, feed providers would be fools to continue running them as it may ruin scanning for everyone else.

If you're in the media industry, ask your colleagues in Jacksonville and Orlando how great scanning law enforcement is...

2 years ago St Aug pd and St Johns Co SO went to encryption.

TDR-94

This hobby unfortunately is a double edged sword.

The internet allowed for more information to be easily shared about how to monitor as well as provided services that allowed anyone to monitor law enforcement traffic than any agency ever wanted made available. They don't want the streamers,scanner users or the media to make the decisions on what information over their channels gets released to other individuals or the general public.

They're taking back control of what can be monitored and who can monitor it.

Last edited:

miccona

well said and i agree 100% i have my own scanner and listen to all the agencies i want no issues

I used to run the Clearwater feed and discontinued at the request of CPD. Then Tryton ran the feed for awhile and now has chosen to discontinue it along with the St Pete feed.
I applaud him for this. Thanks Tryton.

To the OP its better with your own scanner anyway because you can control what you hear and the good stuff is on tac anyways.
Tim

Tryton

Hi all. To the OP. I pulled the plug because I didn't want to be responsible for CPD,SPPD and LPD to go full encrypted. Not only that, but the feeds just sounded like ****. My location sucked for Clearwater anyways and had very low listener #'s to prove it.Looks like The Sheriffs office is now discontinued as well.

newspaper_man

thanks for all the info. I got wind of another radio shack closing and picked up a scanner off clearance. just was curious about it all. typical situation where government panics and screws everyone haha

Status
Not open for further replies.