• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR4550 VOX operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Looking to implement an IFB (interruptible fold back) system using an XPR4550. Would like to take advantage of the VOX feature for this, running 1 watt output. Manual seems to indicate that a rear accessory connection is required for VOX, and includes a secondary audio INPUT. I see a separate menu option for audio gain on the accessory input in CPS.

Anyone have reference material, pin-outs etc, that could help in configuring this set-up? The radio operates on a Connect Plus system, but this function will only be used on a conventional analog frequency licensed for IFB.

Paul

com501

All the information you need is in your System Planner and the Basic Service Manual for that radio, both available to be downloaded from your MOL account. You may, however, need to experiment with levels when using both inputs at once.

maximel

Hello,

I work for CBC / Radio-Canada television in Montréal. I do something like that.

I dont use the vox option. I use the PTT (Press to talk) pin to activate the TX of the radio. I put a "ip powerbar" to turn on or off the radio.

I not sure, but in connect plus system, is a digital audio, and is very bad (audio weak, and music no pass thru) for IFB.

Other thing, the system manager of the connect plus system maybe put a timeout like "60 or 120" second of PTT. the radio stop to TX after the timeout.

Also, dont forget to put a fan on rear of the xpr. i'ts came hot... ever 1 watt if you dont want to blow the PA of the radio.

Give me some news about your project.

Max

Looking to implement an IFB (interruptible fold back) system using an XPR4550. Would like to take advantage of the VOX feature for this, running 1 watt output. Manual seems to indicate that a rear accessory connection is required for VOX, and includes a secondary audio INPUT. I see a separate menu option for audio gain on the accessory input in CPS.

Anyone have reference material, pin-outs etc, that could help in configuring this set-up? The radio operates on a Connect Plus system, but this function will only be used on a conventional analog frequency licensed for IFB.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
COM, I found the XPR4580 detailed service manual, cannot find one for the XPR4550. I figured they are the same..........the (MAP) Mobile Accessory Port is the name for the rear connection? Would I use the TX audio input and any GRD pin on the back for audio in?

Max, did you connect through the rear accessory connector, or the front microphone port?

Also, if anyone knows how (CPS) to elevate the alert tone audio level from the rear auxiliary audio output, that would be wonderful. We have our base station XPR4550 on the opposite side of our building, and while the voice audio level is loud, the talk permit and end of transmission levels are inaudible. That means everyone who keys the mic on the base transmitter gets the first few seconds of their voice traffic clipped. Using the standard alert level off-sets only raises the alert tone volume coming out of the radio speaker, which is still active in this configuration.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Not wanting to fry anything....per the manual below. Assuming I can jack any LINE LEVEL source into the TX audio in, then adjust accessory mic gain to achive the desired audio level?

Transmit Audio

Transmit audio can be sourced from either the MMP or the MAP microphone paths found on
connectors J4001-30 or J4000-11 respectively. The MMP microphone carries a 9.3V bias through a
660 ohm load from R3532 and R3547 with a strong AC ground from C3524 through only a 560 ohm
load from R3547. Both MMP and MAP paths are routed to the MAKO separately. The MAP
microphone carries a 9.3V bias through a 660 ohm load from R3590 and R3535 with a strong AC
ground from C3543 through only a 560 ohm load from R3535. Depending on whether an MMP or
MAP PTT signal was activated, a single switching stage will route the correct microphone path to the
necessary gain stages and ADC that will send 16-bit PCM audio to the OMAP for signal processing
via the SSI bus.

The transmit gain stages in the MAKO is calibrated based on an 80mV input under standard test
conditions. The microphone sensitivity is programmable through the use of CPS.

maximel

Hello Paul,

Sorry for the delay.

Max, did you connect through the rear accessory connector, or the front microphone port?

By the rear connector. I use the pin 11 (TX audio) and pin 12 (audio ground). I use a 600 ohms audio transformer to "cut" the 5v and make a protection on the side of the IFB routing or intercom output)

For the transmit on, i use pin 17 (PTT) and 18 ground.

Also in the software, i put the audio pre-emphasis, de-emphasis on the channel detail
and on the radio RX side for better audio.

Max

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So if I jacked the line out of a Uniden BCD996XT directly into pins 11 and 12, that voltage would cause some concerns/damage? I've got a line audio out modification done on an Astro Spectra that utilized a 600ohm transformer on the IC board.

Thanks for the specifics Max!

Paul

maximel

Hello,

Ahhh! you dont use a XPR4550 for your project.... for the astro, you have the DB15 or DB25 on your radio? I give you the pin for a xpr4550

So if I jacked the line out of a Uniden BCD996XT directly into pins 11 and 12, that voltage would cause some concerns/damage? I've got a line audio out modification done on an Astro Spectra that utilized a 600ohm transformer on the IC board.

Thanks for the specifics Max!

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
No, this is for the XPR4550. I was just commenting I had to have a modification done to the Astro line out to get rid of the DC voltage! Why must electronic devices rely so heavily on electricity. :)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.