• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"Nothing but the best" - at any cost to the taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

Well if you were given a blank check and were told to buy anything you want with it no strings attached what would you do? sarcasm off

Until we make our elected officials accountable for the money they spend it will continue to happen.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Makes one wonder when "No one was ever fired for buying Motorola" will be replaced in daily use by "You can always buy better but you will never pay more."

Its only 'free' taxpayer money.

12dbsinad

In the article it says 95 percent coverage. Now, is this 95 percent mobile radio coverage or 95 percent portable radio coverage? And I would assume this is outdoor coverage. All these little Monday details make a difference for the end user.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
In the article it says 95 percent coverage. Now, is this 95 percent mobile radio coverage or 95 percent portable radio coverage? And I would assume this is outdoor coverage. All these little Monday details make a difference for the end user.

So many systems have such poorly worded RFP's that are cut/pasted from Google searches by ID10T government mules who just don't care. Dealing with "walkie-talkie" problems is not interesting. They want it over with and "fast tracked" so it's off their calendar.

Oh they don't work? "I thought 95 percent was ok, that's what xxxx bought and it works fine there" No problem, put in a change order and find the money or cut something else and it will all be okay.

the problem isn't anymore the vendor than it is the customer. Fact is governments are run by corrupt "popular kids" in high school not the "nerdy outcasts" and this is what you get. In the words of the late George Carlin:

It's a club- and you and I ain't in it.

So a few million here, a few there. No matter, nevermind. No one cares, how much airtime does government waste get on corporate news? People want to hear what the Kardashian's are up to, or who we are blowing up to "fight terrorists".

Motorola is no angel, but they are hardly the only perpetrator. They are just a big rat who knows how to get the biggest chunk of the cheddar.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well said. Writing a proper RFP is important. Not letting your prospective/preferred vendor provide the RFP is more important.
Motorola providing the consultant is a bad plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.