Siren and an iPod Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Just wondering if anyone is using the Siren app on an iPod Touch? If so, how well does it work (if it even works on a touch at all)?

I have an iPad, but the response of the touch screen is sketchy at best, so I may not always be able to select what I want, when I want. My brother says he will lend me his Touch that he's not currently using if I want to use it for Siren. Told him I'd get back to him.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

:)

Voyager

If you have that offer, just try it. It's free. That way you can answer your questions through experience.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

It will be a few days before I can get it. That's why I was asking for people's experiences with Siren and an iPod Touch.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

You need the latest iTouch with the proper IOS.

He says it's a 5th generation touch. According to Apple, that's the latest version, so I should be good to go in that aspect. Updating the OS, if needed, should be a breeze. I'll find out Thursday, I guess.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I have an iPad, but the response of the touch screen is sketchy at best, so I may not always be able to select what I want, when I want.

When you say the response is 'sketchy', do you mean it's sketchy in general, or sketchy when using Siren? The app is kind of tricky to use due to the video display updating in real-time, while the audio lags behind the video by two or three seconds. Often when I hear something I want to hold on it's already too late, as the scanner has moved on by the time I can hit hold. Which means I'm now holding on something I didn't intend to hold on. It's just the way it works, and from what I gather the audio will never come through in real-time.

Voyager

There is no way to instantly digitize, transport, and undigitize the audio. That's a fact of all audio transmission over digital media. At best, you can reduce the latency, but you will reach a point when the audio gets broken up.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you have 2 TV's in you home but both on the same channel and you will hear one TV then the other sounds like an echo. If you have an online scanner you will hear a slight delay in the audio that is normal. If you have 2 XM radios and you put them on the same channel there will be a slight delay in one of them that is just life listen with your scanner or remote but not both.

Voyager

Or put up with the echo. I often have at least two echoes monitoring things, as different scanners process digital audio at different rates.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

When you say the response is 'sketchy', do you mean it's sketchy in general, or sketchy when using Siren? The app is kind of tricky to use due to the video display updating in real-time, while the audio lags behind the video by two or three seconds. Often when I hear something I want to hold on it's already too late, as the scanner has moved on by the time I can hit hold. Which means I'm now holding on something I didn't intend to hold on. It's just the way it works, and from what I gather the audio will never come through in real-time.

Sketchy in general. Sometimes it takes a tap or five for the touch or swipe to register (that's what you get for buying used from ebay). That's why I haven't installed Siren on it.

trido

Premium Subscriber
have latest ipod touch works fine equal to my iphone6.Except audio weaker vol.Needs more vol for me .

But scanning and all seems fine.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

have latest ipod touch works fine equal to my iphone6.Except audio weaker vol.Needs more vol for me .

But scanning and all seems fine.

Okay, that sounds good. Looking forward to trying it out in a few days.

Thanks for the input.

scanboyca

Is that right? The audio and the metadata (system/dept/channel tag etc.) can be out of sync by 2 - 3 seconds on the Siren app? That seems excessive.

I can understand why there would be an overall lag in the audio/data from scanner to the Siren app but I would hope that the audio and the data displayed by Siren would be much better synchronized.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Is that right?I can understand why there would be an overall lag in the audio/data from scanner to the Siren app but I would hope that the audio and the data displayed by Siren would be much better synchronized.

Yup, two to three second delay for the audio. It's a bit annoying but you get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.