Groton Area Feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I've just completed an update of my Groton Fire Department feed. Added the new Command channels (long overdue, my apologies) and moved to a new scanner which supports alpha tags (still a work in progress).

This got me thinking.. are there any feeds that listeners in the Groton area would like to have? I have the ability to add a few more feeds now after the upgrades I've been doing. No guarantees though I am just curious at this point.

MrAntiDigital

I would also like the New London Police and Fire.

They have a big event coming up called Sailfest in July. Plenty of activity goes on during that time.

Thank you.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
New London PD and FD are already covered on the Waterford feed (that is the system they are on). Am I missing something?

MrAntiDigital

Well, I can't speak for that other guy. "Georged4997", but I wasn't aware of that. I just saw the title of the thread "Groton Feed" and I've never listened to it. But I used to pick up New London Fire/Police when they were on ultra high. Of course now on digital, I can't.

So I just thought maybe adding New London. Wow, was that DUMB of me or what !!! I haven't had the need to listen to your feed as before. I can't believe how stupid of me to think like that.

I wonder if that "georged4997" realizes how dumb he is too ?

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
I never checked the feeds to see if I New London was on there. The reason being, I just spent
a bunch of money on a digital radio, Yagi antenna for 800, Also LMR 400 coax, With the antenna
5ft above a 2 1/2 story house , at 20 miles away. And I still cant pick up the digital crap. I tried rotating the antenna , used a map and compass. And now im getting a non directional antenna and putting
that up. But thanks for asking.

kmacinct

Just dont load a single feed up with a bunch of busy channels - will never be able to follow a breaking incident !!!

Thanks for hosting the feed !!!

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
Just dont load a single feed up with a bunch of busy channels - will never be able to follow a breaking incident !!!

Thanks for hosting the feed !!!

For better or worse, I don't expect to be adding much more than the rest of the FG channels to the current Groton feed. I'm working on fixing the alpha tags first though.

There was even a plan in my head at one point for a separate GFA feed, Sub Base FD feed, and Electric Boat FD feed. That said, there's not a ton of activity on the latter 2 so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

MrAntiDigital

Kmacinct is right. Thanks for posting the feed. Also, just don't put too many on as he says.

I never really had any need to listen to a feed for Groton or Waterford as I live close enough to monitor them. I also lived close enough to listen to New London Police and Fire when they were on the ultrahigh band of 453.275 and 453.90. They are the most active departments in Eastern, Ct. I was able to pick them up in my car and house with no trouble at that time.

Suddenly they go to this new digital radio system and even with a digital radio, I am not able to pick them up. I didn't get as elaborate as "georged4997" explains he did, but just the basics. Being able to monitor the busiest police and fire department in Eastern, Ct just flew out the window. I think it was around that point that I decided to change my user name here from "NFD2004" to "MrAntiDigital". I had lost other favorites as well. Including monitoring Providence Fire Department at my home 50 miles away before they went digital. A very busy department and another big loss for me.

So that's why I wasn't aware that you already had posted New London Fire or Police. I was picking up Groton fine on my home and car scanner with no need to listen to any local feed. At the time, I just "wrote off" New London as just another loss.

But now I know it's there. I'm sure I'll tune it in. So yes, let me say THANK YOU. Just don't assume that everybody is supposed to know whats going on about your feeds. Now that I know, I will spread the word.

And just before I go now, I want to tell everyone that New London was the reason for the user name change. From a well known, "NFD2004", to "MrAntiDigital". I hated to do it, but it had to be done. Now my biggest problem with that name is trying to spell it right.

Thanks "y10k....".

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
New London PD and FD are already covered on the Waterford feed (that is the system they are on). Am I missing something?

Actaully as you may already know there is a feed for the waterford system so no reason to add them on groton feed too,with everyone having a computer,a smartphone (i.e. Iphone ,samsung etc) and possible tablet or ipad with the scanner apps on the smartphone and ipad as i do,they can listen to your feed for the groton area depts on 1 device and the waterford system on the other device,i do it all the time when listening to multi feeds in different areas, i listen to your feed when i find out theres a fire in the area since i live in wolcott i cant get on my scanner unless i put a 500 foot antenna up, lol

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I've just completed an update of my Groton Fire Department feed. Added the new Command channels (long overdue, my apologies) and moved to a new scanner which supports alpha tags (still a work in progress).

This got me thinking.. are there any feeds that listeners in the Groton area would like to have? I have the ability to add a few more feeds now after the upgrades I've been doing. No guarantees though I am just curious at this point.

While I can easily hear Groton/New London/Waterford from my desk and kitchen... thank you!

Don't worry about skipping Navy FD and Electric Boat. They don't get much traffic and when they do, the good stuff ends up on GFA channels. Maybe add the L&M Medics into the GFA feed, since they are dispatched by both Station G and Station W. L&M is dispatched to all the really fun calls.

Groton is a bit of a pain in the @$$ to monitor quickly, with Groton Town, Groton City and the twice a day usage of Groton Long Point PD (OK, maybe they use their radio three times a day).

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
Just for clarification purposes, I do not run the Waterford feed. Only the Groton feed.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I think for now I am going to keep my feed 'fire only'. The other Groton area feed has the EMS stuff covered pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.