Callsign "Saber" on one of the Statewide channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafd55

Heard helicopter traffic on one of the statewide channels today with the callsigns Saber 1 and Saber 14. Any ideas?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Steinman Aviation uses the callsign Saber Express

Sabre is also a military call sign for a B1B unit out of Texas, the 4th Fighterwing out of NC, the 162nd Fighter Squadron out of Springfield OH, units from Tinker Air Force Base in OK, the 180th Fighter Group out of Toledo; Naval Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 47, 70th Fighter Squadron out of OH, 22nd Fighter Squadron out of Spangdahlem Germany and a helo unit out of Virginia. All these units fly through the airspace over New York at times, or rotate through bases in and around New York.

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
It was "Saber 1" and "Saber 1-8" communicating with local law enforcement on MRD (155.37)

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
155.37 is not MRD. It is Interagency Calling. Very well could be State Police conducting air ops looking for marijuana plants. they usually do this in early summertime. SABER could be the call sign for the task force. Too many variables to pinpoint who it could be.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
155.370 used to be called Statewide "MRD" for many years. That's how it was labeled in the consoles of three separate agencies I dispatched for. It is now called "NY LAW 1."
http://www.dhses.ny.gov/oiec/plans-policies-guidelines/documents/Guideline-NYLAW1.pdf
In western NYS, we always called it "IA High Band" (or Inter-Agency High Band) to distinguish from the old 39.46 IA that was still operational in the consoles of most dispatch centers. I'm sure they are supposed to use NY LAW 1 now, but old habits die hard.

Never heard the Saber callsign out there, either.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Main Radio Dispatch channels are known as "MRD" in my tri county area. 155.370 Is Labeled Law I/A or a similar variation depending on who programmed them.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
MRD is a term that came out of the old LEAA grants of the early to mid 70's. I put a lot of those systems in and the term is Mobile Radio District as documented in the LEAA documents of the day. 155.37 was always the VHF inter-agency common throughout all of Westchester. Even the agencies that went from Low band to UHF ( White Plains and Mt Vernon) had 155.37 in their consoles.
Westchester County Parkway Police the predecessor of Westchester County Police radio's line up was F-1 155.550 F-2 155.50 simplex, F-3 155.310 and F-4 155.370. I still have a 110w Wide Spaced TX Micor with those channel elements in it from an auction buy from 1980.

F-4 was sometimes used to talk to Tri-Town dispatch in New Jersey to run N.J. plates by selecting PL 4A on the old Micor system 90 heads.

mkirker

Not sure where this was heard but in the capital region Saber 16 and Saber 18 are the two UH-72 Lakota helicopters based at Albany Airport (142nd Aviation). Not sure they would use 155.370 but if tasked on a police mission then I would guess its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.