Pro-197 Wont Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlcas

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-197 and I purchased the cable and software to program it.

Everything seems to have installed correctly, I can see the com port and everything with the USB cable.

But when I run the software it just sits there when I tell it to download or communicate with the scanner.

Do I have to put the scanner in any type of mode to allow this to work?

I have tried it on 2 different PC's just to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

Carlcas

Welcome to the forums. No offense intended, but you do have the scanner turned on, right? What cable are you using? A real Radio Shack (20-546) cable or third party? Also, the RS cable comes with a stereo-to-mono headphone adapter. Do not use the adapter when programming.

"Do I have to put the scanner in any type of mode to allow this to work?"

No. Just have the scanner on and cable connected. The software will communicate automatically when you initiate a download/upload (read from / write to) operation. At least it has always been that way for me, Windows 7 & 8.1, PSREdit500 and WIN500.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have sometimes had this happen and the fix has been to be sure the cable connection to the radio fully seated. When its happened I find, the connector needs to be farther pushed in about, oh 1/16 inch or so.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Is your cable plugged into a USB hub or the computer itself? Hubs can sometimes cause problems. The cable for my 197 is connected directly to a USB port on the back the the computer, and I've never had a problem.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I know it is also a silly thing to say, but is the scanner end of the cable plugged into the PC/IF jack? Many have this problem because they've plugged into the headphone jack.

Carlcas

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the slow reply guys. I did figure it out. And to save any dignity that I have...Im not telling you how I fixed it =)

Who am I kidding? I have no Dignity! :)

gmclam nailed it. Like a dummy I was plugging it into the headphone jack, not the PC/IF Jack =)

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!

Redneck0410

Sorry for the slow reply guys. I did figure it out. And to save any dignity that I have...Im not telling you how I fixed it =)

Who am I kidding? I have no Dignity! :)

gmclam nailed it. Like a dummy I was plugging it into the headphone jack, not the PC/IF Jack =)

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!

Trust me, buddy. You definitely ain't the first, nor will you be the last to make that mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.