Illinois Law 625 ILCS 5/ 12-215

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to the Illinois General Assembly, and the Illinois Secretary of State (IL doesn't have a DMV), I am now required to prominently post these four magnetic signs on my POV. It used to be that my letter as an authorized sales rep from one of the major emergency lighting vendors was sufficient, so unless I want "to cover everything up," or the alternative, "remove all my lighting," I am faced with this decision. Signs cost me $40 for all four, so I'm not about to change them with lettering the same shade as the silver color of the car.

(Text of Section from P.A. 98-873)

Sec. 12-215. Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:

(f) Nothing in this Section shall prohibit a manufacturer of oscillating, rotating or flashing lights or his representative or authorized vendor from temporarily mounting such lights on a vehicle for demonstration purposes only. If the lights are not covered while the vehicle is operated upon a highway, the vehicle shall display signage indicating that the vehicle is out of service or not an emergency vehicle. The signage shall be displayed on all sides of the vehicle in letters at least 2 inches tall and one-half inch wide. A vehicle authorized to have oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights mounted for demonstration purposes may not activate the lights while the vehicle is operated upon a highway.

Attachments

• IMG_8115_c.jpg
    IMG_8115_c.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_8116.jpg
    IMG_8116.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_8117.jpg
    IMG_8117.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_8118.jpg
    IMG_8118.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 939

DisasterGuy

So prior to this such installations were illegal. Someone pushed the issue and a legal path to such an installation was established to ensure that the public doesn't mistake a sales guy for a cop. Honestly it sounds pretty fair to me. I know most of the demo vehicles I have encountered typically have the manufacturer name and logo covering them and the words demonstration vehicle or similar.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
That's a buzz kill. Hope there will be no similar law appled to vehicles with external antennas.

One of my sons lived for a short time in Florida. He drove a 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI). He was stopped by the police, and ordered to remove the "Police Interceptor" logo from the back of the vehicle, or cover it up.

This is the model of the car, "Police Interceptor," but Florida has provisions that private and non-law enforcement vehicle entities cannot have the word "police" anywhere displayed on the car.

Hence, he put black tape over the "police" and it just said "interceptor."

What about fire chief's and others in municipal, state, county, etc., fire departments, public works, building inspectors that also utilize the Ford "Police Interceptor" model? I wonder if THEY are ordered to cover up or remove the word "police?"

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Just curious... Why did you place the sign on the deck of the trunk, rather than on the 'face' where it could be seen by drivers behind you ?

Because it won't sit flat on the rear; partially hangs over the top, and I don't want a rush of wind or normal driving to blow a $10 sign off the vehicle.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
K9WSS, how about a new interior shot of your set up? I went to your shack photos and they're all of your home shack! Thanks.

Mike

15plus1

Because it won't sit flat on the rear; partially hangs over the top, and I don't want a rush of wind or normal driving to blow a $10 sign off the vehicle.

Not looking for a 'whacker' type argument or discussion here...But it looks like the size of those signs could fit on the face of the trunk. If not, maybe a slight trimming ? Or at least the 2 inches mandated by the law would fit ..
Why a civilian driving a police type car with lights in or on it, that could be easily be mistaken for a police car, would not want to remove all doubt that they are a civilian, is beyond me ..

Edit... After reading the law, as provided in your post, " The signage shall be displayed on all sides of the vehicle" ... All sides being, at least, the front, back, sides and roof..
I would 'assume' that would include rear of the trunk..

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

I am kind of with 15plus1 when it comes to not being mistaken. My work truck is loaded with lights, 7 antennas, tons of radios, etc. My POV on the other hand has a single cheap cigar lighter powered rotating light and portable radio in the trunk in the rare event I could find myself in a position of being put in it and needing to go straight to the scene without going home to switch vehicles. The last thing I want when I'm off is for someone to know what I do or feel obligated to stop at a wreck or similar incident.

ducksoup65

Premium Subscriber
So I am curious how this works with color of light. With so many lights today (LED), you wouldn't have a clue what color they are until they are switched on. So an exposed light on the rear deck of a vehicle or perhaps a full bar on the roof of an otherwise unmarked vehicle - could be red/blue - could be amber.

How does they law clarify this?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
The part which states "lighted or unlighted" makes no difference what color they are. Unless you fall under several categories (including amber lighting) you must have authority to have them. Red/Blue are no brainers, as far as I'm concerned.

FCVPI99

That's a buzz kill. Hope there will be no similar law appled to vehicles with external antennas.

totally not a buzz kill they should have done that long long time ago

all cars have external antennas so i doubt they can do anything about that

Status
Not open for further replies.