LASO in riverside co./ indio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

This is a strange one,,,ran across LASO doing a surveillance in Indio on the LASO Mutual aid freq... I figured they use the I-call or Clemars9 ...but did Not. Has anyone else ran into this sort of situation regarding use of freq... I thought LASO would not be licensed in another county due to overlap....

484.1375 mutual aid 4 san Gabriel

Last edited:

Aero125

Was it confirmed LASD deputies? If it was Im sure they just picked a random channel to use on direct for their needs, I doubt they were checking the county's FCC license boundaries before using their radios. I've been with deputies at a camp up in Kern county and we used whatever channel we wanted randomly knowing we wouldn't be heard by units back in LA.

scottyhetzel

I lived in temple station area decade ago, these guys sounded like they always do on L-tac.. I guess I will have to keep my 996 on out off counties freq. to find good stuff. I guess I never though other outside co. Agencies would do what you said....

Aero125

Also a lot of deputies think of the MA channels as not really assigned to anything such as LTAC ATAC, etc, etc, and use them on direct for whatever.. Within the county they often use the STAC channels for those ops.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There's a really neat trick buried in the Part 90 rules. It allows law enforcement agencies to operate low power on a non-interfering basis on any Part 90 frequency for the purposes of surveillance and other similar activities. It makes sense that they would use frequencies already programmed in their radios when operating outside their area. Who would think to listen to t-band in an area outside the radius where t-band is allowed.

PaulNDaOC

I will agree with Aero215 and confirm the average deputy will not know the restrictions issued by the FCC whatever they may be.

Even though I've heard of such restrictions, it's not something that would have entered my mind when I was at SCC and permission was sought to use a tactical frequency for an operation.

2wayfreq

I thought I read somewhere that Law Enforcement can use just about any unused frequency for covert purposes. Incorrect??

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I got one better for you.

LAWA PD units have traveled to out of state such as to Dallas for training and they continued to use their radios in simplex mode.

Closer to home in SoCal a few months ago there was a regional exercise at Ontario airport that had SWAT/K-9 and bomb squads from across the region from San Diego and Imperial Counties in the South to Kern County and Santa Barbara to the North participate. Most agencies stayed on their own radios for individual comms, with most joint comms being handled on UCALL/UTACs or CALAW.

I dont think the idea of potential local interference crosses anyone's mind.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I dont think the idea of potential local interference crosses anyone's mind.

It's up to us radio people to educate them.

I once had an opportunity to see how the Superbowl organizes radio communications for game officials and the media. Its a massive effort to coordinate with the locals to avoid mutual interference. Way too much trouble for cops to go through, but some minimal process is needed.

scottyhetzel

La flyer: interesting....
I know if I'm bored now I can scan area counties and hear some good stuff....it never x my mind...I was on my Los Angeles co. Scan list by accident.... My scan list are so large I can't continue scanning all counties...I would miss my local fire calls. Thanks for the feed back gentleman.

f40ph

Feed Provider
I've caught stuff like this (LA county law enforcement using random channels in San Bernardino County) with "close call" on Uniden. I really like that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.