City of Dallas accepting P25 Ph II system bids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
I am not surprised they are looking in to again.

I know when I was on Department there was no room for system growth.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
minimum of 12 towers. LOL
Section A.1.4 Objectives. audio quality. HA HA.. oh you want audio quality, keep it analog.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i lived in Dallas from 1981-1988 when DPD was UHF and DFD was VHF was a great system.
DPD, outside of some specialized departments (deployment & the helicopter section for example) is still UHF. The fire department, now known as Dallas Fire Rescue, is also using Uhf.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
This has been in the works for a couple of years. RCC wrote the RFP. Dallas PD/FD and DSO will be the primary users.

Phase II actually sounds pretty good when everything is optimized properly. There is zero comparison between a scanner and a system radio with properly adjusted audio settings.

ckqualls

Premium Subscriber
Same 12 channel UHF system, but with the addition of South Central station (on channel 7), there are 7 patrol channels, one SWAT channel, a channel for Traffic, leaving three channels for talk & special events. System has great coverage, but there is no room for growth.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
DSO? Really they would move to P25 P2...after all these years on VHF?

Time for a P2 radio is approaching....

nd5y

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Same 12 channel UHF system, but with the addition of South Central station (on channel 7), there are 7 patrol channels, one SWAT channel, a channel for Traffic, leaving three channels for talk & special events. System has great coverage, but there is no room for growth.

Actually, there are three 453 MHz frequencies sitting around doing nothing and since Water/Sewer has moved over to the P25 system, this leaves five 454 MHz channels with little or no traffic. So there are eight eligible UHF channels that could be pressed into service in the UHF band. The UHF system does have great coverage and some of the DWU channels had citywide coverage.

They could also do what DC did and have a UHF trunked layer as well as a 700/800 MHz layer.

Russell

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
With all the frequencies sitting around doing nothing and 12 already in being used PD , I could see them turn the whole system in UHF trunked system.

You could add DSO and DFD channel to mix.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
I have to say I was really surprised to learn Dallas PD was working with a radio system that consisted of a dozen frequencies or so , actually I was shocked. I happened to tune in during yesterday's shooting at DPD HDQ and monitored for an hour or so.
So, I have to ask why is DPD using a 50 year old radio system?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
To clarify, Dallas Police primary patrol and some other front line units use the 12 UHF frequency pairs. To say the system is 50 years old simply because some of the frequencies have been in use that long is not really accurate. Using the criteria that the age of the frequencies in use determines the age of the system means many recent system upgrades, including P25 upgrades, simply wouldn't count if the same freqs were used.

The current UHF system has been upgraded many times most recently the narrow-band mandate. Dallas Police are actually spread across three systems:the UHF conventional, an 800 MHz type II and a 700 MHz P25. Four systems if you count the MDT channels. All mobile and portable radios were recently replaced with dual band units and programmed on all three systems, as well as, regional systems. I believe they are also programmed with interop and 700 MHz itinerant channels.

The RFP is to finish out the 700 MHz P25 system then migrate the 800 MHz system into it. One option would be migrate the UHF portion and built out as a UHF trunked layer. But, I also have no real problem with using as it is for other reasons, Perhaps adding additional UHF pairs. I would also say put two radios in each mobile.

They really could have used an Ops 1, Ops 2, and Ops 3, etc. last night. It was harrowing listening.

Russell

Last edited:

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
To clarify, Dallas Police primary patrol and some other front line units use the 12 UHF frequency pairs. To say the system is 50 years old simply because some of the frequencies have been in use that long is not really accurate. Using the criteria that the age of the frequencies in use determines the age of the system means many recent system upgrades, including P25 upgrades, simply wouldn't count if the same freqs were used.

The current UHF system has been upgraded many times most recently the narrow-band mandate. Dallas Police are actually spread across three systems:the UHF conventional, an 800 MHz type II and a 700 MHz P25. Four systems if you count the MDT channels. All mobile and portable radios were recently replaced with dual band units and programmed on all three systems, as well as, regional systems. I believe they are also programmed with interop and 700 MHz itinerant channels.

The RFP is to finish out the 700 MHz P25 system then migrate the 800 MHz system into it. One option would be migrate the UHF portion and built out as a UHF trunked layer. But, I also have no real problem with using as it is for other reasons, Perhaps adding additional UHF pairs. I would also say put two radios in each mobile.

They really could have used an Ops 1, Ops 2, and Ops 3, etc. last night. It was harrowing listening.

Russell

Thank You Russ, I was thinking there had to be more to the system than what I was monitoring and observing on the feed.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Those are APX7000XEs. Great firefighter radio. The PDF specifically mentions interop with Plano, so yes, I'd wager they're UHF/7/800 and optioned for P25 trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.