AOR AR-DV1 Firmware Upgrade Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Okay, list your "Christmas List" wishes for new firmware upgrade features....

I'll start with:
- NXDN 12.5 kHz support
- Elimination of DMR End Code noise
- NXDN RAN Code Decoding / Programming
- DMR Color Code & Slot Decoding/Programming
- P25 NAC Decoding
- P25 Phase I and Phase II
- TGRP ID Display for DMR, NXDN and P25
- Trunking support for NXDN4800, NXDN9600
- Trunking support for ICOM IDAS
- Trunking support for DMR/Mototrbo
- Trunking support for P25 Phase I and II

- And a handheld version that eliminates all HF and basically makes this a all-mode digital scanner....

Others feel free to post....

Voyager

MotoTRBO trunking won't happen without a license from Motorola, as it's proprietary.

Voyager

No, I believe the copyright/patent applies to transceiver or receiver (or anything else).

prc117f

MotoTRBO trunking won't happen without a license from Motorola, as it's proprietary.

Like edacs and smartnet were proprietary. If you can reverse engineer the protocols without using any Motorola equipment via clean room engineering you are in the clear.

Voyager

Well, there were holes in the patent for the trunking (several in fact). Those were also analog formats so once you got to the correct frequency it was a non-issue. Digital formats are much more difficult for which to find loopholes. Not saying it can't be done - just that it's not remotely like the EDACS/Smartnet finds. BUT, the voice audio IS nothing more than standard DMR, so I suppose it might be possible to find a loophole for the trunking. Let's hope you're right.

tom01

As we don't have the DV1 released yet in the United Kingdom or Europe to August or later, I would like to see the DMR data issue resolved at the end of conversations, and if possible be capable of receiving TETRA as there are no P25 users or system here.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Encryption is optional on Tetra but all public safety in EU is encrypted. As far as I know DV1 will not be released in EU.
Back to the topic, an attenuator would also be nice...

Gommert

tom01

Encryption is optional on Tetra but all public safety in EU is encrypted. As far as I know DV1 will not be released in EU.
Back to the topic, an attenuator would also be nice...

Gommert

DV1 to be released August in EU. That's what AOR told me

Minus1

…UK… there are no P25 users or system here.
Yes there are, USAF bases use P25 (Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Croughton, Molesworth, Fairford certainly, and I suspect Welford and one or two other places) so does the NSA base at RAF Menwith Hill.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Tried to listen to some radio tonight with the DV1. Am Radio no problem. Shortwave AM Radio No problem. FM Radio problem. No way to make it Wide FM. No WFM in modes. So in the United States the FM band will be no good unless AOR does an update.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
BamaScan,
If you have 1505c firmware, press F (function) the MODE. While in FM mode, you will get the IF BW menu. You can adjust FM bandwidth from 6, 15, 30, 100, to 200 Khz. My wide FM quality is actually very good on the radio. Been listening to FM oldies station for a few minutes since just saw your post, and it works fine.
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Just put an old MFJ-956 tuner in the antenna input line on the AR-DV1, and with some preselection, this wideband receiver is actually pretty impressive on MW, SW, and ham bands. Now able to remove my AM high-pass filter, and tune to within 10-20 Khz of my powerhouse KFI 50 KW AM station with antenna 2 miles away and have no overload at all. Boy, if they could add a simple preselector, would do wonders for this radio. I don't think there is much preselection within the radio. But boy, this simple MFJ antenna tuner really makes this an actually pretty hot receiver, at least below 15 Mhz, where I am listening right now.
As mentioned in above post, Wideband FM sounds great, pretty good sensitivity. Actually looking forward to what the new firmware will add.
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I don't expect many of you care about the CW performance of the AR-DV1, but being an old CW DX guy, that is one of things I check on any radio. Listening on 40 meter CW with 200 hz filter. Excellent quality and good drop off in signal right at filter edges. I am spoiled with 10 and 20 hz filtering on Perseus and ELAD FDM-S2, but for a wideband receiver, this is pretty good.
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
My last comment for the weekend. Some of you may wonder why I am focusing on HF, CW, broadcast FM performance etc. I have already commented on the fact that the P25 and NXDN quality is reasonable. However, we all know that to assess VHF and UHF performance in detail, we need to have these radios in scanner or search mode.
That, at least with the radio I have, is a real limiting factor. The search and scan speeds are incredibly slow. To search the 483.000 to 485.000 Mhz range, where we have a lot of LA Sheriff and LAPD activity (LAPD on P25), with steps of 12.5 Khz (2 Mhz/12.5 Khz = 160 channel steps), my AR-DV1 is taking, if it does not stop on anything, about 60 seconds (1 min). No kidding. That is about 3 channels per second. My 996XT and 536HP will cover that range in about 2 seconds, if that long.
Not only that, but in Auto mode, when the radio stops on activity, it chokes and stutters, especially when hitting a P25 LAPD station. In most cases, the radio keeps stuttering, and nothing happens until I manually turn the dial to keep it searching. Once in a while it will open up on P25 or FM. But it is really struggling.
I don't know what BamaScan is experiencing. I bring his name up because he seems to be the only other person commenting on the quality of the radio on this thread. For me to post a YouTube video would be a waste of time. This thing won't search or scan at more than 3 or 4 channels per second.
Jeff at Ham Station made the same comment to me last week when he was listening on an AR DV-1 in his store.
So while there is some good news on the HF front and some digital decoding, my unit is useless as anything resembling a scanner, an AR8600 Mk II that I have access to, or my IC R8500 or R-20. In other words, its useless for really following any VHF/UHF two-way radio activity right now unless I park it on one channel.
I am waiting for the new firmware, but frankly, I'm not expecting much improvement. My gut feeling tells me there is a CPU in this radio that is being taxed way beyond what it can deliver. I'm not a radio or software engineer, but come to think of it, I'm not an automotive engineer, and I know if my car is stuttering or just not running.
As I have typed this last post, my AR-DV1 has not stopped on any stations, and is chugging along at about 3 channels/sec in search mode. My 536HP has stopped several times on LA Sheriff FM and LAPD P25 NAC 466 channels in the same time on the same antenna through a Stridsberg coupler.
Not very encouraging.

slicerwizard

You don't know that. It would be nice if you stopped filling these forums with misinformation.

No, I believe the copyright/patent applies to transceiver or receiver (or anything else).
Then all of your postings should read I believe MotoTRBO trunking won't happen without a license from Motorola, as it's proprietary., but they never do.

Well, there were holes in the patent for the trunking (several in fact). Those were also analog formats so once you got to the correct frequency it was a non-issue. Digital formats are much more difficult for which to find loopholes. Not saying it can't be done - just that it's not remotely like the EDACS/Smartnet finds. BUT, the voice audio IS nothing more than standard DMR, so I suppose it might be possible to find a loophole for the trunking. Let's hope you're right.
Specifics. If you know what you're talking about, cite specific issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.