Upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commbud

UPMan, I am planning to purchase a 536. I saw a list someplace of upgrades you have requested for this scanner. My plans to purchase is sometime this summer. My concern is should I purchase relatively soon or should I wait until early fall to possibly get some of the upgrades, or, if I purchase now should my scanner accept all of the upgrades? Will the upgrades be available as free downloads from Uniden? Thank you for your help.

Commbud

BCD536HP Upgrade question

I addressed this question to UPMan but not getting an answer. I will appreciate an answer from any of the knowledgeable users on this great site. My purchase has to be rightthe first time so I need to know what I am looking at for upgrades. Thank you all.

marksmith

There are issues reported by many with this radio that Uniden has not yet acknowledged. IF you have made up your mind to get one, I would make it as late as possible, maybe next year. It's hard to tell when some of the issues will be addressed when they have not yet been acknowledged yet. I have a 536 and I have it pretty much just sitting now because the screen has become so dim I can hardly read it. I am still waiting to find out if anybody is even working on the problem. A lot of people are. I suppose we are waiting for them to go out of warranty before Uniden announces a solution. That would be OK with me, but so far Uniden is saying nothing. So if I were you, I would not rush into this purchase. Nice radio if I could read it.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Voyager

The LCD backlight is the only issue Uniden hasn't acknowledged AFAIK.

BTW, in a recent poll I think about 75% of the respondents said even with the issues they would purchase again.

safetyobc

I've had mine since they come out and don't have any issues with the backlight. It is a great radio with all the features you get.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with safetyobc. The only issue I had with my two 536's is the headphone jack, which was fixed via recall, with extending the warranty. I have not noticed the backlight dimming problem.

I'm a very satisfied customer and would not hesitate to buy more 536's right now if I had a need for them.

Commbud

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I plan to purchase and hope to before fall this year. Just wanting some input from those of you with personal experience. UPMan has a list of things he hopes to get scheduled for repair of these units. I was hoping he might comment as to any timeframe for those repairs. I am thinking extended warranty may be a consideration...Thanks again for your help...
Dale.....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
UPMan has a list of things he hopes to get scheduled for repair of these units. I was hoping he might comment as to any timeframe for those repairs.

Upman hardly, if ever, comments on timeframes. He'd rather avoid making a promise that can't be kept due to circumstances beyond his control.

Voyager

... especially since so many have beaten him over the head on missing past estimates.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP The Best!

I can't say enough about the X36HP scanners. I have three 536's. It was a challenge for me to accept the programming using a PC. After all, I'm not exactly what you might refer to as a computer wiz, but I managed to get by with the help of the Radio Reference community, bless them all. For me, now it's a piece of cake.

The ease of programming, versatility and creative writing you put into the program for your listening pleasure. The large LCD screen, alert lights and countless options to mold the scanner like no other I've seen. The Siren App. just amazing, is the ultimate in monitoring, yes we waited for the introduction and it finally arrived, a quick firmware update, and your up and running. Again, no other manufacturer has achieved this accomplishment to my knowledge.

You may read controversy and bad reviews from some, it's hard to please everyone, but personally speaking, it's the best!

Commbud

Once again, thank you all for the assistance, you are the best!!! I totally agree about the UPMan comment but my question wasnt when but IF the unit I purchase would take all of the upgrades. UPMan, from what I read, has to get approval for the upgrades. Thank you for your assistance.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As we have announced no upgrades, there is nothing I can really say except that historically when we issue an update for a model, it can be applied to any unit bearing that model # (i.e. production date didn't matter).

Commbud

Thank you UPMan, I greatly appreciate your input as well as all that helped me. My concern, as I have siad, was not a timeframe, just the ability to take advantage of any upgreades. This unit may be a great fathers day gift to myself. My wife said I could....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.