Why do yall scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickman1313

Premium Subscriber
New to scanning and just curious what everyones reasons are for doing it? work? hobby? just wanna hear some crazy stuff?

I am getting into it because I like to know whats going on around me and for just general emergency situations want to know whats going on I guess.

any tips or tricks of the trade yall want to share?

what are your most interesting things to listen to? just the police or is there something else cool I don't really know about yet?

R

retiredmich

I listen to my scanner to hear FIRST hand of what's going on in my City & County, Also you get the FIRST Weather Alerts for any bad Weather & activation for all Weather Spotters & you will hear FIRST hand of any Tornado sightings be for the sirens go off, & it's fun to listen to, & I can take my scanner with me in my car / truck, comes in real handy traveling. Happy Scanning !

mciupa

Database Admin
New to scanning and just curious what everyones reasons are for doing it?

Traffic conditions

I wish

Yup
just wanna hear some crazy stuff?

Always

I am getting into it because I like to know whats going on around me and for just general emergency situations want to know whats going on I guess.

never go to sleep, you may miss something

what are your most interesting things to listen to? just the police or is there something else cool I don't really know about yet?

What's cooler than police?

frazpo

Scanner monitoring is unpredictable. Who knows if the next national news story isn't going to be in your city or neighborhood. Great for severe weather, especially if you live in the midwest. Monitoring storm spotters and EOC's are a good source of real time storm reports.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber

What's cooler than police?

+1
But if you live near a major airport, ATC is pretty cool also!

f2shooter

I started listening to a scanner when I got into the news business at age 16-17. That's where the media gets a lot of info and it has stuck with me ever since. I have scanners all over the house and at least one or two run 24/7. One of them is in search mode at all times. I find I get a lot of public safety information quickly and sometimes I'm glad to have it when the action is close to home. I also enjoy keeping up with the aviation traffic, 2 meter ham traffic. I have all the FRS and GMRS frequencies programmed in, you never know what will pop up or where. There is a lot of information flying around out there.

Otis

DJ11DLN

Most or maybe all of the above, plus, well, I'm a nosy (descriptive deleted). I like knowing what's going on around the area, and probably 90+% of the more interesting stuff I hear never seems to make the news.

Also sometimes I get a heads-up that my Department is about to get a run...it's amazing how long some Dispatch Centers (ours is one, but I hear others do the same) will sometimes sit on a request for Fire/First Responders/Whatever before they drop tones. A number of times I've literally driven the 4 miles to the FH and been sitting in the idling rig on the apron before they finally got 'round to it.:roll:

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
I'm a Trucker and it helps me avoid traffic. Listening to the Highway Patrol really helps me know when there's about to be a traffic problem instead of when there has been one like everyone else. Listening to state DOTs is really helpful in knowing road conditions and when a highway is about to be closed or reopened due to snow or something similar.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I like to hear if something is about to impact me, those I care about, or going to generate a run for one of my public safety involvements. (Regardless if it is weather, HazMat, traffic, etc...)

I do get to hear some entertaining things along the way, but some sad or disturbing things are heard, too.

While my listening is a hobby, it ties in to my jobs, and helps there.

Sent via Tapatalk

dmg1969

It has been my hobby since before I was a teenager (mid 40s now). I listen to mainly police, fire and EMS. No real interest in much else. Not that it happens often, but it has helped me to not become stuck in traffic a few times.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I scan first and foremost for work as I am in charge of all emergency management issues that may involve our Campus. Weather, EMS, Police and traffic issues and so forth. Second, I just scan because I really enjoy it! It comes before TV and is my number one hobby. Have been involved in Radio, Amatuer and scanning since 1975. Things have sure changed over the years but it still remains as my favorite.

Mike

ron36

New to scanning and just curious what everyones reasons are for doing it? work? hobby? just wanna hear some crazy stuff?

i live not to far from water areas. not only police fire ems/ i scan 2 meter local hams during bad weather....Noaa Nws...i monitor med vacs.and ..Marine 16. lots info around. vdot smart traffic is another one know when interstate backed up or wrecks... some scanner even do pick up cb listen on the neighbors.. 27 mhz. truckers or the local mouse trap !

tomhrrs69

Most or maybe all of the above, plus, well, I'm a nosy (descriptive deleted). I like knowing what's going on around the area, and probably 90+% of the more interesting stuff I hear never seems to make the news.

Also sometimes I get a heads-up that my Department is about to get a run...it's amazing how long some Dispatch Centers (ours is one, but I hear others do the same) will sometimes sit on a request for Fire/First Responders/Whatever before they drop tones. A number of times I've literally driven the 4 miles to the FH and been sitting in the idling rig on the apron before they finally got 'round to it.:roll:

That is the same with me. Couple of months ago, i was listening to multiple alarm fire in another county when I heard Operations radio back to Command that the department i'm in has a ladder truck and should activate us. I just pulled into the station when our tones went off...safe to say, I made the truck, lol.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Just for fun right now, although it was part of my job a few years back when I was a full time stringer. I had 11 scanners all going at once - that was enough to drive my ex crazy. These days I just monitor one scanner - maybe 2 if something big is going on. I still miss the thrill of the chase, but what I'm doing now is far more stable and pays better.

-AZ

wbswetnam

I've been a 'scanner nut' since my grandfather gave a me his Bearcat III crystal scanner back when I was in high school. I was hooked! I'm in my early 50s now and I'm sure I've had nearly 30 scanners since then (not all at once though). I enjoy listening in to police and fire and just knowing what's going on in the surrounding area as it happens.

KB7MIB

My dad joined a VFC as a fire police officer (crowd and traffic control, scene security) in PA when I was 7 years old. I'm 44 now, and have been listening to a scanner all these years. i like knowing what is going on. It can be exciting. It can be informative. It can be head shaking in the "WTH?" way, and in the sad way. It can also be amusing.

I have an Amateur license, and am a Skywarn spotter. (In the Phoenix area, our primary repeater is in the 70cm band, and our backup is on 2m. Most of the rest of the state uses 2m.)

I also have a GMRS license. I have CB, MURS, FRS, eXRS and 49 MHz radios, as well as a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE for SWL.

John
Peoria, AZ

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Work. Monitoring the systems I run. I've got stuff on 800MHz, UHF and VHF. I could run 3 separate transceivers, but just letting my old scanner scan is good enough.

That's one of the benefits. I'm usually listening while in my office at work. After work though, radios off, I've got to have a break.

Antennas, antennas, antennas. If you don't have a good antenna system, you're missing out.
Get to know how to use the FCC license search tools. You can find some interesting stuff that way.

Fire and Police is always interesting. I work for a university, so the antics of the students are sometimes amusing, sometimes sad, sometimes tragic.
Honestly, though, the non-public safety stuff can be pretty interesting too. Finding public works frequencies can reveal some entertaining stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.