• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Racal/Thales 25 Batteries and accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickles37

Does anyone know any source for accessories for the Racal/Thales 25 radios? They are now going quite cheaply on eBay, but there seem to be zero suppliers of accessories for them now, either on eBay or elsewhere. Looking in particular for the AA battery clam shells, or batteries and chargers.

Thanks!

PACNWDude

The few people I know that use them, have sent the battery packs to vendors who put new cells in them. They of course, already have the chargers.
As for accessories, they are sometimes found overseas, so searching auction sites in Canada, UK and Australia sometimes provides chargers and microphones.

TDR-94

That's why they are selling so cheaply, it's so hard to find any batteries for them.They're pretty much useless for anything other than parts if you don't have the clam shell or Li-Ion packs.Thales killed off all support and parts for them.The accessories are rare and hard to find.Some people still think they are sitting on a goldmine with these radios and want hundreds of dollars for them without being able to even verify if they work!

I see the chargers quite often on Feebay.Those are actually the easiest thing to find.People are dumping them because their batteries no longer hold a charge and getting a new battery from the OEM that supplied them to Thales,or a refurb, is about $160 each if you can get them at all.Some get lucky with buying the used ones if they still have decent life in them.

In the rare case that you find a AA clamshell pack it will probably run you about the same amount or more and the clamshell with alkalines can't supply enough power to operate the radio at the full 5 Watts if you need to transmit.It's limited to 2W max.

Someone on the Thales "yahoo's" group apparently has been successful at hack sawing open the Li-Ion packs and replacing the cells with some new ones and getting them to charge.There was also someone selling the new OEM supplied batteries for around $160,but that place has had issues with scammers so beware.

I have an "original" clip on style audio side connector and original clip on lapel mic that I'm looking to get rid of soon.I may also just get rid of this 503 radio all together along with the AA clamshell and screw on audio side connector,belt clip, box,manual and new wideband antenna. I haven't been all that impressed with these so far,but I haven't decided yet on what I want to do.Still mulling it over.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Did a quick Google search for you, and came up with a link to someone selling batteries:
Global Technology Systems - Two Way Radios - GTS

Before you cut it open, I read this on Honeywell Batteries website and it worked for me on this radio.
Program the weather into the radio, leave the radio on and volume up overnight, and completely discharge the battery.
Charge it up and do it again.
Try this 5 times before you give up on the battery.
Believe it or not, it worked for me when I had this radio. I've never really have tried it with other radios because Moto batteries are not a rare bird like this one is.

pickles37

Thanks for all the replies - good to have the GTS source at least even though expensive. I might just get adventurous and look into the battery rebuild trick...

Status
Not open for further replies.