THP silent on PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Since last week, I have heard no traffic for District 1 (Knoxville), 2 (Tiftonia), or 5 (Fall Branch). Is this the shift to P25 Phase II that I have heard about?
So if I decide I want to continue to monitor THP, what is a good Phase II-capable scanner to buy?
If encryption is in the works, perhaps I should save my money.

Thanks.

n4yek

I just heard District 1 and District 5 both on the English Mtn site. I monitor them on a daily basis so they have been active all this past week.
I have seen District 5 use some encryption from time to time but haven't seen District 1 use it but probably do.

Last edited:

sambo300

Premium Subscriber
My Uniden Home Patrol-2 picks up district 5 perfect. Tried with my Dad's PRO-652.....wouldn't work. The HP-2 is phase II capable.....and the PRO-652 is not,as far as I know. I'm no expert,but I highly recommend the HP-2. What do you use to monitor THP Danny?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
THP has FDMA (Phase 1) and TDMA (Phase 2) TG's. The TDMA is also full time encrypted. Most daily operations are done on the FDMA TG's. Most of the Phase 2 is more for special ops etc.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Danny, I have re-loaded THP Dist 1 & 5 several times into my PSR-600, from Radio Reference via ARC-500. Still receiving nothing, this is why I suspect a change in the system. If you are still receiving, tell me what scanner you are using. It seems that if THP is now encrypted, I should at least here some noise. .

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Where are you located? The sites will only transmit audio if a radio is affiliated. You could be monitoring a site that doesn't have a radio affiliated to THP talkgroup.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
My PRS-600 is a mobile installation, I live in East Knox County. Knox County and VIPER TRS receiving OK-have line of sight to English Mtn and Green Top. I haven't suspected encryption, as there is no noise typical of encrypted transmission.

n4yek

Danny, I have re-loaded THP Dist 1 & 5 several times into my PSR-600, from Radio Reference via ARC-500. Still receiving nothing, this is why I suspect a change in the system. If you are still receiving, tell me what scanner you are using. It seems that if THP is now encrypted, I should at least here some noise. .
Thad, I don't know what to tell you. I was just listening to them, both District 1 (Knoxville) and District 5 (Fall Branch).
I can hear both Newport (English Mtn) and Greentop sites and I hear them on both with no problems.
I don't have a GRE made scanner, my scanner is a Uniden 396T so I can't help you with checking the program, wish I could.

Where are you located? The sites will only transmit audio if a radio is affiliated. You could be monitoring a site that doesn't have a radio affiliated to THP talkgroup.
Both sites are used by both districts quite a bit, the coverage sorta overlap each other which is why you hear both districts on both sites.

Last edited:

n4yek

Thad,
Something to try. (can't hurt since it doesn't work now) :)
Manually enter the 'band plan' into your TACN system.

Here is the band plan stored in my Uniden 396T scanner:
0: 851.00625 / 6.25 kHz step
1: 762.00625 / 6.25 kHz step

GRE, I believe, enters it like this in your scanner:

Lo Chan 0
Hi Chan 4095
Offset 0
Base Freq 851.00625
Step 6.25

Lo Chan 4096
Hi Chan 8191
Offset 4096
Base Freq 762.00625
Step 6.25

My Uniden stored this automatically, GRE should do it also but might be having issues on TACN if this does work for you.

Last edited:

jfhtm350

English Mtn control channel at this moment is 770.28125. "Tune" to that freq and see if you have a signal and hear CC noise.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Today (06/04) I reprogrammed the scanner with an earlier file and THP came alive. So nothing changed with the system-maybe my later downloads were incomplete. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.