DFD/DH into Englewood June 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
As kindly mentioned by nbdyspclk over at the http://forums.radioreference.com/colorado-radio-discussion-forum/88406-denver-pd-unit-ids.html, Denver City Council (without a single concern) has approved the IGA between Denver and Englewood on May 18th to assume fire protection and EMS for Englewood on June 1st. This same agreement was approved earlier in the month by Englewood City Council on May 4th with a 5-2 vote with some last minute concerns about the agreement.

As far as I know, Station 37 (555 W Jefferson Ave, Englewood Station 21) and Station 38 (4830 S Acoma St, Englewood Station 23) will be staffed with Engine 37 and Truck 38 respectively. The wording with the IGA states that an ambulance will be placed in each station for a total of two ambulances in Englewood, however I've heard that Denver Health might want to do something alternative to this so I'm not entirely certain of what will happen with that. Don't really know which District the new Englewood stations will end up being in.

Previous discussion: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...ng-contracting-out-firefighting-services.html

Last edited:

wtnfs

When did Denver Health start staffing Fire Stations with Ambulances?

June 1st. Should be an interesting change for them. I know of one person that was considering the move the Englewood gig for this very reason. Sitting in an ambulance or sit in a recliner, hmmm.

If I were to assume, the IGA may state this as a requirement. Since Denver did not annex Englewood, the rules Denver Health plays by in Denver do not transition over to Englewood. Because of the System Status posting of Denver Health, Englewood could lose ambo's quick during busy times. This is not what Englewood wants.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
But depending on the exact wording of the IGA those two ambulances in Englewood could possibly be exempt from SSM. Additionally will be interesting to see if they continue to bypass the level 1 at Swedish to bring all major trauma to DH.

Jim<

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The IGA actually only deals with DFD and Englewood. DH is not directly involved with the agreement at all, they subcontracted out by DFD to provide the EMS services. Englewood was very firm in their desire for transports to Swedish. Now if Swedish has some sort of divert status, there's really nothing stopping them from going to DH.

To quote the pertinent section of the IGA:
5. EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES: Denver shall arrange, by separate contract or by other means, for emergency medical services to be provided within the jurisdictional boundaries of Englewood, with Swedish Hospital being the primary hospital. The level of emergency medical services will be equivalent to that provided to Denver residents. During the Term of this Agreement, two ambulances with two paramedics for each ambulance will be based at the Fire Station Facilities identified in paragraph 10 below (&#8220;Englewood-Based Emergency Medical Services&#8221;). To the extent that additional emergency medical services are needed in Englewood beyond the Englewood-Based Medical Services, Denver shall arrange for that emergency medical service to be provided. If Denver should consider changing the provider(s) of the emergency medical services, Englewood will be consulted prior to any change.

And the pertinent section Council Bill No. 18 approved by Englewood City Council on May 18th:

WHEREAS, Denver Fire shall contract with Denver Health to provide two (2) ambulances housed in Englewood fire stations; and

WHEREAS, Denver Health has agreed to transport all emergency trauma patients to Swedish Hospital and abide by patient request for other facilities such as Porter Hospital when the condition allows; and

A little interesting note, DFD is actually going to take over ownership of at least one of the newer Englewood ambulances. I don't know if they plan on selling it, handing/selling it to DH, or using it. I was fairly sure that Denver usually tells the municipalities to sell it on their own in the past.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Effective Noon today DFD and DH will be moving into Englewood.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
As of noon today Englewood Fire Rescue is disbanded. Denver E-37, A-837 (old Station 21), T-38 & A-838 (old Station-23) are in service.

Jim<

Attachments

• 11330023_888814187856474_3175116587153382258_n.jpg
    11330023_888814187856474_3175116587153382258_n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

kc0kp

There were discussions to put Station 38 in Dist 3 and have 37 be in 7. Now there is discussion about moving chief 7 to be more centrally located say at 25s or 28s. There is a ready reserve at 28 that would have to me moved if the chief went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.