Wake & Durham County/Central NC Rail Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
So the tragic accident in Philly has piqued my interest in Rail Monitoring....here are the freqs I currently have programmed into my APX 7000 for Rail activity in the Central NC/Wake/Durham Counties area:

fznoAKL.jpg

Anyone have any additional VHF channels in use in this area or see any corrections I need to make above?

Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

reconrider8

The CSX A line North End Sub running from Richmond VA To Rocky Mount NC channels are as follows
Ch 32 160.590 Road 1
Ch 66 161.100 Road 2
Ch 94 161.520 CSX Dispatch
Ch 45 MOW (Maintenance of Way) 160.785

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The CSX A line North End Sub running from Richmond VA To Rocky Mount NC channels are as follows
Ch 32 160.590 Road 1
Ch 66 161.100 Road 2
Ch 94 161.520 CSX Dispatch
Ch 45 MOW (Maintenance of Way) 160.785

Thanks! I will add the additional freqs to my radio and see if I hear anything in Wake/Durham Cos.

Anyone else have any additional freqs or corrections?

Marshall KE4ZNR

ems902

Railroad Channels

Here is what I monitor In Greensboro, the Danville District for NSRR. It helps us get a jump on the rail incidents we respond to.

Channel 1 160.950 (Danville Dispatch and Pomona Tower)
Channel 2 160.830
Channel 3 160.245 (Pomona Yard)

KJ4YS

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, The CSX main line that runs from Southern Pines, north to Raleigh, also carries the Amtrak Silver Star (Trains 91,92). Primary frequency for Amtrak is 161.10. I rode the Silver Meteor from SOP to Philly and back about six months ago and monitored conversation from the head-end to conductor, as well as between head-end and dispatchers and other trains as they passed on the main line. This is a good source of information:

On Track On Line - Amtrak Radio Frequencies

Cheers,
Conig

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
161.490, yards on the NS mainline, south of tower CB at Rocky Mount.

Used for ancillary functions by workers who have to be in and move about and around the yard, who are NOT operating crew.

Hostlers, crew vans, shop crews moving locos, etc.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
So the tragic accident in Philly has piqued my interest in Rail Monitoring....here are the freqs I currently have programmed into my APX 7000 for Rail activity in the Central NC/Wake/Durham Counties area:

fznoAKL.jpg

Anyone have any additional VHF channels in use in this area or see any corrections I need to make above?

Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

There are no more VHF EOT's from what I understand, so you can probably delete that one.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Here is what I monitor In Greensboro, the Danville District for NSRR. It helps us get a jump on the rail incidents we respond to.

Channel 1 160.950 (Danville Dispatch and Pomona Tower)
Channel 2 160.830
Channel 3 160.245 (Pomona Yard)

Actually, "Channel 2" is 2-frequency simplex
160.83 dispatcher base
160.245 mobile
so those are paired and you have to flip between them to hear both sides of the conversation. I seriously doubt either of those is a yard channel. For my money yard channels are BORRRRRING.

The railroads are very traditional when it comes to radio assignments. The properties that used to be part of Seaboard Air Line use AAR66 which is 161.1 MHz for the road channel, including the line from Hamlet up through Raleigh. The ACL (Atlantic Coast Line) properties like the A-line use AAR32 which is 160.59 MHz for the road channel. The former Southern Ry properties almost universally use 160.95 MHz which makes it easy to follow. The dispatcher channels are typically assigned by railroad subdivision. It's one of those things that you "just have to know".

This can really take you down the rabbit hole if you pursue it because there's so much to learn about railroads.

The Federal Railway Administration has a site that shows you what lines run where, and usually it's even accurate.

I threw together a CSX Dispatcher Code Table when they established regional dispatch centers around their system instead of putting all their eggs in one basket in Jacksonville, Florida.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Actually, "Channel 2" is 2-frequency simplex
160.83 dispatcher base
160.245 mobile
so those are paired and you have to flip between them to hear both sides of the conversation. I seriously doubt either of those is a yard channel. For my money yard channels are BORRRRRING.

The railroads are very traditional when it comes to radio assignments. The properties that used to be part of Seaboard Air Line use AAR66 which is 161.1 MHz for the road channel, including the line from Hamlet up through Raleigh. The ACL (Atlantic Coast Line) properties like the A-line use AAR32 which is 160.59 MHz for the road channel. The former Southern Ry properties almost universally use 160.95 MHz which makes it easy to follow. The dispatcher channels are typically assigned by railroad subdivision. It's one of those things that you "just have to know".

This can really take you down the rabbit hole if you pursue it because there's so much to learn about railroads.

The Federal Railway Administration has a site that shows you what lines run where, and usually it's even accurate.

I threw together a CSX Dispatcher Code Table when they established regional dispatch centers around their system instead of putting all their eggs in one basket in Jacksonville, Florida.

Thanks for the info Bote!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.