Help With Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
I need a little help with a scanner programming cable. I am going to be purchasing a BCT15X shortly and Noticed that the programming cable that comes with the unit is a 9 pin serial cable. The issue I have is that my laptop does not have a 9pin serial. I've seen the Uniden cable that plugs into the usb for $26. I have also seen a 9pin serial to usb for $9. Is there any difference and will they both work with the Scanner any info is appreciated.

marksmith

My experience is you will need the Uniden USB-1 cable, as the radio end is in fact not a USB connector, but a proprietary connector that goes into the 15x, 396xt, 996xt, 996t.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Programming Cable.

Either one will do. I use the $9 ones on all my computers.
It adapts from the 9 pin to USB. Make sure it comes with drivers for the computer.
The newer scanners ship with the USB cable instead of 9 pin.
The connector that goes into the scanner is the same from the Uniden BC246T to BC996XT.
Basically 2003-2012 made scanners.

I need a little help with a scanner programming cable. I am going to be purchasing a BCT15X shortly and Noticed that the programming cable that comes with the unit is a 9 pin serial cable. The issue I have is that my laptop does not have a 9pin serial. I've seen the Uniden cable that plugs into the usb for $26. I have also seen a 9pin serial to usb for $9. Is there any difference and will they both work with the Scanner any info is appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a great deal of information, along with models besides the USB-1 on this very topic in this wiki article (links are always blue)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Take careful note on the sections having to do with Windows 8 if you are using Win8.x on your PC. Unfortunately Micro-stupid introduced issues with USB drivers in this OS

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Note that all the model numbers mentioned in the wiki were discussed here and on other forums on this board. These lists are nowhere near comprehensive, as I'm sure there are other compatible USB-serial devices out there. If you know of these, and they work, feel free to add them to the list

Mike

cabletech

You can still use the serial cable on a computer without a serial port, just go get a good USB to serial adaptor.

I have several cables that I have to use an adaptor and they work just fine.

marksmith

That is in fact what the usb-1 cable is. A serial to usb adapter. You get the drivers for it, not the radio. 396x,996xt etc are serial native devices.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
Test Run Fail!!

So I Currently have a BCT8, so I decided to go to my local best buy and buy a 9 pin serial to usb. I read the Wiki Page and made sure the Cable had profilic 2303 which it did. Got home installed the driver that came with cord and doesn't work. I made sure I set the scanner to remote and the baud rate was correct and no dice. So i then got to the profilic page download the drivers and unistall the old ones. Install the new Driver and restart the computer and nothing, doesn't work. I don't know if it is my scanner or Myself but I hope I'm not going to run into this problem when I get my new scanner. I'm using windows vista 32bit. It get frustrating really quickly..

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
What software are you using to connect to the BCT8?

I am using the Uniden Re-band software and Acr8 Free Version.. Still No luck

N9JIG

Sheriff
In the Windows Device Manager does the serial adapter provide a Comm Port number? Also, does it appear with a yellow exclamation point icon?

fordman8970

Premium Subscriber
In the Windows Device Manager does the serial adapter provide a Comm Port number? Also, does it appear with a yellow exclamation point icon?

Yes, And I have com8 It also states that the device cannot start??
I wish there was a video or a guide to install these serial cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.