Radioshack Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well after the site being taken down and stating site was being updated and would be back up later.
Well it is later all Radioshack scanners listed as in store only sales and prices very per store.
You can still buy Whistler scanners online at the RS website.
Looks like we got our answer no more RS scanners and with them not answering me NO SUPPORT.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I've asked them numerous times about possibly getting an update for the Pro-18 and also asked if they'd release the firmware for Pro-651 so those that had bricked scanners could fix them. Never received any kind of acknowledgement other than the automated response. I don't expect they will respond to those requests.

Rob
K2RJJ

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
14 days and I did not even get the automated response. I emailed Whistler and they stated RS was responsible for firmware releases repairs and warranties Whistler would not help Great PR for a start up I was hoping for we can do this for a price but nope We built for RS they went under you are on your own. I had a battery eating problem with my 668 after wiping the scanner and reloading the firmware it is working better.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Has it crossed your mind Whistler is contractually bound to NOT provide support and updates for RS? Do you know the details of the RS/Whistler agreement(s)? I'd hardly blame Whistler. RS of course, yes.

It would be like asking Foxconn to provide support for your iPhone or Galaxy. Foxconn makes it, but it's up to the seller to support.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Have you thought that the RS contract may not have been paid for either or did the new buyer buy everything it is still in TN courts over the selling of the database of customers and what they bought.
Is the new owner going to pay off all of what is owed by RS.
So you think it is wrong for FORD to work on GM cars when FORD has a shop. As I see it RS dumped the scanner line and if I had a shop that built the scanner I sure would like the extra money from working on something for people with no were to turn.

Nasby

For the fantastic deals that RS had on scanners, such as the excellent PRO-668 and PRO-651/652, at their closing stores I really can't complain too much about lack of support.

Now if I had paid full price, it might be a different story.

If, on the slim chance I need one of my scanners repaired, I'll pay Uniden or G&C Repair the $50.00 to do it.

And firmware updates usually have very minimal effects on the overall performance of the units I've owned.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well I did pay $485.00 for my RS 668 scanner the day it came out. How about the bricked 651's and 652's that people bought that can not be reflashed because no firmware was ever posted.

marksmith

These are not Whistler's problems. People bricked their scanners putting firmware into them that was not for that scanner. Any radio with Radio Shack on it was never Whistler's obligation to fix or support at any time.

I'm sure they have a better margin selling someone a new Whistler scanner than fixing non-Whistler stuff.

It's been known for quite a while that Radio Shack was going away. I bought a few radios from them recently and had no expectations of support.

They will not be selling scanners at the new RS stores in the future. I think I said this before. The going forward RS stores will have a very thin inventory that does not include stuff like scanners.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Nasby

Well I did pay $485.00 for my RS 668 scanner the day it came out. How about the bricked 651's and 652's that people bought that can not be reflashed because no firmware was ever posted.

People bricked the PRO651/652's themselves. Almost like putting diesel fuel in a corvette.

Neither Radio Shack nor Whistler caused that.

Even though its a great radio, it does stink that you paid full price for the PRO-668.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
So both of you think all bricked scanners were done by the people that own them and they never sold those scanners to unknowing buyers. And by the way when your vette breaks throw it away it should not be fixed. THIS IS YOUR WORDS. No but Whistler has a repair shop that can charge to fix things. I see both of you as takers and not givers when you risk your life for others you tend to want to help people NOT WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM THEM.

Nasby

So both of you think all bricked scanners were done by the people that own them and they never sold those scanners to unknowing buyers. And by the way when your vette breaks throw it away it should not be fixed. THIS IS YOUR WORDS. No but Whistler has a repair shop that can charge to fix things. I see both of you as takers and not givers when you risk your life for others you tend to want to help people NOT WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM THEM.

You're changing the whole context of the post.

If a seller knowingly sells another person a used scanner that the seller bricked, then that is absolutely wrong on so many levels (morally, legally, etc.).

My comment was directed at a consumer buying a new scanner from RS and then bricking it by attempting to load firmware that was never designed for the scanner they purchased.

And I don't get what "risking your life for others" has to do with a discussion of Radio Shack Online????

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
And I don't get what "risking your life for others" has to do with a discussion of Radio Shack Online????

I think he's trying to say, "when you risk your life for others[,] you tend to want to help people[.]" He's likely referencing a current/past career and, in my option, taking this discussion down a needless path. As for the discussion of RadioShack Online, well the title of this post is misleading as it was never really about the website as it was a speculation that RadioShack might no longer provide support.

That being said, I understand the frustration. I would absolutely love a source of being able to get my units serviced, for a price, in the event something went wrong. However, I understand their stance on firmware. The brand that everyone bought into is RadioShack, there is nothing included with the scanners that says Whistler built the units. It's only a known fact because the information is widely shared on these forums. A single person probably owns hundreds of products that were manufactured by a different company. A normal consumer probably would have never known the original manufacturer, let alone contact them directly.

Does Whistler willfully want to leave the people with RadioShack scanners without support? I have not read a single convincing post either way. Whistler's dealing with the RadioShack scanners is with RadioShack only, not with its customers. I can guarantee that 99.9% of the users here knows nothing of the details of what was agreed to between the two companies, myself included. Whistler might have written a clause where any firmware update will require a payment before any updates will be given. On the other hand, there could be an agreement where Whistler will not touch these units without explicit approval. Anything outside of whatever terms they agreed to only invites legal troubles.

As for the whole firmware bricking, I agree with the corvette analogy. It is extremely unfortunate that there are people reselling dead units as working, but people being sold bad corvettes/scanners after the fact need to be an informed buyer. We have stickied the firmware posts at the top, and the wiki articles are very well marked with bold and red text warning of these issues. I would never, in my life, imagine buying a "working" corvette at a "working" price without at least making sure that it runs.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
To make a this short I am saying who I am as a person I go out of my way to either find a solution to or to be the solution to someone's problem. I do not expect Whistler to fix for free RS scanners. Just like owning a GM Dealership they work on Fords for a price just as Whistler could work on RS scanners for a price. A scanner was sold on this site that had half breed firmware or bricked firmware and had to be talked through reflashing the scanner so it would work. Not all buyers do the research before buying but they should not be left out because of others. I am dropping this as I no longer will respond about this subject.

mikepdx

Well after the site being taken down and stating site was being updated and would be back up later.
Well it is later all Radioshack scanners listed as in store only sales and prices very per store.
You can still buy Whistler scanners online at the RS website.
Looks like we got our answer no more RS scanners and with them not answering me NO SUPPORT.

I'm curious what you expect to get out of posting your rant here.
Are you expecting someone here to use some magic power
to force RS or Whistler to help you?

What kind of service do you realistically expect from a concern
that is or has gone bankrupt?

Spare us, and rant to what's left of Radio Shack corporate.
They're the only ones that could possibly help you.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Mike I have the right to my opinion just as you have the right to your opinion.
I have told RS Corporate what I think all they care for is selling SPRINT PHONES.
The new owners have done made it clear they are not going to service any scanners. Whistler has heard from me if you wish to support them that is your right I have the right to say that are not interested in helping anyone when they (Whistler has so much to gain) buy offering a service to a market that is wide open. I know no law that says 1 company can not work on another companies equipment.

scosgt

This is just silly. People bought RS branded scanners for as little as $50.00
Those are units that were designed to sell for as much as $500
Radio Shack contracted Whistler to build those units for them with their name on the front.
So Whistler does not choose to repair your $50 scanner in the hopes you will spend your money on a new Whistler scanner with a warranty.
That is their marketing plan and they have a right to it.

nbdyspclk

My 0.02 is BUYER BEWARE,everyone knew they (RS),where going out,yet people bought expensive hardware and electronics thinking THEY were going to expect support,the word BANKRUPT,has a different meaning I guess.when bankrupt,means ALL company interest,yes,including firmware updates (which come from support team,who have been let go because of BANKRUPTCY)cease and no amount of *****in,beefing nor ranting,will bring it about.thank you for your time.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Years ago I bought a gas grill from Sears ..... it was made for them by Charm-Broil.

One year and 10 days in while using he grill my wife lifted the lid and the hinge broke, pulling her arm over the grill and burning her.

I went to Sear ..... SORRY but the warranty is ONE YEAR.

Char-Broil made the grill and they had a multi-year warranty so I called them.

Charbroil - " Yes sir, we manufacture grills for Sears to their specifications and THEY warranty their product! "

Me - " But YOU made the grill. "

Charbroil - " Sorry! "

That is how it works in the REAL WORLD.

Now ask yourself this ........

" Are the WS1080 and the PRO-668 really the same scanner? "

I would note that there is what ... a $150 difference in MSRP ???

Radio Shack - $499.00
Whistler - $649.00

Why the difference ??????

Years ago Radio Shack sold Color TV under their own brand .... they were made by RCA and based on the RCA XL100 TV ....... but they were built by RCA according to Radio Shack specifications.

Having worked on both the RCA branded XL100's and the Radio Shack branded XL100's I can tell you that even though they both used identical chassis and printed circuit boards they were NOT the same.

AS TO Radio Shack and " no more scanners " ..........

Has Radio Shack officially said they will abandon the Scanner business .... or is everyone just assuming????

The new owners are just that .... new owners and struggling to get things right as best they can.

If Radio Shack owned money to Whistler Group then Whistler Group is out of that money as a result of the Bankruptcy .... they may recover some, maybe.

It is now up to the new owners to decide what they want to do and if they decide to get back with Scanners they are going to have to negotiate a contract with Whistler on their own ...... because the previous contract Whistler had with Radio Shack is null and void.

I could go on and on about retailers, bankruptcies, and manufacturers ( Ritz Camera / Canon Camera comes to mind ) but I think I have wasted enough of your time already.

;)

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
My 0.02 is BUYER BEWARE,everyone knew they (RS),where going out,yet people bought expensive hardware and electronics thinking THEY were going to expect support,the word BANKRUPT,has a different meaning I guess.when bankrupt,means ALL company interest,yes,including firmware updates (which come from support team,who have been let go because of BANKRUPTCY)cease and no amount of *****in,beefing nor ranting,will bring it about.thank you for your time.

What gets me is people walk into a closing store thinking they are buying product from Radio Shack.

But the reality is they are NOT buying from Radio Shack .... they are buying form the liquidators, who happen to be these folks .......

Hilco Merchant Resources

RadioShack Store Closing Sales began today, February 6, at over 1,700 locations throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico

Status
Not open for further replies.